Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No sooner did you post this, I found the missing harness underneath my passenger seat, must have dropped it. apologies for the misdirection.

Thank you-
Been down that road more than once in my life and it will almost certainly happen again!
Sponsored

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
I just purchased a 2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave.
I need to install the trailer brake controller (Electric brake assist for trailer brakes).
Mopar lists a brake assist part number 82215652AB for the 2019-2021 Jeep Gladiator.

HOWEVER, it says on the Mopar web site that it's NOT for the 2022 Gladiator.

Has anyone tried it on their 2022 Gladiator?
OR does anyone know if Mopar plans on putting one out for the 2022 model year?
Thanks
Brian
Go with the Curt echo. Easy to use, plug and play. Done!

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Been down that road more than once in my life and it will almost certainly happen again!
Yup
Been there
Done that
What was this thread about again?
:rock:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Railpoler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green D Gladiator, 06 TDI Golf, 74 Thing
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I recently installed the Mopar trailer brake controller in my Gladiator that was built in February of 2022. There was a second wire harness connector not used for the trailer brake that was tucked into the area where the module gets bolted in place. It was held there by a several square inch sheet of a sticky substance with a plastic backing sheet. Anyone have any ideas what this is for? Picture attached.

4AB5E991-99D2-441D-9F01-26EED3DFE0D3.jpeg

rigger 17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Help Please :: Hello : I traded in my 2020 sport gladiator for 2022 rubicon gladiator . I am having no luck locating the plug for the brake control harness . Can you let me know if the plug is in a different location. I pulled off the trim panel under the steering wheel and have been looking for it . Any suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks

astronerd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.astronerd.net
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Sport S, 14 Mustang GT/CS, 04 Honda Pilot
Occupation
Finance/Accounting
I‘ll put my 2¢ in. I upgraded a few years ago to the Tekonsha Prodigy P3, it’s been great. SO MUCH better than the Hopkins controller I was sold way back when I bought my first camper. Price wise, at around $120ish, it’s much less expensive than the Mopar and other ones mentioned in this thread. I’m not a fan of using my phone for such things and I definitely prefer to go with a directly wired solution over a wireless/Bluetooth option.

I‘m taking delivery of my Sport S Max-Tow tomorrow and have the Gladiator wire connecter on order for the P3.

-Mike

60 Something

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow Package
I just purchased a 2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave.
I need to install the trailer brake controller (Electric brake assist for trailer brakes).
Mopar lists a brake assist part number 82215652AB for the 2019-2021 Jeep Gladiator.

HOWEVER, it says on the Mopar web site that it's NOT for the 2022 Gladiator.

Has anyone tried it on their 2022 Gladiator?
OR does anyone know if Mopar plans on putting one out for the 2022 model year?
Thanks
Brian
I have a 2022 Sport S with the max towing package. The dealer told me that integrated brake controller would not work on my Gladiator. I managed to navigate Jeep customer service and reached a technical rep who seemed very knowledgeable.

He said that my model needs integrated part number 82215652AD that would be available mid May. Most that are being sold are 82215652AB so it appears that this part is two revisions higher.

I’m still trying to figure it out. My dealer is less than helpful.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2022 Sport S with the max towing package. The dealer told me that integrated brake controller would not work on my Gladiator. I managed to navigate Jeep customer service and reached a technical rep who seemed very knowledgeable.

He said that my model needs integrated part number 82215652AD that would be available mid May. Most that are being sold are 82215652AB so it appears that this part is two revisions higher.

I’m still trying to figure it out. My dealer is less than helpful.
They do not integrate. Not unless they have come up with an entirely NEW brake controller.
Gladiators have never had integrated trailer brake controllers. You simply install them - Curt, Tekonsha, Redarc, MOPAR, they simply plug into the harness all exactly the same (NOT referring to the Curt Echo, that's a different setup so leave that out of this discussion)
Anyway, any of the standard trailer brake controllers plug into the left kick panel 4 position/4 wire connector. There is no integration.

If there is, it's brand new with a new part number and not a basic suffix revision of a single letter at the end.
But your two part numbers tell me they are the same brake controllers with only a minor revision - probably for bracket, different wiring harness, maybe a different design knob. But an AB to AD change is a revision only, not a new part. That says - no integration.

I'll tell you this as well, when I went through the fiasco when these first came out, installing mine, etc. - even my dealership found out the customer support and PARTS support people had no clue what they were talking about. Everyone all the way up the chain, even STAR, said that a whole other harness was needed for Gladiator. That was very wrong.
So I'm not sure who to tell you who to believe because when STAR, customer support, and the main FCA parts people are wrong or clueless........... I'd personally sit back a bit or go another route.

Reactions: mog

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
When I bought mine, I asked them to install the Mopar one for me as part of the purchase deal. They said they couldn't, even if I paid them. Obviously that turned out to be wrong, but dealers were pretty confused about the parts early on, clearly.

Unrelated, do any of the 3rd party options (excluding Mopar) fit in to the same dash spot? That is unused space for me, would like to use it when I add the controller.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought mine, I asked them to install the Mopar one for me as part of the purchase deal. They said they couldn't, even if I paid them. Obviously that turned out to be wrong, but dealers were pretty confused about the parts early on, clearly.

Unrelated, do any of the 3rd party options (excluding Mopar) fit in to the same dash spot? That is unused space for me, would like to use it when I add the controller.
This is how I installed a Redarc controller in the 12v outlet area which is how the MOPAR version goes.

Jeep Gladiator trailer brake controller for 2022 Jeep Gladiator 18-20200915_144204_HDR

I put the box here, behind the panel under the steering column, but later added a small aluminum bracket to help support it...

Jeep Gladiator trailer brake controller for 2022 Jeep Gladiator 11-20200915_111801

Jeep Gladiator trailer brake controller for 2022 Jeep Gladiator 13-20200915_114640_HDR

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
The 'ring' above is pn# TPSI-003 ($9.50 on the Redarc website)
Jeep Gladiator trailer brake controller for 2022 Jeep Gladiator ring1
Jeep Gladiator trailer brake controller for 2022 Jeep Gladiator ring2

60 Something

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow Package
They do not integrate. Not unless they have come up with an entirely NEW brake controller.
Gladiators have never had integrated trailer brake controllers. You simply install them - Curt, Tekonsha, Redarc, MOPAR, they simply plug into the harness all exactly the same (NOT referring to the Curt Echo, that's a different setup so leave that out of this discussion)
Anyway, any of the standard trailer brake controllers plug into the left kick panel 4 position/4 wire connector. There is no integration.

If there is, it's brand new with a new part number and not a basic suffix revision of a single letter at the end.
But your two part numbers tell me they are the same brake controllers with only a minor revision - probably for bracket, different wiring harness, maybe a different design knob. But an AB to AD change is a revision only, not a new part. That says - no integration.

I'll tell you this as well, when I went through the fiasco when these first came out, installing mine, etc. - even my dealership found out the customer support and PARTS support people had no clue what they were talking about. Everyone all the way up the chain, even STAR, said that a whole other harness was needed for Gladiator. That was very wrong.
So I'm not sure who to tell you who to believe because when STAR, customer support, and the main FCA parts people are wrong or clueless........... I'd personally sit back a bit or go another route.
Thanks for the reply ShadowsPapa. I used the term integrated because that‘s what Mopar called it. Probably because in integrates into the dashboard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

There must Be some difference or they would not have pushed out a new revision. My VIN does not show 82215652AB as being compatible and the dealer would not install it. Maybe it would work or maybe not, but the tech rep said the 82215652AD is compatible with my VIN.

At any rate Jeep has made this more difficult than it should be.

Followup: I purchased the 82215652AD and installed it in my Gladiator and it works great. I did run into an issue during the install. The manual button would stick. The problem turned out to be the silver colored insert in the hole where the button goes. It came from the factory in the wrong position. After I removed the insert and rotated it to the correct position, the insert snapped in place and the button worked freely. Go figure. Any way I’m pleased with its operation.

Last edited: