Sponsored

Anybody had the horrible roll up bed cover replaced?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar roll-up tonneau cover does have cross braces, to keep the fabric cover fairy tight, they slightly arch up in he middle.
Cheers

F3EE9A59-7565-4C97-B3FC-D4047E81000E.jpeg
No, they don't arch up - not on mine. Wish mine was as snug as the one you show. Wow, I'd be thrilled if mine fit like that as far as tight, no sags! Now I KNOW mine has problems.
Sponsored

mr1563

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator 2021 grand cherokee
I and some of my friends have had Access roll-up covers on our trucks in the past. My Silverado had an Access cover and it was tight as my snare drum head when latched in place. You could bounce coins on it, never budged. But it didn't seal as well as this one that rides a lot looser.
Granted, I'm here not to complain about my Jeep's cover - but to learn - is THIS normal or can or should it be adjusted or tighter? It's very loose compared to my Access cover, which again, literally was tight and no water could sit on it.

Compare my Chevy cover to the Jeep one - I wonder if this is what folks are talking about and yes, water pools on the Jeep cover, never did on the Chevy cover. The Chevy Access cover stayed that way for 7 years.
chevy-cover.jpg
cover-right.jpg
cover-left.jpg
Mine looks exactly like Trailhikers in the picture above. No water, no flapping. I would take it back to dealer. Did it come with the truck? I purchased mine and installed it. I'm no mechanic, but that just looks wrong.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine looks exactly like Trailhikers in the picture above. No water, no flapping. I would take it back to dealer. Did it come with the truck? I purchased mine and installed it. I'm no mechanic, but that just looks wrong.
Factory installed - bought with truck to avoid later having to put one on. Just easier. Not taking back to THAT dealer - you have to go through a bank of service writers and it's a mess getting in.
I'd take it to someone else, but prefer to check it out and if possible, fix it myself. Then I don't have to wait two weeks for an appointment, drop it off at 8 and go back to pick it up at 5.
So if there's a fix, and it's not something they have to REPLACE involving real costs or parts - would rather not hassle with a dealer.
Besides, I know the sales person said "looks fine" when I asked about the left edge sticking up - what's that tell ya - the shop there would say "looks fine" because they never caught it in dealer prep. They didn't even have the rear mats locked together - I had to do that myself, too. (the rear "slush mats" are two pieces and lock together - but they had it screwed up - a jigsaw puzzle and they messed up.)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I've searched high and low, the forum and my cover and I find NO adjustment at all. The latches screwed to the sides of the box - two screws each, don't budge. Those are set in stone - uh, rather, steel. They are not movable.
The cover itself - I looked at the hooks and the latches that lock it to the pins and no screws or adjustment, it's all riveted. Nothing moves. The braces across the box under it will slide left and right a tad as they sit on the foam pads but that does zip.
I find no way to make it stretch tighter when you close it. It's like they set it on, drilled holes, screwed it in place and moved to the next one. There aren't any adjustments at the back that I can find. I used my Torx 30 screwdriver and took the screws that hold the latches to the sides of the box clear out and the latches seem to be stuck in place with some rubber pads, but they don't slide at all. The screws go into holes and the holes in the latches aren't slotted.
So how can these be made more snug or tighter?

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JTLE... my tonneau cover is tight as a drum. No flapping. No sagging. No leaks.
I added my “Gatehook” fix to lock the “Weekender” feature shut, when tailgate’s locked... but aside from that, I have no complaints with my LE tonneau! ;{
can you tell me more about this Gatehook fix? I’d be interested in doing that to mine.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
can you tell me more about this Gatehook fix? I’d be interested in doing that to mine.
It's not really a fix, it's a way to use a gate hook from a hardware store to help secure the cover when the tail gate is locked. Not a cure-all - if someone wants in they'll cut the cover, but it does help reduce the ability to pry it up on the back. There are about 3 or 4 threads on it here where a gate latch is attached to the rear cover bar and used to hook into an existing hole in the side to secure the cover.

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Granite Crystal. Black Freedom Top & Fenders. Rock Krawler 3” Pro-X No limits Lift,
I did not opt for any of the OEM covers because I had found an aftermarket one for a lot less money. I bought a Tyger brand from Amazon for $150. The rail clamps that come with it don’t fit nice and straight because I got the Trail Rail system BUT I did manage to find locations that still allowed them to clamp onto the cover rails and bed to hold the rails down. The cover fits tight as a drum. No sags, No bows showing through, just flat and taught. I’ll take some pics. You can find more about it on YouTube as another JT owner shares his experience with installing the same cover.

STEELCITYDJ87

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM White, 2021 JLR Black
Factory installed - bought with truck to avoid later having to put one on. Just easier. Not taking back to THAT dealer - you have to go through a bank of service writers and it's a mess getting in.
I'd take it to someone else, but prefer to check it out and if possible, fix it myself. Then I don't have to wait two weeks for an appointment, drop it off at 8 and go back to pick it up at 5.
So if there's a fix, and it's not something they have to REPLACE involving real costs or parts - would rather not hassle with a dealer.
Besides, I know the sales person said "looks fine" when I asked about the left edge sticking up - what's that tell ya - the shop there would say "looks fine" because they never caught it in dealer prep. They didn't even have the rear mats locked together - I had to do that myself, too. (the rear "slush mats" are two pieces and lock together - but they had it screwed up - a jigsaw puzzle and they messed up.)
I took mine to dealer. It flaps in the wind, saga really bad, not much leaking. I got had Jeep cares involved. Dealer said. “Looks normal to me”. I said how many have you seen come back. He said none. Exactly!

basically they will just argue with you until you give up. Jeep fares told me to go to another dealer. I don’t have the time to drop off pick up and drive around to every dealer until one says yes. I will wait until winter is over to see how it fairs with snow piling on it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine to dealer. It flaps in the wind, saga really bad, not much leaking. I got had Jeep cares involved. Dealer said. “Looks normal to me”. I said how many have you seen come back. He said none. Exactly!

basically they will just argue with you until you give up. Jeep fares told me to go to another dealer. I don’t have the time to drop off pick up and drive around to every dealer until one says yes. I will wait until winter is over to see how it fairs with snow piling on it.
Apparently no one here knows how to adjust or tighten these. I've asked, but zero responses.
It should be a simple owner thing to put more tension on these. But then, maybe not since I spend about 10 minutes and didn't find a single way to tighten these.
Silly to have to take something like that to a dealer just to tighten - what do they do? Like Ford did at the factory in the 70s? Big guy with a huge rubber mallet and a 2x4 checking each car on the line and adjusting the trunk until if fit right using the two tools in his hand? (saw that in person, not an urban legend)
If a dealership can adjust or tighten these then someone with a whole shop full of tools gathered over 45 years should be able to - but so far can't find any info on how to adjust them or tighten them up.

I also don't have time to drive around and show each place until someone says they know what to do......... then have to make an appointment, leave it and pick it up later (and get charged for it)

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
As has been pointed out it is easy to not lock it down correctly. You have to push down fairly hard. This is especially difficult for those of us that are vertically challenged, 5'8" and are running a 2" lift and 37's

I think that must be the reason for the flapping and leaking. While mine sags a bit and puddles, I have never had flap, leaking or ripping off issues and I drove it from Eastern Montana to Seattle.

Sponsored

Bruticus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Gladiator JT; Copperhead Willy's Wrangler Unlimited JL
This is the loosest cover i have ever owned. Sags.....water pools.....leaks into bed.......flaps on the highway like crazy.
Sounds like it's defective or not on properly. I've had no such problems and am quite pleased with the OE cover.

Lee3d

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Nissan Murano
The local dealer installed mine, and it is tight, with no issues.
Cheers
My dealer service department says, basically, "live with it - they all do that". Of course the same dealer said, "Jeep is wrong, the stick shift costs more than the auto transmission" and ordered my JT with the unwanted $600 bed coating option which I had to pay (sounds like the impeachment hearings don't it?) I'm way out here in West Texas and I went along for convenience so probably shouldn't complain.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from a dealer who offered to "take a look" - 20 minutes later, their bottom line was "can't adjust it, and look out there, that one does it, too" and it was sagging in the middle too.
I explained to them that people here have posted photos of the factory covers that don't sag badly and pool water and so on - but they said naw, wait till the weather turns, theirs will do this too.

They said there is no recall, no service bulletin and they have others on the lot like this so "live with it". I mentioned the others again that fit right and snug and they acted like they didn't believe me.

So, unless @JeepCares has any ideas, I'm stuck with a loose cover that sags quite a bit between the bars and with winter weather, rain, freezing rain and snow - a heck of a load on that cover, pulling it in and down even more.
This is just plain wrong for a brand new cover - in a year or two it will be even worse from the inch or so of water that sits on it.
It looked even worse than this pic when I pulled it into their bay this AM because of the water and ice on it.

What happens is that the weight of the water and ice pulls it down, not just fore and aft, but the sides get pulled in, too, then the sides won't lay down flat on the bed and it won't seal.

cover-right.jpg

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Bright White (stock) / 2009 Harley Davidson Night Train / 2021 Yamaha GP1800R Riva Racing Stage 1+
No flapping or leaking here on my LE...was actually very impressed doing 80mph in back to back days of rain and the bed doesn’t have a single drop of water.

AaronJ0072

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland in hydro-blue
This is the loosest cover i have ever owned. Sags.....water pools.....leaks into bed.......flaps on the highway like crazy.
I'm sorry you've had trouble. I just returned from a 1700 mile trip to northern NY, went through driving rainstorms, high winds and snow with no problem. The bed was completely full with luggage and I was careful not to create a bulge so the cover was flat while stretched open. No water got in whatsoever.
Sponsored