Sponsored

Answered: Jeep Gladiator, "Active Braking"? Per Roadmaster definition?

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I am trying to figure out if the Jeep Gladiator has an "active braking" system the way Roadmaster defines it for their brake systems... Does anyone know what they mean?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am trying to figure out if the Jeep Gladiator has an "active braking" system the way Roadmaster defines it for their brake systems... Does anyone know what they mean?
You mean a towing brake systems? For flat towing a vehicle? Like behind a motorhome?

Jeep active braking is for when it detects a collision is imminent and it applies the brakes without driver input.
I can't see how it's related because the vehicle must be running with a clear view of the road ahead for the vehicle to apply the brakes.
What do you mean by "how they define it" ? What do they say?

OP
OP

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
You mean a towing brake systems? For flat towing a vehicle? Like behind a motorhome?

Jeep active braking is for when it detects a collision is imminent and it applies the brakes without driver input.
I can't see how it's related because the vehicle must be running with a clear view of the road ahead for the vehicle to apply the brakes.
What do you mean by "how they define it" ? What do they say?
Yeah, the aux braking system for flat towing.

That's the tricky bit. That's all they say. "Active Braking" and that some newer vehicles have it, even when the vehicle is off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the aux braking system for flat towing.

That's the tricky bit. That's all they say. "Active Braking" and that some newer vehicles have it, even when the vehicle is off.
Can't see how the Jeep could do active braking with the vehicle off. It relies on the camera setup high center of windshield and the ABS system, etc. to function. You have to build and modulate hydraulic pressure to apply the brakes (at the proper level of force AND without locking any wheels on wet or slippery surfaces). This means ABS must be active. I'm betting it's not on Jeep - and can't see how it would be on other vehicles, either - that would be a drain on the battery to keep all of that powered even in stand-by mode.

OP
OP

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
That's what I was thinking which makes the fact that they call it out in many places in their documentation strange. This is why I am thinking it means something other than the auto-braking systems based on proximity. I'll update the thread after speaking with their techs as others may benefit from the information.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I was thinking which makes the fact that they call it out in many places in their documentation strange. This is why I am thinking it means something other than the auto-braking systems based on proximity. I'll update the thread after speaking with their techs as others may benefit from the information.
Absolutely! Now you have me really curious!

OP
OP

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I have an answer:

When Roadmaster talks about "active braking" they are speaking of a form of electric assist. The example that the tech gave me was that if the brake pedal remains soft with the power off on the vehicle, it has an active braking system. The test he gave me was that you want the pedal to become stiff when tested. This indicates that it is building pressure on its own without the vehicle turned on.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have an answer:

When Roadmaster talks about "active braking" they are speaking of a form of electric assist. The example that the tech gave me was that if the brake pedal remains soft with the power off on the vehicle, it has an active braking system. The test he gave me was that you want the pedal to become stiff when tested. This indicates that it is building pressure on its own without the vehicle turned on.
OK so their terminology is different. Active braking is actually a safety feature. It means the vehicle will apply the brakes without your foot on the pedal.

They are referring more to the assist type - hydraulic, electric, electro-hydraulic, etc.
Get into my 2004 WJ, my 73 Javelin or my 82 SX4 and press the brake pedal - it will be hard, stiff - it's NOT giving any assist. If the pedal is soft, it's got power assist.
However, it will have brakes in any case, just take more of your foot effort to apply them.
So maybe they are referring to the fact that it's got hydraulic pressure building and not referring to the assist. On or off, you'd have brakes on these vehicles, not running you'd have to stand on the pedal to stop.

OP
OP

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Ride Report:

We took the rig around our neighborhood and can report that the system worked well, as expected. We had a way to watch the system from inside the Jeep and it released and braked when I expected it to.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ride Report:

We took the rig around our neighborhood and can report that the system worked well, as expected. We had a way to watch the system from inside the Jeep and it released and braked when I expected it to.
Can't beat a first-hand test and report! That will be handy for others wanting to tow their rig.

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Hey do you mind giving me a bit more info on what you are talking about? It sounds like you are flat towing your jeep behind your motor home and it is setup so that the Gladiator applies the brakes when you hit the brakes in the tow vehicle. If this is correct can you please give me a quick idea of what you connect to in order for this to operate? Plug type and location.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I would think that if active braking engages when you get too close to the vehicle in front of you, then, when towing your vehicle behind your camper, it'd be activated ALL the time (when live/powered up/etc.), applying the brakes, because of the proximity of the front of your vehicle to the rear of your camper 🤔 🤔 🤔

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would think that if active braking engages when you get too close to the vehicle in front of you, then, when towing your vehicle behind your camper, it'd be activated ALL the time (when live/powered up/etc.), applying the brakes, because of the proximity of the front of your vehicle to the rear of your camper 🤔 🤔 🤔
So you start your Jeep and leave it running while towing it?

My bet is that there's criteria for it to even work - since there are very specific instructions for flat towing vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator behind anything - that if you flat tow properly, even if you are silly and leave the engine running, it's not going to activate.
Likely it would have to be in a gear and indicating self-powered forward motion.

And finally - of course, anyone who has owned a vehicle - a Jeep - with FCW and active braking, knows all about this (if they have any interest in learning or reading)
This has to be possible because they don't know if you are driving through a field with tall corn, or brush or trees or rocks ->

Jeep Gladiator Answered: Jeep Gladiator, "Active Braking"? Per Roadmaster definition? 1655308651087
Sponsored