Sponsored

Beefing Up Sport S Axles

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Getting ready to go for 37s or 38s on a Sport S and I like to wheel.
My philosophy is to over build a bit so that I do not have to worry on the trail.
Eventually I'd like to do Holy Cross and Rubicon. 4x4 Bucket List Please use links etc..... When referencing things.

1. I have the @TeraFlex HD Ball Joints on my desk. https://teraflex.com/jl-jt-dana-30-44-hd-ball-joint-kit-w-out-knurl-2-upper-2-lower.html

2. Mojave vs Reid Racing Knuckles... https://www.reidracing.biz/jljt Opinions? I ordered the Mojave ones, but they are on back order.....

3. Splines?

4. Truss?

5. Drag Link and Steering Rod? https://www.offroadelements.com/rpm...inum-drag-link-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-2018/

School me...
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Barnes and Artec both have trusses and gussets, barnes are cheaper and i dont think either is really any better than the other
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-JL-and-JT-Dana-44-M210-Front-Axle-Truss_p_1200.html
https://www.artecindustries.com/jlapexftruss

Draglink and tie rod I went rpm steering but their prices have really gone up. They use apex chassis tie rod ends, and apex also sells basically the same exact parts. Deutch offroad is another option, again basically the exact same thing as the others
RPM Steering
Deutch Offroad

I will say, the tie rod/draglink are the best upgrade i ever made in terms of daily driver. I'm assuming my stock parts were at fault, but swapping over really tightened everything up substantially.

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Thank you,

These are the comments I'd like to get. I'd wager a few people can benefit from this thread.

Barnes and Artec both have trusses and gussets, barnes are cheaper and i dont think either is really any better than the other
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-JL-and-JT-Dana-44-M210-Front-Axle-Truss_p_1200.html
https://www.artecindustries.com/jlapexftruss

Draglink and tie rod I went rpm steering but their prices have really gone up. They use apex chassis tie rod ends, and apex also sells basically the same exact parts. Deutch offroad is another option, again basically the exact same thing as the others
RPM Steering
Deutch Offroad

I will say, the tie rod/draglink are the best upgrade i ever made in terms of daily driver. I'm assuming my stock parts were at fault, but swapping over really tightened everything up substantially.

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I installed the Metalcloak steering upgrade (tie rod, and drag link) and have had no issues with 37s so far 10k miles in. I don't do hard core wheeling though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Better stuff = safer rig.
"Don't need" is a little harsh.... ;)

I donā€™t need any of this stuff.

But I canā€™t wait to order and install it.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I'm just going to save this thread and do everything the wrong way, deciding what I need after I bolt on 38s

I just keep telling myself the Patagonia 38s are virtually the same weight as my Toyo 35s and i'll be fine :CWL:

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Man.... I figure If I start now I will be ready for big tires when the 35s are done. This is for those of us that are not able to just pop for Dana 60s. I tend to piece my shit together a few hundred at a time. The intent is to over build it. Then wheel just under the capabilities of the rig.

I got 4 kids and a single income.
Some of y'all got spouses or whatever.
The goal is to take my Sport S to something respectable.

I'm just going to save this thread and do everything the wrong way, deciding what I need after I bolt on 38s

I just keep telling myself the Patagonia 38s are virtually the same weight as my Toyo 35s and i'll be fine :CWL:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Better stuff = safer rig.
"Don't need" is a little harsh.... ;)
If that's the case, then why do I need?
And how would mine be safer with any of that since it's not unsafe or unstable now?
As equipped they are pretty tough - have you seen the videos I posted earlier of Gladiators mingled in with some heavy built Wranglers and such?

How or why would mine be safer.
Why do I need any of that.

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Stop poking holes in my fallacious logic. :CWL: I'm starting to think I need a font for sarcasm...Is comic sans taken?

This from the man that wet sands like he's making a samurai sword. :CWL: :like: Factory paint never looked that good.

They are pretty tough stock. But when you mod one thing you do need to adjust the rest of the system. Not about to increase my rotational weight exponentially and not address gearing and ball joints and knuckles etc. My 2.5in lift had a change in track bar and control arm length.

If that's the case, then why do I need?
And how would mine be safer with any of that since it's not unsafe or unstable now?
As equipped they are pretty tough - have you seen the videos I posted earlier of Gladiators mingled in with some heavy built Wranglers and such?

How or why would mine be safer.
Why do I need any of that.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You are going to have to replace the frame. It won't handle the stresses placed on it by turning those heavy tires and wheels. They'll be like gyroscopes, the frame will bend and flex from the stresses. And when that frame flexes and twists, you'll be cracking body panels.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Tube thickness is higher, Cā€™s seem to be better. (Thinking back to my ā€˜09 JKU Rubi)

If you are heavy on the skinny pedal, I could see a reason for upgrades, but for 37s?

Swap the knuckles for steel rather than aluminum. Reid if they are cheaper or at least close to the OEM ones.
Mojave or Diesel knuckles are what you want.

A truss? You good with a welder? Labor can be pretty high to burn one on.
Also, they better darn well know what theyā€™re doing or theyā€™ll tweak the housing.

My JK with weaker axles were fine with 35s, wheeling stuff pretty hard, including phougkeepsie, without using a winch/strap. All I did were c-gussets.

Jeep fixed a lot of things.

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
shoot maybe I should just buy Bronco...

You are going to have to replace the frame. It won't handle the stresses placed on it by turning those heavy tires and wheels. They'll be like gyroscopes, the frame will bend and flex from the stresses. And when that frame flexes and twists, you'll be cracking body panels.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
And can I get that adjusted? Sleeves are a bit long and the buckles are on the back...

Orderly - bring the jacket...........
Sponsored