First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ/1995 YJ/2017 JK/
Occupation
Fabricator
If anyone has 40 inch tires and is towing with it please comment on how well it does or doesn’t do please...
Sponsored

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
If anyone has 40 inch tires and is towing with it please comment on how well it does or doesn’t do please...
In theory, at least 25% reduction in towing capacity based on 25% increase in diameter plus whatever whatever shift from not in peak power. Drivability while towing probably not great either. I personally would not do it without a re-gear and depending on how high your lift is, might be rough time towing if it’s windy.

Last edited:
OP
OP

80on40’s

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ/1995 YJ/2017 JK/
Occupation
Fabricator
In theory, at least 25% reduction in towing capacity based on 25% increase in diameter plus whatever whatever shift from not in peak power. Drivability while towing probably not great either. I personally would not do it without a re-gear and depending on how high your lift is, might be rough time towing if it’s windy.
thanks for the feedback! I’m thinking about getting the diesel and putting it on 40’s but want to still be able to tow my razor with it. was hoping someone had 40’s on here and could tell me if they regret going that big or not.

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
thanks for the feedback! I’m thinking about getting the diesel and putting it on 40’s but want to still be able to tow my razor with it. was hoping someone had 40’s on here and could tell me if they regret going that big or not.
another thing i thought of is that with the diesel the limiting factor is air flow through the grille. being your engine is working harder at lower speed, the reduction in cooling capacity is probably even worse than 25%? not sure if air flow vs cooling is a linear relationship or not but that would probably be the biggest thing without a re-gear.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
How much does the razor and trailer weigh? Definitely regearing is in order for 40s
4.88 is the right setup behind the diesel

Sponsored

OP
OP

80on40’s

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ/1995 YJ/2017 JK/
Occupation
Fabricator
How much does the razor and trailer weigh? Definitely regearing is in order for 40s
I’m guessing somewhere around 2000-3000 lbs.

J.Noack

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner
I’ve towed a 20ft enclosed trailer for 3 hours one way on the highway, loaded with a 4 seat Polaris Ranger. I was on 40’s with 6.5” lift with 4.10 gears. Oddly enough, that was the exact trip that half way there my rear locker sensor went out and the locker lights started flashing and have been ever sense.
(Dealing with that issue in another thread)

The transmission rarely got out of 4th gear on relatively flat’ish ground as it was constantly trying to be in the more aggressive gear option.
Gas mileage went down to 5-6 miles per gallon.
Can it be done? Absolutely! Advisable to do often? Not in my opinion. Stopping power was pretty good but as you know, the nature of an enclosed trailer is like pulling the biggest wind catching coffee table down the interstate.
Mine is being re geared as well speak to 5.13’s. Will report the difference between towing differences versus the 4.10’s.

I did pull my boat a few times which is 24ft long and 4500 pounds. The lower profile didn’t catch all the wind and it pulled much much smoother. The transmission still hovered around 4th to 5th gear but overall wasn’t that big of a deal.
I will say that as “ok” as it was to pull either of those options, I did seem to have a little more white knuckling on the steering wheel going on without really thinking about it lol.

Kbernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I have 37's with max tow pkg on a 2.5 Evo lift and pulled a camper that weighed 5500lbs with no problem. was flat ground and had no issues with sway. I. will say this she didn't want anymore thou it pulled it fine.