Bed rack/storage for kayaks

1. Bobzdar

Bobzdar Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
    Liked:
    2016+ Tacoma mounts can be made to work, both yakima and thule (shown), but need slight modification.

20190630_161853.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    kayakmike

kayakmike Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
    Liked:
    Rocket Scientist
    I'm really hoping I don't need an over-cab rack for my Gladiator...then I'm no better off than my Grand Cherokee. I've got the Mopar cross bars sitting in my shop. Just need my Granite LE to be built/delivered to start trying it out.

3. Bobzdar

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    You don't, both Yakima and Thule make lower or adjustable racks, I was just pointing out that for mounting you can adapt the 2016+ tacoma kit from either manufacturer (they're different but both have been shown to work on here). I wanted above cab so I could fill the bed with stuff underneath the rack and also carry stuff that could extend over the cab. The xsporter pro from thule can be lowered - the amount of adjustability isn't huge due to the wheel well placement on the gladiator limiting how much the front can adjust, but you if you know how high you want it you can cut the front telescoping legs to hit that minimum height and still be able to raise it 6" or so from that. In actuality you could make it so it was only a few inches above the bed. It has a 450lb capacity, which is a lot higher than the mopar rails I'm sure. The non-adjustable rack I have has a an 800lb limit, and the 'pro' version has a 1000lb limit. So one of the other benefits of these rack is that they have a MUCH higher weight limit than either the roof rack or bed rails do.

Here's the Yakima setup another forum member put together, using their tacoma mounting kit. Probably what you're looking for as it's only about half height to the cab.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/thule-xsporter-pro.18303/

4. OP
    OP
    kayakmike

kayakmike Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
    Liked:
    Rocket Scientist
    Yep, I've seen the posts Xsporter and Overhaul systems and like them. My point with the original post that started this thread is that ideally I'd like bed height rails so I can still put gear underneath the rails in the bed, and hopefully still put my Kuat hitch mount bike rack on the back. How well my whitewater kayaks fit on the bed rails is still TBD. The more I start seeing folks setups, the more I may end up caving in on an above roof line rack. I have an idea to adapt the Overhaul system to still work with the roll up tonneau cover & trail rail system, but in reality something will probably have to give.

5. Bobzdar

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Gotcha. I had similar internal debates, they're all a compromise in some way. Given it's a truck with a fairly small bed, I didn't want to reduce bed storage at all, hence the high rack, but it does sacrfice some fuel mileage when stuff is put up there. When nothing is on it, it doesn't make any noise or reduce fuel mileage at all (and is easy to take off/put on), so it's pretty low compromise.

kayakmike and Pat2Alaska like this.
  6. Gobi Wan K

Gobi Wan K Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 Power Wagon
    Liked:
    Roller Coaster Tester
    I have been reading through this and understand your dilemma However having had pickups and SUVs I think a roof line rack on the Gladiator will be much easier than a Cherokee. You can stand on the tailgate/in the bed where as a Cherokee tailgate blocks access to the back. I still agree that it wont be as easy as a bed height rack but I don't think it will be bad and will offer more flexibility.

7. Malarkey21

Malarkey21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
    Liked:
    Sorry guys. Forgot about this thread. I Ended up making my own kayak rack for my truck. It’s all aluminum and I made inserts so it mounts to the bed rail system. It’s high enough to fit action packers underneath. For size the red kayak is 8ft. And the green is 9ft. The last picture is the bracket that I made to make it work. If you guys want more info let me know. I’ll take some more pics and share more details.

B6B833B3-6180-4019-B432-175AE07B018D.jpeg

5B77909D-D386-4DCF-BDBB-9AF96E0E1C79.jpeg

A9C1CE0F-4224-4D51-B598-979A70F5B39C.jpeg

E5E83F3E-1D35-4803-AFF7-5F1F073CA36C.jpeg

8C6355F6-9B5C-4014-AEC6-567320C64279.jpeg

8. uplandgunner

uplandgunner Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    My solution until more aftermarket stuff comes online. I don't want to commit to first gen things so I went this way utilizing what I had and and some things that have other uses down the line. I used some Thule parts from the rack I used on my 2016 JKU and a receiver rack for hauling long stuff like boards and suchIMG_3495.JPG IMG_3493.JPG

9. conenopka

conenopka Member

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT 2016 WK2 2000 XJ
    Liked:
    I just put the J mounts up to haul the kayak and it works great! This is the ROLA rack for the tacoma frontier. Had no issues and made no modifications to mount it to the Gladiator.

IMG_0806.JPG

noside85 likes this.
  10. conenopka

conenopka Member

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT 2016 WK2 2000 XJ
    Liked:
    Works great for the kayak using the add on J hook kayak racks I bought from amazon.

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

71L97NkBxML._SL1200_.jpg

11. Sladecm

Sladecm Active Member

First Name:
    Slade
    Vehicle(s):
    All of the motorcycles...
    Liked:
    Did you make those?