Best Radio for Talking with Others in ORV Areas

mbush91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Looking for advice on a handheld radio that will let me communicate with the most others in ORV Parks / areas.

The wife and I are planning a few trips to test out the gladiator this summer and we are looking for suggestions on radios that would be good for communicating with others. Mostly just to say hi or ask for help if we run out of talent.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Looking for advice on a handheld radio that will let me communicate with the most others in ORV Parks / areas.

The wife and I are planning a few trips to test out the gladiator this summer and we are looking for suggestions on radios that would be good for communicating with others. Mostly just to say hi or ask for help if we run out of talent.

Cheers!
Doesn't matter, as long as you find out what channel people are on. We usually run a channel just for our own group

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I use these from Walmart. They’re cheap and work great. I just spent a week on a trip with two buddies and we kept in touch the whole time. You will find them in the camping area at the store. I have four of them so I can share and keep extra batteries on hand. No chargers or other stuff to mess around with.
Jeep Gladiator Best Radio for Talking with Others in ORV Areas EC2F39ED-287B-49B9-8942-4B594635047A

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I also run a cb with the kit from Quadratec. I have a hard mount GMRS but haven’t hooked it up yet.

Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
GMRS are certainly becoming more popular as they don't sound like shit. Good for carrying around if you just want a handheld. Good if you want to talk to a spotter outside the vehicle. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but super short range, at least from a handheld.

In my experience in the northeast/midwest the overwhelming majority of people wheeling still run CBs. That's as a hard mount setup, of course. Not as a handheld.

Best? 2m amateur radio. But it's only good if others have it too... And also, not hand held.

tldr GMRS. Technically need a license.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
GMRS are certainly becoming more popular as they don't sound like shit. Good for carrying around if you just want a handheld. Good if you want to talk to a spotter outside the vehicle. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but super short range, at least from a handheld.

In my experience the overwhelming majority of people wheeling still run CBs. That's as a hard mount setup, of course. Not as a handheld.

Best? 2m amateur radio. But it's only good if others have it too... And also, not hand held.

tldr GMRS. Technically need a license.
Someone can correct me too, but I thought GMRS was just the opposite and had massive range depending not the power of the radio itself?

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Someone can correct me too, but I thought GMRS was just the opposite and had massive range depending not the power of the radio itself?
That makes sense to me. CB is lower frequency, it should carry further and through obstructions better, was my reasoning. GMRS has a 50w max I think and CB something really low like 4 or 5 watts. I would guess most handheld GMRS radios are in that lower end.

I'm not an expert, and never used GMRS.

edit: I'm not advocating for CB either. I hate CB lol. It's just common.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I like my GMRS. I can chat with @FR33DOM from 10 miles away. Most Jeep Jamborees are requiring GMRS. Yes you need a license, but it's $35 for 10 years.
I have mine mounted in cab and may pick up a few handhelds for spotting etc.
It's great for rounding up people when they come in from all over for a trip. Agree to a channel before. Then people can pick each other up and coordinate. Also great for wheeling in a group.
People chat on them and issue alerts to incoming traffic, bikes, hikers, horses....etc....
I went on my first off road trip in a group. Borrowed a handheld and then bought a GMRS that night.
It was one of my first mods.

Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I like my GMRS. I can chat with @FR33DOM from 10 miles away. Most Jeep Jamborees are requiring GMRS. Yes you need a license, but it's $35 for 10 years.
I have mine mounted in cab and may pick up a few handhelds for spotting etc.
It's great for rounding up people when they come in from all over for a trip. Agree to a channel before. Then people can pick each other up and coordinate. Also great for wheeling in a group.
People chat on them and issue alerts to incoming traffic, bikes, hikers, horses....etc....
I went on my first off road trip in a group. Borrowed a handheld and then bought a GMRS that night.
It was one of my first mods.
That's a glowing endorsement for one. I have a Yaesu FT2900R ham and Midland CB in my TJ and I was going to get a FTM400XD ham for the Gladiator and maybe just skip the CB...

You've got me thinking I should get a GMRS too.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I have even used mine when I was solo on Imogene.. Came across a group of vintage Toyotas.
25+ spread out all over Imogene. Jumped on their channel just so I knew when they were coming up. Got to hear about a punctured fuel tank and some other drama.

That's a glowing endorsement for one. I have a Yaesu FT2900R ham and Midland CB in my TJ and I was going to get a FTM400XD ham for the Gladiator and maybe just skip the CB...

You've got me thinking I should get a GMRS too.
Jeep Gladiator Best Radio for Talking with Others in ORV Areas 5B91C2D3-1692-4B4D-AB22-E56B9227599A

Jeep Gladiator Best Radio for Talking with Others in ORV Areas 8C0356C6-9C73-46FB-B680-32106C4C7808

Jeep Gladiator Best Radio for Talking with Others in ORV Areas 2B15A85A-02BA-45C6-8C59-E974A9E4FD82

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
GMRS is the future but a lot of people are slow to adapt. Out of probably 15 rigs in my club at River Rock last weekend I was the only one running GMRS. Luckily I also had two handhelds so I was able to pass those out for spotting and relaying information everyone else was talking about on CB.

The sound quality and ease of handhelds may have caused a few people to consider them. Truckers have absolutely not switched over and will probably be the last to do so. I ran my vehicle mounted radio on scan for the 4 hour trip and never picked up any regular radio traffic.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I also run a cb with the kit from Quadratec. I have a hard mount GMRS but haven’t hooked it up yet.
Which Kit are you referring to?

Rattydude77

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Contractor
Baofeng uv-5r is a great radio its a cb a scanner plus a radio I got the 2 pack on Amazon for the wife and I and they work pretty good but like anything do you own research

s-l225.jpg
Sponsored