Sponsored

Convert the center console USB-A to a USB-C?

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Interresting...I am CERTAIN that, when I had my factory-installed, 7" Uconnect radio, the USB port in the armrest WOULD allow me to plug my 256gB USB Thumb drive AND PLAY MUSIC FROM THAT DRIVE. When I upgraded to my "brand new, bought at @AllMoparParts.com 8.4 Uconnect radio", THAT was when I had to move my thumb drive from the arm rest port to the dash port. With top & doors off, I preferred to have my USB drive "out of sight, out of mind", HIDDEN/locked up in the armrest, NOT sticking out of the dash, waiting to be "liberated." I presume that a firmware upgrade was what disabled this capability...

Hi there,

We're hearing some speculation surrounding the usage of your center console USB ports for charging and media purposes. Due to a specification from Apple, a modification was made for the JL/JT vehicle lines to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. This change was made at software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels. Some 2020 owners may be able to use Apple CarPlay from the center console port (2), while others may not. Although we do not have control over this configuration, you are more than welcome to submit feedback on Apple's website.

I hope that provides a little bit of clarification. If you're still experiencing concerns, don't hesitate to reach out!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Saw the one link to a wireless carplay adapter on here, but 129$?? Is there something that works well that is cheaper??

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
BTW. If you're like me and don't like USB thumb drives sticking out just asking to be broken or making an OCD person crazy, check out a 'Low Profile' USB Thumb Drive. I'm using one and it lets me close that media door nearly all the way shut and still have a drive attached.

Sandisk Low Profile USB

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Heck you can buy 'em cheap at walmart, - just watch amazon as some of theirs are counterfeit........ I have a couple so small they are almost hard to grip and pull out of the USB slot.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
I exclusively use the center console port for CarPlay. I used to connect the phone up via the USB cable that came with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I now connect a wireless CarPlay adapter to that very same port so I can just leave my phone in my pocket. No issues.
Which wireless adapter did you go with?

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
Thanks. I sprung for this one before you had a chance to respond. It was simple to set up and it connects fast. This is a game changer.

They are running it at $104 and have another $13 off promo right now for a holiday lightning deal. I bought the 2021 model for my 2021 JTRD and the same for my wifeā€™s 2018 JLU Sahara and it works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GLVW16..._dl_FKNK264JK0A9HNKET3Q6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also use this to eliminate the need to plug my phone in. Now I just need to relocate a USB outlet to the dash so I can get rid of wires running down the controls altogether.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZMJ96F...abc_BA6KG8ZE2MJR47SVTX91?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
Thanks. I sprung for this one before you had a chance to respond. It was simple to set up and it connects fast. This is a game changer.

They are running it at $104 and have another $13 off promo right now for a holiday lightning deal. I bought the 2021 model for my 2021 JTRD and the same for my wifeā€™s 2018 JLU Sahara and it works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GLVW16..._dl_FKNK264JK0A9HNKET3Q6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also use this to eliminate the need to plug my phone in. Now I just need to relocate a USB outlet to the dash so I can get rid of wires running down the controls altogether.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZMJ96F...abc_BA6KG8ZE2MJR47SVTX91?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I returned my wireless CarPlay adapter. Tried two different makes. They are crappy. Both I tried worked great when they worked, but that lasted about 15mins or so on a drive using a nav app then it would lose BT connection. It was too distracting to reconnect it. Another issue I had with both was a 5-7sec delay in audio (during phone calls). This is one of the most frustrating parts because my wife thought I was intionally cutting her off and trying to talk over her (sure, I do that sometimes, but I definitely donā€™t want to be blamed for it when I wasnā€™t doing itā€”LOL). These devices also dropped BT during phone calls, which causes more distraction while driving trying to switch to another audio source. I sent them back. For $100, I expect better tech in 2021. Why Jeep put wireless CarPlay in the Grand Cherokee and not the JT or JL we can all wonder, but that was a dumb move.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I returned my wireless CarPlay adapter. Tried two different makes. They are crappy. Both I tried worked great when they worked, but that lasted about 15mins or so on a drive using a nav app then it would lose BT connection. It was too distracting to reconnect it. Another issue I had with both was a 5-7sec delay in audio (during phone calls). This is one of the most frustrating parts because my wife thought I was intionally cutting her off and trying to talk over her (sure, I do that sometimes, but I definitely donā€™t want to be blamed for it when I wasnā€™t doing itā€”LOL). These devices also dropped BT during phone calls, which causes more distraction while driving trying to switch to another audio source. I sent them back. For $100, I expect better tech in 2021. Why Jeep put wireless CarPlay in the Grand Cherokee and not the JT or JL we can all wonder, but that was a dumb move.
I read that the reason Jeep doesn't use BT for Android Auto and CarPlay is that BT doesn't have the bandwidth for them.
One article I read said that BlueTooth simply doesn't have the ability to transmit everything needed for the full scope of AndroidAuto, etc. thus the cable instead of BT from the factory.
Are we talking the same thing?
It is possible to connect multiple Bluetooth audio devices at the same time, but only one device can receive the audio output, for example.
Sponsored