Sponsored

Backing up with door open

TAUPEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR SPORT 2006 LJ 1972 CHEVY BLAZER
When i try to back up with the drivers door open, brakes engage. How do i get around this when i take the doors off?
Sponsored

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
When i try to back up with the drivers door open, brakes engage. How do i get around this when i take the doors off?
It's a safety feature Jeep implemented after Anton Yelchin, the actor that played Chekov in the star Trek reboot, got crushed by his Jeep. All new Jeep vehicles go into park or neutral depending on vehicle speed when the door is open. This feature is not active when the doors are off.

The only ways to remove this "feature" is with one of the programmers or to unplug the door wiring harness. If you unplug the door wiring harness you lose things like the stereo staying on after turning the Jeep off and the dome light turning on with the doors open.

Last edited:

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I was very surprised the first time it happened to me!
I have heard if the seatbelt is still connected, it disables this annoying safety feature. I keep forgetting to test this out. I guess I have learned to live with it.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’ve had it happen and figured it was a safety feature, but it was still unsettling when my brand new Jeep wouldn’t move. Thanks for the explanation.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
When the door is open and your seatbelt is unfastened keep light pressure the brake pedal and Auto Park will not engage while moving.

Some people resort to seat belt extender, I don't think this is a good idea.

Jeep Gladiator Backing up with door open Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 9.11.44 AM

Also some information about manual park release for some that may not be familiar.

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Also some information about manual park release for some that may not be familiar.

^ Thank you for that! Very good info to know.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The only ways to remove this "feature" is with one of the programmers or to unplug the door wiring harness. If you unplug the door wiring harness you lose things like the stereo staying on after turning the Jeep off and the dome light turning on with the doors open.
I have a tazer mini, what setting would I use to disable this?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Just fasten your seat belt or buy some seat belt extenders. Who needs to back up with the door open anyway.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
This falls under the heading of first world problems.

Seriously? People are annoyed enough by this to search for ways to disable it? Or to buy/create a product for it?

Buckle. Issue solved. 3 seconds of aggravation eliminated. This amounts to 0.00001% of time behind the wheel.

I have a jeep. There are a lot more things to be bugged with if you spend 5 minutes looking.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
The nanny state world we live in. Instead of people being responsible, let's invent some over regulated bs so they don't have to think or take responsibility for themselves.

Rant over :whew:

I use a seatbelt extender..I assume its habit, but I always have my door open when backing a trailer or a boat.

My first experience with nanny mode was in a 2017 Ram backing down a boat ramp...absolute mess. And I know for certain my resulting tirade cost Chrysler at least 2 sales :punch:..okay, really, rant over...

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
This falls under the heading of first world problems.

Seriously? People are annoyed enough by this to search for ways to disable it? Or to buy/create a product for it?

Buckle. Issue solved. 3 seconds of aggravation eliminated. This amounts to 0.00001% of time behind the wheel.

I have a jeep. There are a lot more things to be bugged with if you spend 5 minutes looking.

I disagree. I find this "feature" incredibly annoying. If you are jockeying a trailer, backing to a loading ramp, or positioning for any other kid of loading where you are in and out of the Jeep many times this is more than a little annoying. Seat belts are for the highway, not using your truck as it was intended on a farm.
In other words, there are people and use situations where this is more than a first world problem: more like a "nanny state" problem.

Thanks for the tip on the seat belt extenders, I will check that out.
Sponsored