Sponsored

Any issue putting the 850w fan on with the base alternator?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Might take a chance....seems legit.

Screenshot_20230119-192233_eBay.jpg
Yeah, they may buy out closing inventory. Some friends of mine did that back in the 80s and are now making whale of a killing selling those parts for many many times what they paid for those of us trying to restore cars.
Dealerships go bust, parts inventory sometimes gets sold, parts stores go bust........... in fact O'Reilly's started that way if I recall - buying out bankrupt businesses.
It's new parts so if this is that sort of a deal, it's good stuff.
Sponsored

wachuko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Is the alternator in our Gladiators a smart alternator, also referred to as a variable voltage or ECU controlled charging system?

I guess the real question I want to ask is if the higher output alternator is just an easy remove and replace task? No software or configuration changes needed using a Tazer-Mini...

That is an unbelievable price for a new alternator... and I am wondering if I should pull the trigger and buy it as well... And then do the swap of both parts.

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
It's a smart alternator which means it has a connection to the computer, but I doubt it's anything that needs 'tuned'. The IBS is what monitors the battery, and tells the computer it's time to stop charging. More amps just means that happens sooner. @ShadowsPapa ?

Since I have both the 100a Z5 and 300a Z7, same as a tow package Jeep, that tells me the alternator and fan wiring are the same. They wouldn't put those fuses on wire incapable of it. Unless my fuse array was installed in error....but it coordinates with the parts resellers.....only the 100a Z5 versions shows for 2021+.

For science, I've got an expensive clamp meter.....will lasso that Z5 cable before and after and see what these draw.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
t's a smart alternator which means it has a connection to the computer, but I doubt it's anything that needs 'tuned'. The IBS is what monitors the battery, and tells the computer it's time to stop charging. More amps just means that happens sooner. @ShadowsPapa ?

Since I have both the 100a Z5 and 300a Z7, same as a tow package Jeep, that tells me the alternator and fan wiring are the same. They wouldn't put those fuses on wire incapable of it.
Right - they'd not put big fuses where the wire couldn't handle it. And it's less expensive to use the same harness for all than to have a harness that's identical but have only a gauge or two difference in a couple of wires.

Is the alternator in our Gladiators a smart alternator, also referred to as a variable voltage or ECU controlled charging system?
Get ready -
[Engage pet peeve/rant mode]
I don't know why some automotive writer decided to call these "smart alternators". The alternator is as dumb as a box of rocks. It's the same as a 1960s alternator in all aspects except output capability. It's stupid. It knows nothing. A GM 10si, 12si and others are so much smarter may as well call ours grade school alternators and the 10si an associate degree alternator. The 10si has an internal regulator. While it's not smart, it at least can keep the voltage at a constant level. Ours can't even do that.
The smart is in the control units! So it's a stupid alternator managed by a wizard. It's a puppet.
[/End pet peeve/rant]

I can't see why these care about the alternator size setting in the configuration because they know what's going through the IBS at least to the crank battery, and the only difference is output capability. At xx volts, the battery will take in only so much regardless of how capable the alternator is. You could have a 10,000 amp alternator and at the same voltage level, the output would be the same as a smaller unit.
The thing is that it's going to do a better job keeping the voltage up under a heavier load. So kick in the fan at max, turn on all lights, crank up the radio, and the bigger alternator will keep the voltage up better than the smaller one. You'll see a faster drop in voltage with a smaller alternator with the same load connected.

I suppose it's possible for that setting to help the system determine the load on the engine for a given voltage, etc.
But all we care about is handling the equipment load and keeping the batteries charged.
Either can do that, and it's the voltage regulation that matters. It will up the voltage until it determines the amount going into the battery is what is needed.
It's more interested in the system voltage when running and it would simply not send as much field current to the alternator to keep the voltage up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Once you get the alternator, do confirm if it is a match. I would like to order the same one as well... for that price, why the heck not!
When we are done our Mojaves will actually be Desert Rated. Can't be with the weak fan!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah buddy! Gonna buy the alt. No time to be a cheapskate.

Jeep Gladiator Any issue putting the 850w fan on with the base alternator? Screenshot_20230120-123656_Gallery

Jeep Gladiator Any issue putting the 850w fan on with the base alternator? Screenshot_20230120-123656_Gallery
I don't think you are really taking any real risk going that way.
I don't think most people would even need to mess with the fan swap - no reason, but in the heat of AZ and certain other places, it's an extra margin of safety, so to speak. As cooling systems age, they aren't as efficient. A more powerful fan may help make up for that, along with helping when going slow in the heat.

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I don't think you are really taking any real risk going that way.
I don't think most people would even need to mess with the fan swap - no reason, but in the heat of AZ and certain other places, it's an extra margin of safety, so to speak. As cooling systems age, they aren't as efficient. A more powerful fan may help make up for that, along with helping when going slow in the heat.
Yeah - I actually go into places like Moab in August ( 115F ) and Anza Borrego all year since it's 60 miles away. Gets about 115 there too at times!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This will make a good "how to" keeper thread.
Parts needed, how to check the fuse, and so on.

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Fan arrived today... It was a take-off from someone that went with a Hemi conversion...

Jeep Gladiator Any issue putting the 850w fan on with the base alternator? IMG_9954

Jeep Gladiator Any issue putting the 850w fan on with the base alternator? IMG_9954

Nice....you're doesn't have a broken connector tab either like mine!

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I only knew of the 180 and 240 alts. @ShadowsPapa mentioned a 220 in another thread and wow I have that one! I think no need for the 240. Saves me a couple hundred bucks! Thanks Papa!

20230125_064304.jpg