Bike Tailgate Pad Suggestions

Mike_V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
has anyone thrown a tail gate pad for bikes on the JT yet? I'm looking for one that doesn't block the camera or handle. Also, most of the small/medium ones out there seem too wide for the tailgate,

Any suggestions

thanks
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

DanielM3

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator LE
Looking for a tailgate pad as well. Most/all I have seen are too wide.

Gladiatorx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Colorado wt
anyone find anything yet, tailgate is 49" and most of the small tailgate pads are 54" wide, not sure what to do with the excess. curious if anyone has tried one yet.

Sponsored

bainbridge-xj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Cherokee XJ, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
FYI- I emailed Dakine as I am looking for a tailgate pad for my Gladiator and they responded by saying that their existing tailgate pads are too wide but they have something in the works for 2020. Below is part of their response email:

"Your best option will be a new product, coming Summer 2020, which is a mini version. It's designed to carry 2 bikes & fit the Gladiator tailgate."

tems.zendesk.com%2Fattachments%2Ftoken%2FwfxAJLQFC1rE5UDRNNbIPbMab%2F%3Fname%3Dinline-2075174108.png

mtbclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
FYI- I emailed Dakine as I am looking for a tailgate pad for my Gladiator and they responded by saying that their existing tailgate pads are too wide but they have something in the works for 2020. Below is part of their response email:

"Your best option will be a new product, coming Summer 2020, which is a mini version. It's designed to carry 2 bikes & fit the Gladiator tailgate."

tems.zendesk.com%2Fattachments%2Ftoken%2FwfxAJLQFC1rE5UDRNNbIPbMab%2F%3Fname%3Dinline-2075174108.png
2 bike straps? I'm hoping someone will produce a 48" model that will support at least 4, ideally 5 bikes. I'm not seeing a lot of options out there for anything but 2 bikes outside of a hitch mount which with 4 bikes on it is going to make the total length beyond ridiculous. Anyone else seeing alternatives to hitch mount for 4+ bikes? Tailgate pad would be my first choice if someone gets in the game.

Gladiatorx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Colorado wt

Funny I came here to post the very same thing, dakine did not send me specs but they did tell me about the product. I tried to fit every major brand small sized tailgate mat and the thule was the closest fit, but still no go. I am afraid it will be straps and a lowered tailgate until someone makes a smaller pad. Other than this dakine one, I don't see it happening. Nobody else has such a small tailgate and there just wont be enough gladiators to justify a major manufacturer to make one of these. Perhaps mopar will contract for one.

bainbridge-xj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Cherokee XJ, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
FYI- since I didn't want to wait until next summer for the smaller Dakine version, I picked up a Dakine DLX, size small, and it works really well. Width-wise, it is perfect. Oddly, however, it is about two inches too tall such that there is a bit too much material covering the back of the tailgate. However, the good news is that it does cover the entire tailgate from side to side (but no overlap on the brake lights) and top to bottom. Also, the DLX has a big flap which allows use of the backup camera when you don't have bikes in the back. Given how it fits I wouldn't get a smaller version at this point. I can post some pictures if anyone is interested.

Gladiatorx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Colorado wt
FYI- since I didn't want to wait until next summer for the smaller Dakine version, I picked up a Dakine DLX, size small, and it works really well. Width-wise, it is perfect. Oddly, however, it is about two inches too tall such that there is a bit too much material covering the back of the tailgate. However, the good news is that it does cover the entire tailgate from side to side (but no overlap on the brake lights) and top to bottom. Also, the DLX has a big flap which allows use of the backup camera when you don't have bikes in the back. Given how it fits I wouldn't get a smaller version at this point. I can post some pictures if anyone is interested.

please post pics, the thule I tried which is 2" less than the dakine blocked the ability to close the tailgate. I would like to see how you fitted it. I would prefer to use a full width unit than a half.

Sponsored

mcoven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
think you can fit 4 MTB's like that without them moving around or potentially scratching each other?

Gladiatorx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Colorado wt
Can you open and close the tailgate with it attached?