Sponsored

Any way to make USB a phone charger not try to take over the phone?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I ran into this on fakebook tonight when someone asked about the correct paint for the trunk of a Javelin. I posted the response, a perfect match recommended by a pro restorer........ and suddenly a person comes in with "why would you want to do that, just make it how you want it, don't worry about being correct".
Why when someone asks a very specific EASY question because THEY want something a certain way, do others say "why would you want that" instead of the answer?
I don't want that stupid car play popping up and taking over and then making my phone pop crap up when all I want to do is CHARGE the bloody thing. I'm with the OP - WHY DO I WANT CARPLAY every time I plug in just to charge?
I just want to charge the f'n phone. Not have crap pop up.
Sometimes honestly a phone is just a phone. It's not a toy and some of us want just to charge it.
I've set up that carplay junk and frankly, am not impressed - and it's annoying as hell when you only want to charge and keep getting pop-ups on the phone and truck all but insisting you must be stupid for not wanting to connect.
I don't even use the bluetooth in the truck for my phone other than if I want to MAKE a call. Calls coming in, there's a switch right next to my ear I hit and then I listen and talk privately through my hearing aids and it can be raining or sleeting and the person on the other end doesn't ask "what's all that noise, I can't hear you" like they do if I use the truck's system.

Everyone has their own way of doing things - it's sort of a JEEP THING - independence, doing things how the owner sees fit, not fitting some mold others think we should fit into.
There's my rant for the night............ but I keep seeing this everywhere I go - ask a question and instead of answers "why, you should do it like I do it"

Sorry, but it bugs me and seeing it for like the third time tonight was just it.
I could ask why you have to reference one of you old cars that have no relevance to the Gladiator in every post you make.
Sponsored

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
does the one in center console sync up as well or will it just charge like the rear ones?

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
does the one in center console sync up as well or will it just charge like the rear ones?
It will sync unless, as I point out in the 2nd post, you disable it in the Uconnect settings. Smartphone Projection Manager.

UncleChanBlake

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
Education
I ran into this on fakebook tonight when someone asked about the correct paint for the trunk of a Javelin. I posted the response, a perfect match recommended by a pro restorer........ and suddenly a person comes in with "why would you want to do that, just make it how you want it, don't worry about being correct".
Why when someone asks a very specific EASY question because THEY want something a certain way, do others say "why would you want that" instead of the answer?
I don't want that stupid car play popping up and taking over and then making my phone pop crap up when all I want to do is CHARGE the bloody thing. I'm with the OP - WHY DO I WANT CARPLAY every time I plug in just to charge?
I just want to charge the f'n phone. Not have crap pop up.
Sometimes honestly a phone is just a phone. It's not a toy and some of us want just to charge it.
I've set up that carplay junk and frankly, am not impressed - and it's annoying as hell when you only want to charge and keep getting pop-ups on the phone and truck all but insisting you must be stupid for not wanting to connect.
I don't even use the bluetooth in the truck for my phone other than if I want to MAKE a call. Calls coming in, there's a switch right next to my ear I hit and then I listen and talk privately through my hearing aids and it can be raining or sleeting and the person on the other end doesn't ask "what's all that noise, I can't hear you" like they do if I use the truck's system.

Everyone has their own way of doing things - it's sort of a JEEP THING - independence, doing things how the owner sees fit, not fitting some mold others think we should fit into.
There's my rant for the night............ but I keep seeing this everywhere I go - ask a question and instead of answers "why, you should do it like I do it"

Sorry, but it bugs me and seeing it for like the third time tonight was just it.
OMG!!! This!!! All of this!

UncleChanBlake

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
Education
I don’t like CarPlay. I thought it would be cool until I tried it. I have thousands of songs in my iphone I play through Bluetooth. Works great. Plugged it in to usb on Gladys and cannot access those songs. Can’t CarPlay and Bluetooth simultaneously. I have a small 12v outlet usb unit. I plug it in there AND do Bluetooth. Works great.

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I think your best bet is to either disable as suggested, or if that is not reliable/too much hassle get the cord that only does power.

Personally, I like the android auto OK. It's not perfect and I wish you could simply hit "not now" and have it dismiss (maybe you can?). I like using google maps but don't need it using data 99% of the time I have the phone plugged in. Unlike my cassette/cd players at least it can be upgraded and refined as the years go by. I will never forgive the radio that failed to eject the cassette on a 3 hr road trip with a near stranger. Fun.

I went from a radio/cassette to radio/CD and now radio/BT. Like a lot of people I went through the hassle of moving music from one media to the next (cassettes, CDs, mp3s). Now I just stream and live at the mercy of the CPU's DJ. There's always a "skip" button, and if that doesn't work I'm back to the radio. Or silence. Sometimes the best sound there is.

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
I think your best bet is to either disable as suggested, or if that is not reliable/too much hassle get the cord that only does power.

Personally, I like the android auto OK. It's not perfect and I wish you could simply hit "not now" and have it dismiss (maybe you can?). I like using google maps but don't need it using data 99% of the time I have the phone plugged in. Unlike my cassette/cd players at least it can be upgraded and refined as the years go by. I will never forgive the radio that failed to eject the cassette on a 3 hr road trip with a near stranger. Fun.

I went from a radio/cassette to radio/CD and now radio/BT. Like a lot of people I went through the hassle of moving music from one media to the next (cassettes, CDs, mp3s). Now I just stream and live at the mercy of the CPU's DJ. There's always a "skip" button, and if that doesn't work I'm back to the radio. Or silence. Sometimes the best sound there is.
Android Auto settings ...disable Auto Launch and when you want AA just tap the app and connect the USB.
G Maps can be downloaded to the phone (use wifi ) so when you're using G Maps it's not using data. This is also helpful in that you can use G Maps when out of cell range provided you still have GPS reception.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Android Auto settings ...disable Auto Launch and when you want AA just tap the app and connect the USB.
G Maps can be downloaded to the phone (use wifi ) so when you're using G Maps it's not using data. This is also helpful in that you can use G Maps when out of cell range provided you still have GPS reception.

Thanks, I think I found that before but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I still want to use android auto, but I don't want to use google maps all the time. It's built in to run all the time, whereas you can choose when to use the other apps. I use it to listen to music (pandora app) and still want the interface.

I had not considered downloading data for google maps ahead of time. That seems like it would cut down on what it needs to download, but does it actually work "off-line"? It's always got suggested destinations and times for them so I figure it's using data to plan the route even if I never touch it.

Rwalk31

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU/ 13 Ram 3500
There is a charge only usb behind the console. Can’t remember which but it’s in the manual

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
My Android does not do this, and all I get are text and calls, which I normally "need".
My music is through Qobuz (awesome) for hi-def, and that does me just fine.
And @Shadows Papa, I`m in IT as well, and we always have to answer the damn phone.
Off-day? What`s an off-day>
M-Fer`s

Sponsored

Rwalk31

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU/ 13 Ram 3500
I can use my phone like normal and my stereo like normal even when the phone is plugged in. CarPlay isn’t displayed until you press the CarPlay icon
Sponsored