Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Safety
Vehicle Showcase
I'm always on the lookout for a modification that might save space or make more sense. I'm about to do a GMRS radio hidden installation, and another improvement I'm looking for is where to place a RJ45 connection plug to properly extend the microphone. I've went back and forth on this topic and have looked all over the console and dash for unused space and ideal locations. One thing I thought of this morning is the fact that I have never used the 3.5 auxiliary plug in the lower dash. I know this particular module/plug has very limited space. But I'm considering buying an extra plug and getting into it to see if the 3.5 plug and guts can be pushed aside and make room for a RJ45 connection right there instead. (Not messing with the usb ports, they'll stay). I know this is a long shot, but anyone else every do anything like that? I've included pictures of the plug so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Port Plug Jack Modification for RJ45 Aux Port
Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Port Plug Jack Modification for RJ45 Aux Port 2
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I think the guts of that are all circuit boards, so I wouldn’t think you’d be able to pop that open and modify it easily. Unless the space inside that box isn’t occupied all the way across, but I bet it is. I also bet that the USB and aux connections are attached to the boards, so not movable.

Best way to know is to crack that guy open, but my gut tells me you won’t have space or flexibility in there.

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
I was looking for the same and chose to install a flush(panel) mount RJ45 port into the plastic panel (door?) in front of the shifter on the center consul. The part that can be removed for manually releasing the shifter (pull the orange tab) into neutral. I was able to pull the part out, cut the hole, install it, then return the panel into the consul quite easily. It works great. I'll try to get a min to post a pic.

Reactions: mog

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
I also did a flush mount port. I put mine on the passenger side of the center console. I didn't take into account a support beam behind it so not as flush as I wish it could have been but it still came out great. Pics.

OP
OP
CS Safety

CS Safety

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Safety
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen the install on YouTube which shows the console passenger side flush mount. My only concern there was being pushed against by the passenger. There's also a flat space between the emergency brake and 4X4 shifter I've considered. (red circle)
Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Port Plug Jack Modification for RJ45 console5b

Sponsored

OP
OP
CS Safety

CS Safety

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Safety
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking for the same and chose to install a flush(panel) mount RJ45 port into the plastic panel (door?) in front of the shifter on the center consul. The part that can be removed for manually releasing the shifter (pull the orange tab) into neutral. I was able to pull the part out, cut the hole, install it, then return the panel into the consul quite easily. It works great. I'll try to get a min to post a pic.
I'd like to see that.

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Lasfit offers a left side cubby that has a mic, RJ45, connection built in. I installed the Lasfit left side aux switches that includes the mic connection also. Installation is simple and fit and finish is good.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Port Plug Jack Modification for RJ45 1675966936503

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Funny this popped up, I was just pondering this same mod.

I was thinking, run a RJ45 extension cable from the radio into the center console and mount one of these flush mount port on the center console. When the mic/handset it not in use I can unplug it and store it in the center console; I have having a cluttered cabin.

Everything would be hidden unless in use.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Port Plug Jack Modification for RJ45 1675968775798

Sponsored

OP
OP
CS Safety

CS Safety

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Safety
Vehicle Showcase
I can take others if there’s a view you want to see. It looks a little like the cable is bent hard over but it isn’t.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Port Plug Jack Modification for RJ45 71AAA00F-14BE-42BE-8FFF-7A640C71B233

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Port Plug Jack Modification for RJ45 71AAA00F-14BE-42BE-8FFF-7A640C71B233
This is probably the best idea I've seen yet. Least invasive, and for me, the closest connection to where the mic is hung. I think this will be the way I go instead. Thanks for this.

OP
OP
CS Safety

CS Safety

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Safety
Vehicle Showcase
Funny this popped up, I was just pondering this same mod.

I was thinking, run a RJ45 extension cable from the radio into the center console and mount one of these flush mount port on the center console. When the mic/handset it not in use I can unplug it and store it in the center console; I have having a cluttered cabin.

Everything would be hidden unless in use.

Yes, i've spent days picking through options for the connection. Key point is that it's easier to drill a round hole than to cut a square opening. I've also sorted through about 6 different location checking into what room is available behind each location. I think i've mapped most of the lower dashboard and center console by now. (lol).

OP
OP
CS Safety

CS Safety

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Safety
Vehicle Showcase
Lasfit offers a left side cubby that has a mic, RJ45, connection built in. I installed the Lasfit left side aux switches that includes the mic connection also. Installation is simple and fit and finish is good.

I've been investigating this one. Unfortunately, I've got other items installed in my cubby and couldn't use this option. At least we know the creative options are catching up with the needs.

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
I can take others if there’s a view you want to see. It looks a little like the cable is bent hard over but it isn’t.

I wish I would have thought of that before drilling a hole in a difficult to replace panel. Well done.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

Oh like this, I'd rather not drill into the side of my center console, this is perfect, just a small plate to replace if need be.

Does Bulletpoint have a mic hanger? I might have to grab one of those too
Sponsored