• Watchers 4

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
Shadow and Sharp, you guys act like your full time job is to be unified and condescending rectums to every contributor that refuses to bow to your wims. It’s so toxic, and everyone just lets you defecate where they eat and sleep for fear of mob reprisals. Charlatans and bullies are not role models, guys.

It’s possible to talk through the legal and theoretical mechanical capacities of our JTs without leading folks astray or acting like rectums. C’mon guys.
His question was a simple thought experiment. Damn.
Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
6K is more than enough for any GLadiator. I have the Max Tow Sport S and would not tow anywhere near 6K even with the 7650 capacity. The one time I did thin about it I regained my brain capacity!

My current travel trailer is a Grand Design Imagine AIM 15rb with a UVW of 3594 and GVWR of about 4795. Length 19’11 and empty hitch of 378 meaning even at 15% of GVWR on the tongue I am still well within my numbers..

The trailer is well below my tow capacity and even better well below the weight of my Gladiator.

Perfect couples camper. Towed it in 20 mph crosswind and it held true and straight with a WDH and sway control.

Jeep Gladiator Calculate towing capacity? IMG_4830

Jeep Gladiator Calculate towing capacity? Resized_20230509_145058

Jeep Gladiator Calculate towing capacity? IMG_4862

IMG_4864.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Shadow and Sharp, you guys act like your full time job is to be unified and condescending rectums to every contributor that refuses to bow to your wims. It’s so toxic, and everyone just lets you defecate where they eat and sleep for fear of mob reprisals. Charlatans and bullies are not role models, guys.

It’s possible to talk through the legal and theoretical mechanical capacities of our JTs without leading folks astray or acting like rectums. C’mon guys.
His question was a simple thought experiment. Damn.
And I can recall some of your posts about the same.

He was contradictory - mixed messages.
We tried to say what's been said here a dozen times at least - modifications may reduce, but you aren't going to bolt stuff on and increase it. (he also failed to mention the lift and other mods he listed in another thread).
He asked, we answered, then he came back with "yeah, but........" and then later totally contradicted what he was saying in the first post.
Go back and read every post he made from the first. He couldn't accept what was said (even though we've said it all here for years).

The sticker for the Overland shows everything in the max tow except the anti-spin differential. Is that really the difference between 6500-7650 pounds max tow?
He kept at it wanting to know which part was the issue.
(his original post was also edited a couple of times - once by him, another by a mod making it a bit difficult to later see where he was as he went back and forth a couple of times. )

He also suggested a max of 7650 pounds towing, then -
Just figured if I changed out basically everything about the Overland to make it more similar to a Rubicon I'd get a little bump in tow capacity.
So assuming a new max of 7650, not wanting to get near that, but was disillusioned by the 6,000 pound limit - you can see where that's going by reading all of his posts (which aren't exactly all intact at this point)
6,000 isn't enough.
Assuming 7650 new max
Not going up to the new max - and with his lift, big heavy tires and other mods, he'd actually be below 6,000 pounds, not above.
In short, he didn't get it - and I'm not the only one who saw that judging from the other reactions and likes.

And finally, doesn't this contradict what his original question was? He asked how much his changes INCREASED towing capacity, was guessing it increased it to 7650, then later says this - the exact opposite -
I never said I was modding to increase towing but some of the mods I’ve done may decrease the capacity if anything. I never had much faith in this truck towing much nor have I ever thought to tow more than I knew the truck was rated.
directly contradicting his earlier question -
Deleted member 56855 said:
The 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland originally came with max tow package, automatic transmission, 3.73 gear ratio. The Gladiator now has 4.56 gear ratio, more rigid higher performance suspension, new rear wheel bearings. How do I know what the new maximum towing capacity is?

I'm guessing it's around 7,650lbs
We tried to lead the horse to water, but he refused to drink - or even look at the pond and wonder.....

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Since everyone like to talk about weights, what about the frontal area limits called out?
Our trucks have a max of 55 sq ft (mine only 40 sq ft).

The Manual calls out.

Frontal Area
The frontal area is the maximum height
multiplied by the maximum width of the front of
a trailer.

So for an 8' wide trailer, that is a max height of 6"-10", right?
I dont believe this airstream they have touted meets that.

2021_Jeep_Gladiator.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Since everyone like to talk about weights, what about the frontal area limits called out?
Our trucks have a max of 55 sq ft (mine only 40 sq ft).

The Manual calls out.

Frontal Area
The frontal area is the maximum height
multiplied by the maximum width of the front of
a trailer.

So for an 8' wide trailer, that is a max height of 6"-10", right?
I dont believe this airstream they have touted meets that.

Jeep Gladiator Calculate towing capacity? 2021_Jeep_Gladiator
I've wondered that myself - and then got deep into threads in OTHER forums about towing and trailers and RVs and so on, and in the end, it got really complicated as they said that they're talking flat faces, and curves and angles behave differently, and the drag coefficients and so on - and guess what. I gave up and decided - it will tell me if it's too much frontage.........
Ford, for example, said that it means take the frontage of your truck, then add to that the difference where the trailer sticks out and I'm thinking - yeah, but isn't that the same thing, just going around the back to get that number?

And then look at the sag on that Overland.............if he's driving at night, he's going to get FLASHED (and I don't mean like in New Orleans a certain time of year)

Jeep is one of those - do as I say, not as I do - companies.

Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Yea, I have seen different definitions from different manufactures, but jeep is pretty straight forward on how they have defined it.

Isn't " it will tell me if it's too much frontage " any different than saying the same with weight?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I have seen different definitions from different manufactures, but jeep is pretty straight forward on how they have defined it.

Isn't " it will tell me if it's too much frontage " any different than saying the same with weight?
Naw - different - too much frontage and it will be blown backwards instead of going forward.
When you are going down hill and can't keep up the speed limit, your sail is too high.
Mostly joking around as I have always gotten a kick out of their photos showing these towing crazy loads - weight and frontage.
Too much frontage that engine is going to work HARD and the transmission may run hot. More of a self-destruction thing than safety - but it's safety if you can't keep moving in heavy traffic and are a hindrance so I guess that doesn't work either. It's both destructive and dangerous.

I really do wonder how some folks pull their tall, flat-fronted rigs with these. The wind resistance is brutal. Maybe they watch the weather forecast and look for the winds to shift around before leaving.
Maybe the trailer in the marketing photo has been in a wind tunnel - maybe they did all of the calculations and took the shot with a good tail wind.

Jeep is clear - take this times that to get this number and it needs to be less than this.
With an angular or rounded front - so much comes into play - I wonder how they handle that?

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

One of the differences I think is that insurance companies and law enforcement deem the tow limit weight to be a safety and legal liability deal. Exceed it and you have garnered liability and are potentially unsafe (cannot stop, etc)

Frontal area is looked at as a truck performance issue. Your truck will not perform as well.

Many manufacturers say this with the frontal area limit “Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your towing vehicle”.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One of the differences I think is that insurance companies and law enforcement deem the tow limit weight to be a legal liability deal. Exceed it and you have garnered liability.

Frontal area is looked at as a truck performance issue. Your truck will not perform as well.

Many manufacturers say this with the frontal area limit “Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your towing vehicle”.
True - a good wind reduced the performance even without towing. Going down hill, 70 mph, 5th or 6th gear just to keep the speed up? All due to wind. I drove for miles a while back and the truck's refusal to upshift was all wind. And if you watch the temperatures, things begin to heat up.

Failure to control vs. burning it to the ground??

Big John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M715x2, 92 YJ, 20 Gladiator
6K is more than enough for any GLadiator. I have the Max Tow Sport S and would not tow anywhere near 6K even with the 7650 capacity. The one time I did thin about it I regained my brain capacity!

My current travel trailer is a Grand Design Imagine AIM 15rb with a UVW of 3594 and GVWR of about 4795. Length 19’11 and empty hitch of 378 meaning even at 15% of GVWR on the tongue I am still well within my numbers..

The trailer is well below my tow capacity and even better well below the weight of my Gladiator.

Perfect couples camper. Towed it in 20 mph crosswind and it held true and straight with a WDH and sway control.

That is a good looking camper and a very nice tow setup!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Holy Crap….you all bullied the poor user all the way off the forum….intense…it just says “deleted member” now for thread OP
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: KVJ