Sponsored

Are 7/8" shackle mounts not really 7/8"?

JAsh1967

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Got the bumper mounted, per the manufacturer the shackle mounts on it can "hold up to a 7/8" adapter" (direct from their site.) So I bought a pair of Harbor Freight 7/8" d-ring shackles in red. Well, as soon as I tried to put the shackle pin through the mount, it stopped right at the threading on the pin.

It felt like the ONLY way that pin would go through that mount would be if I "screwed" it through (which, of course, would trash the finish, probably trash the threads on the pin, and then... rust...) So am I incorrect, should I be using 3/4" shackles? Or is it possible the "Premium Black Texture Powder Coating" on the bumper might be reducing the size of the shackle mount opening by JUST enough to keep 7/8" pins from fitting?

And, if I do go with a smaller size, I'm presuming the worst part will be the rattling?
Sponsored

JBerd81

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2021 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Welder/Steamfitter
Shackles are actually sized by the diameter of the steel in the bow, with the pin being 1/8” larger diameter than the shackle. A 7/8” shackle has a 1” diameter pin. 3/4” shackle is what you need

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Shackles are actually sized by the diameter of the steel in the bow, with the pin being 1/8” larger diameter than the shackle. A 7/8” shackle has a 1” diameter pin. 3/4” shackle is what you need
Beat me to it.
The shackle size is often shown on the bow itself, indicating the actual shackle size, not the "pin" size
The shackle mounts I bought said they were for xx size shackle - that's what I ordered and the pins fit in the mount..........BUT - the shackles were painted and it was snug with the paint on the pins.
That's ok, I changed colors on them anyway - painted mine blue to match my truck, need to go buy purple paint to match my wife's JLU so her Jeep has the necessary tools just in case......

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Shackles last a lot longer under the back seat instead of in the elements and able to be stolen easily, you got HF ones so not a huge cost to replace but still would suck. When you need to tow or winch you usually need to open the shackle to put rope or strap through it then reattach, why hang them other then for looks. If they are also for show then they will rattle a little and swing up and down a bit. Yup 3/4” shackles as others said…..Jack

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Shackles last a lot longer under the back seat instead of in the elements and able to be stolen easily, you got HF ones so not a huge cost to replace but still would suck. When you need to tow or winch you usually need to open the shackle to put rope or strap through it then reattach, why hang them other then for looks. If they are also for show then they will rattle a little and swing up and down a bit. Yup 3/4” shackles as others said…..Jack
Yeah, people keep talking of security, thefts and other stuff, and yet hang stuff like that out there - pretty much only for show, instead of securing them away.
Mine won't rust and won't get stolen and it's nicer to clean the crud off the bumpers and other areas without more iron hanging there for looks.
I gotta unscrew that pin to put a strap or rope in there anyway, so there's nothing gained by having them hanging around to be stolen, banging around on a rough road, whatever.
I test fit everything, then they go into a bubble-wrap bag under the seat to prevent rattles.

Sponsored

JBerd81

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2021 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Welder/Steamfitter
Beat me to it.
The shackle size is often shown on the bow itself, indicating the actual shackle size, not the "pin" size
The shackle mounts I bought said they were for xx size shackle - that's what I ordered and the pins fit in the mount..........BUT - the shackles were painted and it was snug with the paint on the pins.
That's ok, I changed colors on them anyway - painted mine blue to match my truck, need to go buy purple paint to match my wife's JLU so her Jeep has the necessary tools just in case......
I teach welding and industrial rigging at our apprentice training center, I deal with that question almost DAILY. I saw this early this morning and thought “damn, I know the answer!”, haha.

OP
OP
JAsh1967

JAsh1967

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I mean, partly I'm getting them for the looks, the "theme" of the Jeep, but at some point they may be needed (I am planning to hit some trails this summer)

And, if the rattle is annoying enough, then into the winch gear bag they shall go

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I left my shackles on my Power Wagon all the time. You needed a wrench to unscrew them. I had them that tight.

Rausch Creek 5.JPG
Sponsored