Sponsored

Anyone w/ ICON or Clayton gasser springs on Diesel?

NC_Gladiator

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hey everyone,

Does anyone here have any experience with ICON or Clayton gasser 2.5 springs on a diesel? Looking to achieve 2” on lift up front and it looks like the diesel specific springs from Clayton would net closer to 3-3.5” on my overland. I figure the added weight on their gas springs might actually net closer to my desired 2”. ICON doesn’t have diesel specific springs and states a 1.75” lift when used on diesel so it looks like that may be a viable option as well - just looking for any real world experiences.

Thank you!
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Unless you really want new springs, 2" spacers will net you exactly 2" and be more cost effective. The danger of going gasser springs upfront is you'll be running a softer spring rate which could lead to more time smashing bump stops.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
OP
OP
NC_Gladiator

NC_Gladiator

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My worry is with the addition of steel bumper, winch and lights my factory springs are already running more compressed than I would like - not a ton up up travel left. I hear that ICON and Clayton run stiffer spring rates, not sure if stiffer than factory diesel springs though I suppose.

Sponsored

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
Unless you really want new springs, 2" spacers will net you exactly 2" and be more cost effective. The danger of going gasser springs upfront is you'll be running a softer spring rate which could lead to more time smashing bump stops.
^^^

i purchased the 3.5” Clayton’s before the had a diesel specific kit and I was smashing the bump stops a lot. Changed them out as soon as they released them and couldn’t be happier.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
i lifted mine before the diesel spring released. originally bought teraflex dual sport 3.5" and run a 1.5" spacer. just changes to clayton diesel 2.5". gained .5/1" with new springs using the same spacer.. old spring seem to only give about 2-2.5" with the bumper and winch plus they rode a little stiffer which I liked

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
^^^

i purchased the 3.5” Clayton’s before the had a diesel specific kit and I was smashing the bump stops a lot. Changed them out as soon as they released them and couldn’t be happier.
And the Clayton's are significantly heavier rates than pretty much any other brand. So if the Clayton's couldn't carry the diesel, then I would really recommend not going gasser spring.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

Does anyone here have any experience with ICON or Clayton gasser 2.5 springs on a diesel? Looking to achieve 2” on lift up front and it looks like the diesel specific springs from Clayton would net closer to 3-3.5” on my overland. I figure the added weight on their gas springs might actually net closer to my desired 2”. ICON doesn’t have diesel specific springs and states a 1.75” lift when used on diesel so it looks like that may be a viable option as well - just looking for any real world experiences.

Thank you!
I have a diesel with a 2.5" Clayton lift-- orig had the gasser front springs (3.5") to deal with weight and level. Then switched to diesel spec 2.5" springs that are def stiffer and will sag a little less. I currently have about an inch of rake which is not noticeable and the ride with the stiffer spring is superior!
Sponsored