Sponsored

Increase towing capacity on High Altitude?

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Max tow does come with stiffer springs in the rear for increased payload. Wider axles are for stabilization front and rear.

again, plenty of thing you can do to make towing more comfortable, but nothing can be done to increase the tow rating of the truck since that is assigned my theJeep engineers.
High Altitude comes with the wider axles, and Airlift airbags will mimic stiffer springs for about $120.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
High Altitude comes with the wider axles, and Airlift airbags will mimic stiffer springs for about $120.
It does?

I thought the HA was essentially an Overland with an appearance package.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
Good to know.

3.73 gears. That’s the killer.
HA does not come default with cold weather package, would have liked this. About the only option I dont have

Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
HA does not come default with cold weather package, would have liked this. About the only option I dont have
I LOVE my cold weather package...the heated seats are awesome especially for when the lower back commences to hurtin'. In the winter, when it's really cold, do the remote start thingy and it actually turns on the heated driver's seat too 👍 👍 👍

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
I LOVE my cold weather package...the heated seats are awesome especially for when the lower back commences to hurtin'. In the winter, when it's really cold, do the remote start thingy and it actually turns on the heated driver's seat too 👍 👍 👍
I pulled the driver seat 1st month of ownership.. installed a WK2 ventilated seat with my factory leather.. Getting the vent/heat part to work has been put on hold for the moment

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
It does?

I thought the HA was essentially an Overland with an appearance package.
HA is a city rubicon, no lockers, no disco, all the safety bells and whistles

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
but at the end of the day if you get in a wreck pulling more weight than your truck is rated for, your insurance company can deny your claim and you can be held respondible.
Every time this internet echo chamber info gets posted I like to point out it's not true.
I know two people who were covered like nothing was wrong towing boats beyond their trucks capacity.
The issue that could come in is if you severely hurt or kill someone and they know you are rich and want to go after you beyond your insurance limits and can prove you were grossly negligent. A few hundred over weight, if they could even prove it (no one at an accident scene is weighing things) would probably not be gross negligence.

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
I did find that information...

It is strange why Jeep doesn't clearly outline this in the specifications for the Max-Tow.

From their website, they do mention that a Rubicon model they have shown on the page has a max payload of up to 1,160 pounds, whereas they offer an option for 1,700 pound 4x4 payload, but don't correlate it to the Max-Tow..
1700 payload is for base sport without towing options. The extra hitch equipment takes some payload away.

Max tow payload is 1650.

Sponsored

Jeep61

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Looking at a High Altitude but need towing for a motorcycle trailer. This 2023 does not have the tow package but does have the trailer plug ins for trailer lights..just no receiver. I’m afraid the dealership will simply offer an add on but not sure if it makes sense to mess with it and just move on to looking. I love the altitude package but need the towing. Surprised jeep even makes a Jeep without towing. I’ve owned several and all had it. Maybe an easy thing to add. Any thoughts? Trailer is 2000lbs and motorcycle is 1000 with gear.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at a High Altitude but need towing for a motorcycle trailer. This 2023 does not have the tow package but does have the trailer plug ins for trailer lights..just no receiver. I’m afraid the dealership will simply offer an add on but not sure if it makes sense to mess with it and just move on to looking. I love the altitude package but need the towing. Surprised jeep even makes a Jeep without towing. I’ve owned several and all had it. Maybe an easy thing to add. Any thoughts? Trailer is 2000lbs and motorcycle is 1000 with gear.
All Gladiators come with the trailer plug and trailer brake connector. The factory Tow Package provides a receiver, upgraded cooling, and greater towing capacity. It should handle what you plan to tow, but not much more. If you plan to tow regularly, I would recommend getting one with a factory installed Tow Package.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Every time this internet echo chamber info gets posted I like to point out it's not true.
I know two people who were covered like nothing was wrong towing boats beyond their trucks capacity.
The issue that could come in is if you severely hurt or kill someone and they know you are rich and want to go after you beyond your insurance limits and can prove you were grossly negligent. A few hundred over weight, if they could even prove it (no one at an accident scene is weighing things) would probably not be gross negligence.
Just because you know 2 people that got away with it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

It DOES happen and it gets damned expensive when you have to pay out of pocket for the repair of 2 or more vehicles. Not to mention any medical issues that arise, because it all becomes a civil action and the courts will nail you to a wall.

But you do you and hope you don't get bankrupted.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Just because you know 2 people that got away with it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

It DOES happen and it gets damned expensive
This is exactly the type of echo chamber post with no facts, figures, stats, or cases I'm talking about. I would love for the internet or chat gpt or something to show me one actual case, counselor, where someone was 200# over gvwr and lost the farm and was "nailed to a wall by the courts". You won't find anything without some other gross negligence involved, most likely drinking and/or reckless driving.

I have two actual cases, you have none.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
This is exactly the type of echo chamber post with no facts, figures, stats, or cases I'm talking about. I would love for the internet or chat gpt or something to show me one actual case, counselor, where someone was 200# over gvwr and lost the farm and was "nailed to a wall by the courts". You won't find anything without some other gross negligence involved, most likely drinking and/or reckless driving.

I have two actual cases, you have none.

How about my family personally lived through it.

You don't need details or stats or anything.

The insurance company already has all the info they need. A.) Tow vehicle VIN, from that they can get legal towing capability. B.) Trailer serial number, from that they can get the weight of the trailer and maximum load it can safely support. C.) Boat serial number, from that they can get the weight of the boat as it came from manufacturer empty, and with full fluids.

So Mr. Know Everything, that's all the info you get which you don't need. Bankruptcy from a Civil suit because insurance denied claim because the tow vehicle was overloaded by what it was towing.

Oh, and to your final disclaimer, neither alcohol nor recklessness were involved.
Sponsored