Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I thought 2020 Rubicons came with a 2” lift and with the automatic transmission Jeep gives them a 1000lb max towing increase over the Overland. Make it make sense. This is what I meant earlier with the marketing. It seems like some of the numbers come down to marketing.

I hear you, I plan to stick under the 6000lb rating.

The Overland has the tow package which seems to come with some of the same parts of the max tow package but not everything. Maybe if I get anywhere close to 6000lb adding a way to cool the transmission would be beneficial.
The Rubicon comes with springs that make it sit about an inch higher than other models. The Mopar 2" lift is an add-on that has to be installed after it leaves the factory. The major differences between the Rubicon and Overland (each with a tow package), that affect towing, are the springs and axles. The Overland is designed to have a much softer ride, and that affects towing capacity. If you look at the Jeep ads that show something being towed, most of the pictures are an Overland.
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I have to ask. If, as you claim, you aren't going to get anywhere near the rated maximum, why are you concerned with trying to 'recalculate' it and mods for increasing it?

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

That’s because the Overland looks great on camera.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

I have to ask. If, as you claim, you aren't going to get anywhere near the rated maximum, why are you concerned with trying to 'recalculate' it and mods for increasing it?
I’m thinking of buying a camping trailer and plan to rent some in the near future to see what I like. I never said I was modding to increase towing but some of the mods I’ve done may decrease the capacity if anything. I never had much faith in this truck towing much nor have I ever thought to tow more than I knew the truck was rated.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I’m thinking of buying a camping trailer and plan to rent some in the near future to see what I like.
No offense (🤣), but that doesn't really answer the question. Does that desire mean you are looking to push the towing limit? Or are you going to respect the rating it has regardless?

Your comments so far seem to contradict themselves. You aren't looking to push the limit, but you are considering upgrades to push the limit. And want a way to "recalculate" said limit. I'm just having trouble following. You might be over-thinking things.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

Well that wouldn’t be the first time. There are trailers out there between 5000-6000lb. I don’t really want to push it, but if it came down to it I want to have confidence in the components to haul 5000lb. The shop that did the lift was confident I wasn’t sabotaging the tow rating.

It made sense to me there would be several factors that could effect the rating and possibly a way to recalculate it, but all I’ve heard is conjecture that lifting and tire size effects the rating but how do you really know if you can’t calculate the rating? I have no doubt tire size could effect something, but how much? The quality of the components in the lift kit, probably have something to do with it, but I’ll never know, so I’ll stick to 6000lb.

I’ll just tow and see what happens, react accordingly. Thanks everyone.

No offense (🤣), but that doesn't really answer the question. Does that desire mean you are looking to push the towing limit? Or are you going to respect the rating it has regardless?

Your comments so far seem to contradict themselves. You aren't looking to push the limit, but you are considering upgrades to push the limit. And want a way to "recalculate" said limit. I'm just having trouble following. You might be over-thinking things.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought 2020 Rubicons came with a 2” lift and with the automatic transmission Jeep gives them a 1000lb max towing increase over the Overland. Make it make sense. This is what I meant earlier with the marketing. It seems like some of the numbers come down to marketing.

I hear you, I plan to stick under the 6000lb rating.

The Overland has the tow package which seems to come with some of the same parts of the max tow package but not everything. Maybe if I get anywhere close to 6000lb adding a way to cool the transmission would be beneficial.
Wrong. There is no 2" lift on Rubicon. You heard that wrong.
They do sit higher, but it's not a lift per se.
The Rubicon also has wider axles.
I think you've been reading things wrong or listening to the wrong forum posts.

These also already come with transmission cooling. You aren't going to increase anything with an added cooler. Even on tough hills towing 5,000 pounds, mine stays cool.

Here is your list - and everything on your truck REDUCES towing and payload -

2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland

Icon 2.5" Stage 5 Lift Kit
Icon Bump Stocks
Icon Steering Stabilizer
Yukon 4.56 Ratio Gears
Method Race Wheels 701 Trail Series, 17x8.5 Matte Black
Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R17LT

From stock, better handling, stiffer and more responsive suspension, feels like more power, but still ~2500rpm on highway, at the expense of 2-3 mpg gas mileage. Overall, way more fun to drive. Way better on the highway and off road. I wanted to keep the same look of the Overland package, but get better performance and a nice level stance.
Lift kit reduces your payload and towing.
Bigger tires reduce braking ability, and towing.
The fact that you admit you have LOST mpg should tell you that you are spending some of that HP moving those bigger, heavier wheels with more rolling resistance on the highway.
You lost MPG - clue - you also lost ability to tow and haul payload.
Bigger diameter tires reduce braking ability.
Overlands are rated with 32.2" tires. If your tires are even 34.5", you have added 2" to the tires, reducing stopping (increasing load on the brakes) and impacting handling in an emergency, plus adding to the STRESS on your axles and bearings.

You made it look pretty to impress, but stepped backwards for towing and payload.
My Overland will out-maneuver yours in an emergency, will stop faster and pull better.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking of buying a camping trailer and plan to rent some in the near future to see what I like. I never said I was modding to increase towing but some of the mods I’ve done may decrease the capacity if anything. I never had much faith in this truck towing much nor have I ever thought to tow more than I knew the truck was rated.
Contradiction - you want to increase towing, ask about recalculating it, then say you never had much faith in it as towing?

Bigger tires, more weight, and lifts reduce towing ability.

Bottom line - Overland has a 6,000 pound tow rating.
Anything you do to it that adds weight, increases tire size and weight and so on, impacts that in a negative way.
Lifts and bigger tires are a good way to negate some of that capacity.

You did come in asking about calculating towing capacity.

Is there a way to calculate towing capacity after regearing?

The 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland originally came with max tow package, automatic transmission, 3.73 gear ratio. The Gladiator now has 4.56 gear ratio, more rigid higher performance suspension, new rear wheel bearings. How do I know what the new maximum towing capacity is?

I'm guessing it's around 7,000lbs similar to a Rubicon with 4.10 gears, automatic transmission and max tow package. I don't want to really get anywhere close to the maximum, but it's good to know.
See - you said you were guessing it was now 1,000 HIGHER, and yet you said........... oh, never mind.

Overland is 6,000 pounds.
You can only go down, not up.
Your last comments suggest you knew you bought the wrong truck but were hoping to get validation for towing more with your mods.

That's my take for what it's worth.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

Contradiction - you want to increase towing, ask about recalculating it, then say you never had much faith in it as towing?

Bigger tires, more weight, and lifts reduce towing ability.

Bottom line - Overland has a 6,000 pound tow rating.
Anything you do to it that adds weight, increases tire size and weight and so on, impacts that in a negative way.
Lifts and bigger tires are a good way to negate some of that capacity.

You did come in asking about calculating towing capacity.

See - you said you were guessing it was now 1,000 HIGHER, and yet you said........... oh, never mind.

Overland is 6,000 pounds.
You can only go down, not up.
Your last comments suggest you knew you bought the wrong truck but were hoping to get validation for towing more with your mods.

That's my take for what it's worth.
You are making assumptions. I wasn't seeking validation. I was asking a question. I've owned the truck for three years and quite like it. I don't want another.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You are making assumptions. I wasn't seeking validation. I was asking a question. I've owned the truck for three years and quite like it. I don't want another.
When you do start towing the travel trailer, look at a set of the air bags to go inside the rear springs. That will help with reducing the squat, and when aired down will let it ride normal.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Overland for almost four years. I looked at trading it in, but the dealer was not very accommodating. I've decided that I'm just going to keep it, especially after seeing some of the problems that showed up with the newer models.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

When you do start towing the travel trailer, look at a set of the air bags to go inside the rear springs. That will help with reducing the squat, and when aired down will let it ride normal.
That is the plan!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well this was interesting.
Seriously, was it just ME or were there actually mixed messages? (contradictions).
Maybe I'm going crazy(ier)

Mad Dog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Chemist
At least you didn't get a manual transmission. Then your max is at 4500 lbs.

storyg

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP JK
ShadowsPapa is right on with his answer to you. The following bullet list should also help. All of these bullet points make up the Max Tow package. Which affects the production line such that you want this, then you buy the Gladiator that specifically includes the below. One of the main differences is the Heavy Duty Engine Cooling but really all of points combine to provide the safest and proper equipment. Including the capabilities of the tires.

Miles per Gallon can drop even when not towing versus a lower ratio simply because engine RPM's will be increased for any given task. The difference will vary depend on how the JEEP is driven and where. Little details like the Daytime Running Lamp System that is already activated with the Max Tow package is smart. The larger alternator makes sure additional amperage loads that may present themselves can be handled without stressing a lower-amp alternator. Is the trailer-hitch zoom fluff? Oh no! First time you back up to a trailer hitch, you will really like this included feature. No more confusing hand signals from someone that also isn't standing where you can see them anyway. Perhaps no blistering conversation during or after the hookup attempts/fails/scratches/dents either. If your trailer is wired per standards AND tested to be such, before you hook it up the first time, this is about as Plug and Play as you can get. Other than you may have to invest in a trailer brake controller; depending on what your towing needs and what the Gladiator is equipped with.

• 240 Amp Alternator
  • All-Terrain Tires
  • 4.10 Axle Ratio
  • Trac-Lok Anti-Spin Rear Differential
  • 2-Piece Fender Flares
  • Class IV Hitch Receiver
  • Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide Front Axle
  • Daytime Running Lamp System
  • Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
  • Trailer-Hitch Zoom

Is there a way to calculate towing capacity after regearing?

The 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland originally came with max tow package, automatic transmission, 3.73 gear ratio. The Gladiator now has 4.56 gear ratio, more rigid higher performance suspension, new rear wheel bearings. How do I know what the new maximum towing capacity is?

I'm guessing it's around 7,000lbs similar to a Rubicon with 4.10 gears, automatic transmission and max tow package. I don't want to really get anywhere close to the maximum, but it's good to know.
Sponsored