Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
The diesel option adds about 400 pounds to the front end. The biggest limitation to towing capacity for the diesel model is the cooling capability of the Jeep front end design. The diesel engine is quite capable, but tends to overheat under heavy load in the Jeep body.
Yes, that is unfortunate and was confusing me for a bit when I ordered. Went with gas Max Tow instead...
Sponsored

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
What I'm not fully understanding is tongue weight. With max tow of 7650 and tongue of 765, you have to be perfectly on 10%.

In the commercial they were towing a 27' Airstream International that has a tongue weight of 800+. Assuming they also were using a weight distributing hitch, that could add another 100+ lbs.

This was an odd choice by the marketing team. The 27' airstreams have a GVWR themselves of 7600lbs, right inside the max tow rating, but they're designed to be in between 10- 15% tongue weight unloaded (unloaded 6100#).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What I'm not fully understanding is tongue weight. With max tow of 7650 and tongue of 765, you have to be perfectly on 10%.

In the commercial they were towing a 27' Airstream International that has a tongue weight of 800+. Assuming they also were using a weight distributing hitch, that could add another 100+ lbs.

This was an odd choice by the marketing team. The 27' airstreams have a GVWR themselves of 7600lbs, right inside the max tow rating, but they're designed to be in between 10- 15% tongue weight unloaded (unloaded 6100#).
I've seen numbers as low as 8% depending on the trailer, the numbers are for typical weight trailers, and typical loading, height, etc. I can't recall the formula but a trailer company I was researching said that it was either trailers over a certain weight, or maybe it was under a certain weight, should have the lower end of the range - they were talking 8 to 10%.
I wish I could find that document again as they explained the 10-15 is so oft repeated it's being applied to all trailers, all hitches, and all trailer weights.

Here's a quote from one hitch and scale company -
Weigh Safe – as well as most experts agree – that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 to 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW). Therefore, if you are towing a 5000 lbs trailer, the tongue weight should be measured at approximately 500 lbs.

No one should be towing 7650 pound trailers with these. Only a fool would take things that high even on a max tow version. So actually, your argument wouldn't fly in the real world.

My WDH never weighed any 100 pounds - and I had a heck of a heavy-duty version because my first flatbed trailer, all by itself, empty, was about 3,000-3,500 pounds and I hauled tractors on it. Granted, it was behind a F250 4x4 with HD suspension and brakes and a 15,000 pound receiver....

Well, I found one company that makes trailer stuff that supports what I read months ago - I was not remembering it incorrectly.............

Jeep Gladiator Mojave towing capacity? 1656017162316

Here's another - I knew that the 10-15 was just too generic. Chevrolet says that doesn't apply to all trailers or trailer types.
I believe I saw a place that said with the front trailer axle xx distance from the hitch would be a different percentage. Chevy agrees - not all are the same. They say look at the book -

Jeep Gladiator Mojave towing capacity? 1656017462536

Another snippet from GM - although a WDH does not mean the tongue weight doesn't count against your payload (it does under any conditions) a WDH does take weight off the ball - so if you have a max tongue weight of 700 pounds, a WDH helps cover that by taking it off the ball. It still counts against payload, though.
Jeep Gladiator Mojave towing capacity? 1656017691032

And finally, the max tongue weight ratings of hitches, etc. are generally for weight carrying hitches............ WDH moves the weight.

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
Ok. That makes sense that the distribution hitch would pull perceived weight off the rear axle.

I bought the weight safe hitch because I use it for a 18' flat trailer. Just to make sure I'm not going over tongue weight and distribution is good. However with the tractor, trailer and hitch I'm close to 7k.

The weigh safe distribution hitch is 138# and the pro pride 3P is 195lb.

I haven't looked at Reece or Equalizer hitch weights but they certainly don't look like they weigh all that much more than a standard hitch.
Sponsored