Sponsored

Anyone Towing a Travel trailer with their Jeep Gladiator High Altitude?

Jeeperbily

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator HA and Toyota 4Runner Limited
Occupation
retired
My wife and I bought a 2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, it's our daily drive and once in a while we tow an old 20ft Ranger Bass boat. It tows my boat just fine in short distances. I was wondering if anyone here have the same setup and towing anything bigger than a bass boat because my wife and I are thinking of buying a small Travel Trailer with a dry weight of 3327lbs with a tongue weight of 440lbs. Being the High Altitude trim its got a 3.73 rear end gear. I didn't think my wife would want a travel trailer to tow around. We are both retirees and would like to do some travelling to see some of the wonders of our beautiful country. Any info will help us decide whether we buy a travel travel trailer or just stick with VRBO. Thanks!
Sponsored

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
We have a rpod 180, with weights similar to the one you are looking at. We tow it around Colorado and Texas. We will not win any races but it does just fine. We do have the 410 gears in the Mojave. I would also recommend a WDH. Have fun. camping is so much better than VRBO, IMO.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I have a stone stock Overland (6/19 build) that I tow a 27', 5,100 lb (with all we want or need) trailer with stated 420 lb tongue weight, closer to 500 lbs with stuff in the front pass through. My trailer is a 2021 Vantage Sonic SN220VRB, pictured below, you can google it for the floor plan and specs.

I have the BlueOx weight distribution/sway control hitch (WDH) set up that does a beautiful job of keeping things under control. I actually measured the receiver height without the trailer then put the trailer on, and measured a 1 1/2" drop. Raised the tongue a bit and finished hooking up the WDH. Pulled the tongue jack all the way up, remeasured, and the rear drop was only 3/4" from not having the trailer there.

So, definitely get a good WDH set up to match your trailer length/weight. My steering is nicely planted just like I'm not towing anything.

I shift manually and typically am in 7th at around 2,100 RPMs cruising at 65 MPH (I REFUSE to go any faster than that whilst towing...) and when speed drops below 58 MPH due to an up grade, I drop back to 6th at 2,500-2,700 RPMs until I get back to around 62 MPH or the grade ends and I'm back to cruising speed. East coast towing (Wife LOVES the beaches) I get an average of 13 mpg (calculated fill to fill). Eventually we'll hit some mountains like the Poconos or Shenandoah/Blue Ridge mountains because life isn't always the beach :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Enjoy...you won't regret it :) :) :)
Jeep Gladiator Anyone Towing a Travel trailer with their Jeep Gladiator High Altitude? Front Yard Pic

OP
OP

Jeeperbily

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator HA and Toyota 4Runner Limited
Occupation
retired
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I'm already regretting the part of not having the 4.10 gear in my Gladiator. I was thinking of at the time when I bought my JT that the 3.73 would be better in gas. well, I guess time to trade in. LOL

I think I'm going to buy a used Travel trailer instead of a new one. I'm looking at 2018 Econ 17FD or the 2017 Jayco Hummingbird 17RB. Anyone have any experience with this type of Travel trailers? Thanks in advance.

dawducan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Kudos on your 2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude – it sounds like a pretty sweet ride! I can totally understand your itch for more adventures, especially during retirement. Towing your bass boat is one thing, but considering a travel trailer is a whole new level of excitement. It's a fantastic way to explore the beauty of our country at your own pace. Given your Jeep's capabilities, you might want to take a peek at travel trailers under 2500 lbs. They should be a breeze to tow, and you'll still have plenty of freedom to roam. It's a more relaxed approach to travel, and you can choose your own path without sticking to VRBO spots. My folks did something similar after retiring, and they've had some incredible experiences on the road.
Sponsored

Last edited: