First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I tear down doors for a living
I have a overland 2020 without the tow package. From what I understand, my max towing capacity is 4000 pounds. I've also read that if I add a class 4 hitch, the towing capacity goes to 4500. My question is if there is anything else i can do to increase towing capacity. Perhaps changing gears or doing any other upgrades. I'm looking at getting a travel trailer and I would have a lot more options with a higher towing capacity.
Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I have a overland 2020 without the tow package. From what I understand, my max towing capacity is 4000 pounds. I've also read that if I add a class 4 hitch, the towing capacity goes to 4500. My question is if there is anything else i can do to increase towing capacity. Perhaps changing gears or doing any other upgrades. I'm looking at getting a travel trailer and I would have a lot more options with a higher towing capacity.
If you have the manual, having the automatic transmission is what improves your towing capacity significantly.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
You cannot legally change the towing capacity indicated by Jeep. You can only make it easier and safer to tow your max weight

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sell the Jeep and buy one with the rating you need. Sorry thats about the only way to increase it.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
You’d want to upgrade the cooling system. I have a 2020 overland with factory tow. The towing pkg says class IV hitch, hd cooling and a more powerful alternator. That gets you to 6k lbs (assuming automatic). I think the brakes are the same and I wouldn’t think the springs are different. I have my stock overload springs in the garage. They are trash. Ready for the recycling bin.

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
You’d want to upgrade the cooling system. I have a 2020 overland with factory tow. The towing pkg says class IV hitch, hd cooling and a more powerful alternator. That gets you to 6k lbs (assuming automatic). I think the brakes are the same and I wouldn’t think the springs are different. I have my stock overload springs in the garage. They are trash. Ready for the recycling bin.
Seriously though why would anyone want a manual in these if they expected to tow?

OP
OP

thetruth1983

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I tear down doors for a living
Thanks for the info guys. I have the automatic.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Seriously though why would anyone want a manual in these if they expected to tow?
I’ve never had an issues when towing with a manual transmission, but I intentionally didn’t buy one in the gladiator because of the big difference in tow capacity.
Sponsored