Avis rental 900 miles 4 days Sport S

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I wonder if any rentals are manual transmission. And/or LE. That could get me to my price point and preferred packaging.
Sponsored

Alkali

First Name
Alkali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT
Great write up. Next time do a similar trip with the Corolla ... drive through hurricane rains, take it to the shooting range, explore state parks. That would make for an interesting review as well.
That sounds like it would just be depressing.

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I rented a car last week in Orlando, secretly hoping they would have a Gladiator available to take to Cocoa Beach for our beach trip, but no luck. After a week here and spying LOTS of Wranglers I finally saw this Gladiator Sport, directly across from Ron Jon's too! It was nice to see family down here
00010XTR_00010_BURST20190726162116.jpg

Spacecat

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 5-speed, 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Ltd, 1995 Toyota T100 SR5 4x4
UAY3LCl.jpg

I flew into Dallas (DFW) on Monday night around 9:00pm. I had a long week coming up, I had an 8:00AM meeting in Camden Arkansas Tuesday morning- its a 5 hour drive Ive made many times.
When headed to the Avis my name wasnt on the preferred board so I had to take a little detour to get my car.

Imagine my surprise when I saw 4 Jeep Gladiator’s on the lot!

When I approached the counter I learned I had a Toyota Corolla waiting on me- I asked for a Gladiator and the lady was excited to let me swap for one.
I was pretty happy knowing how much driving I would be doing in the next week. My Gladiator was Silver with a soft top and a full 7 miles on the clock.
XiQ6sK6.jpg

aiqDWfq.jpg

I left the airport and decided to try and drop the top, it was a clear night with a big moon and the temp was around 78-80 degrees outside.
I cruised up the interstate to Hope, AR and put the top on- which was fortunate. Arkansas was getting the rain from hurricane Barry and it was raining hard with lots of flooding. The road between Hope and Camden is a twisty 2 lane highway that is worn down by logging trucks and the rain doesn’t make it any more pleasant to use. The Gladiator took it in stride- I was really impressed with how good the soft top is.

The next afternoon before leaving Camden to head back down to TX I stopped and took a photo with the swollen Quitchita river.

AGgf7Bi.jpg

Shortly after passing back into TX the rain quit but I was tired from a long few days so I chose to spend the night in Texarkana instead of heading all the way back to Dallas. I toon a power nap then did a little exploring and found the Atlanta Stare park- which made for a nice sunset with the Gladiator next to a nice lake.
Qk4Y8TI.jpg

DFCQZaA.jpg

Thanks for great story and feedback. Now read mine I just posted after driving 2300 miles in 5 days. Spacecat
Wednesday evening I shot a USPSA match and it was a bit of dirt road with s little mud to get to the range- I did my best to capitalize on that and got the jeep a little dirty because it seemed like the right thing to do.
khX8Yxh.jpg

Speaking of shooting I needed to know about the rear storage- a rifle definitely fits under the back seat. i found the back seat pretty clever actually.
wZGneW5.jpg

Taking the Gladiator to a shooting range - well it drew lots of attention as this is a pretty outdoors prone crowd. Everyone wanted to crawl through it and take pictures.
Thursday I went to lunch with my old boss and we took the Gladiator- He loved it & he even asked to drive it back from lunch- He is heading to the dealership on Saturday. I expect he will buy one.
The indicator had it at 17.1 MPG when I turned in the keys & read 906 miles.
Not a single hickup or issue- I had the soft top on and off 3 or 4 times and everything was really night and the Gladiator ran great.

For me after 900 miles I would say its a pickup that is greater than the sum of its parts. People love it and it got lots of compliments, and I was really quite content with the Sport S. I would say the base radio (display specifically) is antiquated and I will spring for an upgrade there.
utga12h.jpg

Good times so I thought I would share.

Spacecat

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 5-speed, 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Ltd, 1995 Toyota T100 SR5 4x4
Thanks for a great read and feedback. Now read my write up for 2300 mile drive in my new JT. Spacecat

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
UAY3LCl.jpg

I flew into Dallas (DFW) on Monday night around 9:00pm. I had a long week coming up, I had an 8:00AM meeting in Camden Arkansas Tuesday morning- its a 5 hour drive Ive made many times.
When headed to the Avis my name wasnt on the preferred board so I had to take a little detour to get my car.

Imagine my surprise when I saw 4 Jeep Gladiator’s on the lot!

When I approached the counter I learned I had a Toyota Corolla waiting on me- I asked for a Gladiator and the lady was excited to let me swap for one.
I was pretty happy knowing how much driving I would be doing in the next week. My Gladiator was Silver with a soft top and a full 7 miles on the clock.
XiQ6sK6.jpg

aiqDWfq.jpg

I left the airport and decided to try and drop the top, it was a clear night with a big moon and the temp was around 78-80 degrees outside.
I cruised up the interstate to Hope, AR and put the top on- which was fortunate. Arkansas was getting the rain from hurricane Barry and it was raining hard with lots of flooding. The road between Hope and Camden is a twisty 2 lane highway that is worn down by logging trucks and the rain doesn’t make it any more pleasant to use. The Gladiator took it in stride- I was really impressed with how good the soft top is.

The next afternoon before leaving Camden to head back down to TX I stopped and took a photo with the swollen Quitchita river.

AGgf7Bi.jpg

Shortly after passing back into TX the rain quit but I was tired from a long few days so I chose to spend the night in Texarkana instead of heading all the way back to Dallas. I toon a power nap then did a little exploring and found the Atlanta Stare park- which made for a nice sunset with the Gladiator next to a nice lake.
Qk4Y8TI.jpg

DFCQZaA.jpg

Wednesday evening I shot a USPSA match and it was a bit of dirt road with s little mud to get to the range- I did my best to capitalize on that and got the jeep a little dirty because it seemed like the right thing to do.
khX8Yxh.jpg

Speaking of shooting I needed to know about the rear storage- a rifle definitely fits under the back seat. i found the back seat pretty clever actually.
wZGneW5.jpg

Taking the Gladiator to a shooting range - well it drew lots of attention as this is a pretty outdoors prone crowd. Everyone wanted to crawl through it and take pictures.
Thursday I went to lunch with my old boss and we took the Gladiator- He loved it & he even asked to drive it back from lunch- He is heading to the dealership on Saturday. I expect he will buy one.
The indicator had it at 17.1 MPG when I turned in the keys & read 906 miles.
Not a single hickup or issue- I had the soft top on and off 3 or 4 times and everything was really night and the Gladiator ran great.

For me after 900 miles I would say its a pickup that is greater than the sum of its parts. People love it and it got lots of compliments, and I was really quite content with the Sport S. I would say the base radio (display specifically) is antiquated and I will spring for an upgrade there.
utga12h.jpg

Good times so I thought I would share.
I hope you followed break-in rules! ;)
Sponsored