Sponsored

Bed power outlet

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
It works for most fridges and charging batteries. The output is limited to 400 watts total. I have not used the bed outlet much, but the Trail Rails are nice to have. I use the interior outlet for a travel fridge. I plug the battery pack into the outlet, and plug the fridge into the battery pack. The fridge stays on all the time, and the battery pack charges when the engine is running.
The 115vac outlet in the cab is very limited with power tools. 400 watts isn't much. If you have the ac outlet in the bed, it uses the same inverter. Since mine didn't have it, I started looking at installing a factory one. I got the outlet, but at the time everything else on backorder. I decided that a 12vdc plug would be more useful. I added S-Tech aux switches to have control of that 12v socket. I could plug in a larger inverter if I wanted to run small power tools. Trail Rails would be nice to have though.
Thank you both. I might like the rails at some point, but I'm already forced into various packages (can't have A without getting unrelated B), and would rather get some later to save or first get a better idea of what I need and options available. Though I'll miss it when I need it as my current truck has plenty of cleats.

My uses would be for camp/overlanding, but no major or immediate needs unless I can get the girlfriend on frequent trips.

Seems like it would do the job for battery/fridge, but also that there are aftermarket options (that may be better) if I forgo for now.
Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I have it and will probably never use it LOL.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both. I might like the rails at some point, but I'm already forced into various packages (can't have A without getting unrelated B), and would rather get some later to save or first get a better idea of what I need and options available. Though I'll miss it when I need it as my current truck has plenty of cleats.

My uses would be for camp/overlanding, but no major or immediate needs unless I can get the girlfriend on frequent trips.

Seems like it would do the job for battery/fridge, but also that there are aftermarket options (that may be better) if I forgo for now.
Just keep in mind that if you do want the inverter, it has to be ordered for factory install. It is not an option that can be installed later. My advice is always to order the truck with everything you want, like it will be the last truck you buy. Many of the options cannot be, or are very difficult to add later, and are always more expensive.

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Just keep in mind that if you do want the inverter, it has to be ordered for factory install. It is not an option that can be installed later. My advice is always to order the truck with everything you want, like it will be the last truck you buy. Many of the options cannot be, or are very difficult to add later, and are always more expensive.
You mean the interior outlet? I believe that comes with the 8.4" radio package. I'll be getting that, or standard with my likely to get Mojave.

For electronics, I mostly do want to get everything OEM. So it's a shame they shoe horned bed outlet into a package I don't care about, or can get everything else after easily. Except that one item.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You mean the interior outlet? I believe that comes with the 8.4" radio package. I'll be getting that, or standard with my likely to get Mojave.

For electronics, I mostly do want to get everything OEM. So it's a shame they shoe horned bed outlet into a package I don't care about, or can get everything else after easily. Except that one item.
If you're planning for a bedliner, I think it's worth the time and hassle saved, to have it and the Trail Rails factory installed.

Sponsored

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
If you're planning for a bedliner, I think it's worth the time and hassle saved, to have it and the Trail Rails factory installed.
Fine, but you're covering my first payment.

I do want the bedliner, and was also checking into aftermarket on that. Near same price, with some saying thicker and more coverage. Haven't looked that much yet though.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fine, but you're covering my first payment.

I do want the bedliner, and was also checking into aftermarket on that. Near same price, with some saying thicker and more coverage. Haven't looked that much yet though.
The aftermarket bedliners are usually thicker. I have had no issues with the factory bedliner on mine. The biggest problem is getting the liner cleared out of the bolt holes to add the Trail Rails later.

willworkforsushi

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Rubicon
This actually isn’t entirely true. I have a ‘22 JTR without the bed outlet or inverter. I ordered all the parts to make the outlet work, including the inverter. The two harnesses for the inverter are taped-off under the steering column. The harness for the switch is tucked away behind the lower driver’s speaker, so you have to take out that speaker pod to access it.

In short, Jeep runs the same general harness for all Jeeps. They just tape-off the pigtails off the harness if you didn’t option things like the outlet.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This actually isn’t entirely true. I have a ‘22 JTR without the bed outlet or inverter. I ordered all the parts to make the outlet work, including the inverter. The two harnesses for the inverter are taped-off under the steering column. The harness for the switch is tucked away behind the lower driver’s speaker, so you have to take out that speaker pod to access it.

In short, Jeep runs the same general harness for all Jeeps. They just tape-off the pigtails off the harness if you didn’t option things like the outlet.
Then things have changed. His info was true. Several others have run into this in the past.
They do keep changing things.
They don't run the same general harness for all Jeeps and that's been proven over and over - front trail camera, for example, the differences between LED lighting (there are wires missing for the non-LED light packages) and other differences.
Try adding the AUX switches later and you'll find some of the wiring isn't there or even the same.
I can recall when the harnesses for the doors were different depending on the package you had - and when they changed the door harnesses to be the same whether you had BSM or not. Prior they were different door harnesses.
You will find differences in harnesses - just that over the years as they see the call for options change, they have to weigh the cost savings of different harnesses vs. other factors.

You ran into something that has changed since he posted and discovered that difference back then - there are still very much differences between harnesses. It's just that this specific difference happens to have disappeared. They don't run the same general harnesses for each JT. I can point to other differences discovered. Things keep changing. (and some of it is to do with replacement parts now that the JT has grown in number - shift in strategy for replacement parts. I've seen this with other car companies in my lifetime)

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
Quick note here.... many who did this earlier had no problems... several reports now tho of newer trucks with the cab inverter and everything....do NOT have the pigtail for the bezel switch stuffed in the switch location ready to be used. They bought all the parts did the disassembly and no connector present. No one has figured out when this change was made or if all the new trucks without the cargo management group lack the pigtail.
It's not a change the harness for the switch is still there. Mine was covered in tape and hidden behind the speaker.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a change the harness for the switch is still there. Mine was covered in tape and hidden behind the speaker.
You say "still there" but you have a 2021. When was it built?
Isn't it still possible that it was changed after your truck's build date?
Or maybe it is dependent on other factors, other equipment you got or did not get.
some did not have it - period. Some did.
So to day "it's there" isn't necessarily true for all builds unless you are saying that those who never did find it aren't very good at what they were doing.

I've seen enough people say it was never found, no matter, to believe that it's dependent on something - either build date, level of the Gladiator (Sport vs. Sport S vs. Overland vs. Mojave vs. Rubicon and so on), or some other equipment that Jeep deemed with their research suggested that "if this, then that is likely, if that, then this is not likely"

Fact remains - some have it, some swear it's just not there.

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
You say "still there" but you have a 2021. When was it built?
Isn't it still possible that it was changed after your truck's build date?
Or maybe it is dependent on other factors, other equipment you got or did not get.
some did not have it - period. Some did.
So to day "it's there" isn't necessarily true for all builds unless you are saying that those who never did find it aren't very good at what they were doing.

I've seen enough people say it was never found, no matter, to believe that it's dependent on something - either build date, level of the Gladiator (Sport vs. Sport S vs. Overland vs. Mojave vs. Rubicon and so on), or some other equipment that Jeep deemed with their research suggested that "if this, then that is likely, if that, then this is not likely"

Fact remains - some have it, some swear it's just not there.
I did the install in mine a 2021, I also did the install in 2 2022 Rubicons.

In all 3 the plug was covered in tape and tucked way the hell back under the dash or down behind the speaker.

quikdime

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator sport
This is my first post. So be kind. My son and I are in the middle of installing the 115 volt outlet in the bed of his 2021 Gladiator sport diesel. The Gladiator came with the 4 aux switches in the dash. (Not sure if that matters). I installed the outlet in the bed. Easy. Installed the new harness under the truck. Easy. Took all necessary dash pieces off to look for the inverter wire/plug harness that is supposedly taped to the light switch wiring harness. Well the inverter switch wiring is not taped to the harness! Matter of fact, its not there at all! I removed the drivers side lower speaker. No inverter harness! I have looked through all the accessible areas of the harness. I have looked everywhere. No luck. I have gone on line to investigate other post regarding this issue. So much information based on Rubicon, Mojave models. None about the Sport model. Is there a way to make my own harness? Can I splice into the factory light switch harness to make the new inverter switch to work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Arkman

First Name
Arkman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thank you for this post. I was super bummed to not see the harness for the inverter switch. After reading your post I did a deep dive behind the dash(speaker) and found it.
Thanks for saving the day man. 🙏

Alkapin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR
I have a factory bedliner that covers the cover for that large square opening in bed for the power outlets option. I want to remove it for some custom work in its place. Are there screws holding it in place? Is it plastic? How should I approach to remove it?
Sponsored