Sponsored

Backup camera when the tailgate is down?

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Kind of spoiled by back up cameras now.

I have not had a truck in years, and none had cameras, so I never knew better.
They also all had longer beds and I dont remember having the tailgate down as much as I do now.

VERY disappointed that they dont have a second camera or some other set up for when the tailgate is down.
Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Kind of spoiled by back up cameras now.

I have not had a truck in years, and none had cameras, so I never knew better.
They also all had longer beds and I dont remember having the tailgate down as much as I do now.

VERY disappointed that they dont have a second camera or some other set up for when the tailgate is down.
I don't disagree. Do other trucks have this option?

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
My F150 does only has a camera in the tailgate. With the roof coming off the Jeep where would you like a camera? It seems like you could add a camera to the bumper or something if you need to. That is the good thing about rear view mirrors. They always work.:like:

Hank

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
There are FMVSS requirements for line of sight on rearview cameras. Putting one on the roof would not work (plus would not be there when you take the roof off). Nor would the bumper for a myriad of reasons. The only solution, for now, is the tailgate.

OP
OP
Ogre_FL

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I guess what I envision is 2 cameras on the tail gate.
One facing as it does and another facing upwards so its facing back when the tailgate is down.
Maybe the 2nd one located up in the handle/third brake light area.

Sponsored

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
One facing as it does and another facing upwards so its facing back when the tailgate is down.
Could they - yes. But you have to remember that people already bitch a storm about Gladiator prices. Every time they add something like this that "would be nice" it adds complexity (design) and more components (cost). Not that long ago we all drove without a camera and lived.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
This is my first truck with a camera and I don't really drive with the tail down so it's not an issue. Just take your time.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
The price tag is already to high. Lets say that they did put in a 2nd camera. Now folks would just find another small minute things complain about. :headbang:

I need a camera on my blinkers so that i really know that they are blinking when I switch them on.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
if it was built into the handle, you could have one that could manually turn 90 degrees which would enable you to see when the tailgate is down. I’m sure a camera like that could be much more than $50 more

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
if it was built into the handle, you could have one that could manually turn 90 degrees which would enable you to see when the tailgate is down. I’m sure a camera like that could be much more than $50 more
I’ll keep my $50. What can’t you see with your tailgate down by turning your head and checking your mirrors?

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
I personally like the camera as is. When I am on the road I sometimes will enable the cam, just to make sure the tailgate is closed. When I first got it I must have closed it too weakly, because it would be open when I go to where I was going. I then had the cable in the half way position so if it opened it was only half way. I have a tonneau so I can not see the tailgate. As long as the cam shows directly back I know I didn't limp wrist the gate. But I am not the only one closing it, wife, friends and even the kids shut it. Not every one knows it takes a good slam for it to be truly latched.
Sponsored