Sponsored

Anyone know what this is for???

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys! I learned something new today. Guess that’s something I’ll never be using here.
if you look closely in the engine bay you will probably see more cord that might be strapped together (tucking it out of the way).....most of us Canadians (not normally ohn VI where I live) have used them on many of occasions , usually the plug will be stretched to the outside of the hood so you do not have to raise/ lower the hood each time you use it.
Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
We used to install types that went in the heater hose and literally pumped the warmed coolant through the whole system. You'd get in and start the engine and have almost instant heat out the heater.
I actually went looking for one of those types recently. Apparently they are not supposed to be used on late-model vehicles. No idea why.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
That is correct it’s in the build sheet. I didn’t special order my truck it was part of the package but I had no idea that you plug in your truck. When is this useful? I’ve never even heard of this before right now.
Ugh, I wish I had never heard of it or had to use it.
Pretty much a standard feature on most Canadian spec vehicles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I actually went looking for one of those types recently. Apparently they are not supposed to be used on late-model vehicles. No idea why.
They stopped working on many vehicles when they moved away from cable controls to vacuum and electric controls for the heater valve.............
We used to have to remind folks "leave your heater control on hot" otherwise the heater valve would close and they'd not be able to circulate the coolant.

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
They stopped working on many vehicles when they moved away from cable controls to vacuum and electric controls for the heater valve.............
We used to have to remind folks "leave your heater control on hot" otherwise the heater valve would close and they'd not be able to circulate the coolant.
I could see that as disappointing by not preheating the car interior, but if that was the only issue, it would still serve the primary function of warming the engine and the radiator. No, the warnings seemed more dire, that such devices should not/could not/must not be used on late model vehicles. I was thinking it had more to do with the way modern closed loop cooling systems work, maybe not enough thermal effect circulation?

If memory serves correct, they had a check valve installed, and were meant to be installed low in the system, either in a lower radiator hose, or a low heater hose. The warm water rising is what caused the circulation, they didnt actually have a pump.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I could see that as disappointing by not preheating the car interior, but if that was the only issue, it would still serve the primary function of warming the engine and the radiator. No, the warnings seemed more dire, that such devices should not/could not/must not be used on late model vehicles. I was thinking it had more to do with the way modern closed loop cooling systems work, maybe not enough thermal effect circulation?
Ah, I bet you are right.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
If you go on a Utah ski vacation take an extension cord with you. Diesels don't like to start in below zero temperatures. Being from Southern California I learned this first hand during a January trip to Brian Head with my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass diesel.

Sunnysideup

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
Thanks guys! I learned something new today. Guess that’s something I’ll never be using here.
The cord is long enough to put it out of the front of the jeep... on mine it was... its just ziptied in the middle if I remeber correctly.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Wonder why that was included on that vehicle in your area?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Engine block heater does not come standard unless it is a Canadian market vehicle. Everywhere else, it is a paid option. Unless a Northern state dealer, most dealerships will not option it for on lot stock vehicle

OP
OP
calipoontappa

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine block heater does not come standard unless it is a Canadian market vehicle. Everywhere else, it is a paid option. Unless a Northern state dealer, most dealerships will not option it for on lot stock vehicle
I bought this one in AZ off the lot. One of the hottest places in the country lol. Weird.