Sponsored

Black Rhino wheel measurements with 3.5" lift?

bgoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
Looking at these. I'm putting in the Clayton 3.5" lift and trying to pair these wheels with it.

17x9.5 w/ 4.5" backspacing (-18mm offset)
17x8 w/ 5.56" backspacing (+27mm offset)

Would the 5.56" backspacing work with this kit? Or is that too much backspacing? I don't want the wheels sticking out so much and I think -18mm on the other size is way too much.
Sponsored

ssrgeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD '21 JTR,
I would think you would want to stay at 5" and below on back spacing for clearance. I am sure someone who has experience with the COR lift will chime in.

OP
OP
bgoman

bgoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
I would think you would want to stay at 5" and below on back spacing for clearance. I am sure someone who has experience with the COR lift will chime in.
Yeah, I guess my questions is: how much backspacing is too much? I understand how offset works but not how to determine how much backspacing is appropriate.

ssrgeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD '21 JTR,
Yeah, I guess my questions is: how much backspacing is too much? I understand how offset works but not how to determine how much backspacing is appropriate.
I may stand corrected. Seems that a 5.5" BS may work, best to check with @Clayton Off Road direct. Do you have the max tow package with the wider axle? That will contribute to the width as well. I came across this thread the other day which will give you a visual idea on a +27 offset.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/new-wheels-for-my-gladiator.30640/#post-605783

OP
OP
bgoman

bgoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
I may stand corrected. Seems that a 5.5" BS may work, best to check with @Clayton Off Road direct. Do you have the max tow package with the wider axle? That will contribute to the width as well. I came across this thread the other day which will give you a visual idea on a +27 offset.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/new-wheels-for-my-gladiator.30640/#post-605783
Thanks! Checking out that thread now.

No max tow here. Planning to regear but that's a separate issue lol

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Our recommended spec to stay within is somewhere between 4.5 to 4.75 backspacing for best results. However this is taking into consideration heavy off-road use of course. If you have a Rubicon or a max tow package JT, anything with the wider axles, then you can fit something closer to or around 5" of backspacing without rubbing. Also, if your main goal and concern is on-road performance and ride quality, then you shouldn't experience any major problems as this is mostly of concern only when the steering wheel is at full-lock. If off-road performance is important to you or you just want zero rubbing issues, a wheel spacer may be necessary in order to run those wheels more comfortably. Hopefully this helps!

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Our recommended spec to stay within is somewhere between 4.5 to 4.75 backspacing for best results. However this is taking into consideration heavy off-road use of course. If you have a Rubicon or a max tow package JT, anything with the wider axles, then you can fit something closer to or around 5" of backspacing without rubbing. Also, if your main goal and concern is on-road performance and ride quality, then you shouldn't experience any major problems as this is mostly of concern only when the steering wheel is at full-lock. If off-road performance is important to you or you just want zero rubbing issues, a wheel spacer may be necessary in order to run those wheels more comfortably. Hopefully this helps!
Hello, I am also ordered the Clayton 3.5" Overland Plus kit on a Gladiator Rubicon (wide axles). I plan to use the Method 313 wheels with a 25 offset --- 17x8.5 | 5x5 | 25/5.80" | MR31378550525. Do you think there is any chance at all of a 37x12.5x17 tire rubbing at full lock with the 3.5" overland lift kit on a Rubicon ? I want zero rubbing. Do I really need to buy the zero offset wheels for the Rubicon? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello, I am also ordered the Clayton 3.5" Overland Plus kit on a Gladiator Rubicon (wide axles). I plan to use the Method 313 wheels with a 25 offset --- 17x8.5 | 5x5 | 25/5.80" | MR31378550525. Do you think there is any chance at all of a 37x12.5x17 tire rubbing at full lock with the 3.5" overland lift kit on a Rubicon ? I want zero rubbing. Do I really need to buy the zero offset wheels for the Rubicon? Thanks in advance for any advice.
I believe the backspacing on those wheels is 5.80" which would unfortunately lead to some rubbing. Basically with any lift kit, when you're installing bigger wider tires you need to push them out further to keep them away from the control arms. If you really want to run these wheel and don't want any sort of rubbing, I would definitely look into some wheel spacer options!

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I believe the backspacing on those wheels is 5.80" which would unfortunately lead to some rubbing. Basically with any lift kit, when you're installing bigger wider tires you need to push them out further to keep them away from the control arms. If you really want to run these wheel and don't want any sort of rubbing, I would definitely look into some wheel spacer options!
For the Method 313 wheel, they make two sizes for the Jeep Gladiator (listed below). I thought with the Rubicon and the wider axles, I could make it without rubbing with the 25/5.80" on 37x12.5x17, but, you are telling me that the 0/4.75" version is required even with the wider axles on the Rubicon. Is this just a general rule ? or do you guys have first hand experience with this size rim on a Rubicon with the wider axles. I do not want to run wheel spacers, so, I can still switch to the zero offset version if needed. Thanks again for your feedback.

17x8.5 | 5x5 | 25/5.80" | MR31378550525
17x8.5 | 5x5 | 0/4.75" | MR31378550500

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
With the wider axles on the Rubicon, you could probably be closer to around 5" of backspacing without rubbing, but I think 5.8" would definitely require wheel spacers in order to not cause you any problems. Going with the 4.75" backspacing option would be the best option for you if you don't want to have any sort of rubbing or the need to run wheel spacers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
With the wider axles on the Rubicon, you could probably be closer to around 5" of backspacing without rubbing, but I think 5.8" would definitely require wheel spacers in order to not cause you any problems. Going with the 4.75" backspacing option would be the best option for you if you don't want to have and sort of rubbing or the need to run wheel spacers.
Ok, you convinced me. I will go with 17x8.5 | 5x5 | 0/4.75" | MR31378550500. Thanks so much for your help.

OP
OP
bgoman

bgoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
Thank you! Answers my question.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
There are some good options in this thread. I have thought about getting a wheel and tire combo that tucks under the fender. Black Rhino seems to have a bunch of options. If I was going to mess with my Max Tow again. I think I would do a spacer lift with track bars and lower links to adjust camber. Then a set of Black Rhino's with Nitto Duragrapplers. They look somewaht aggressive but are great towing and silent on the highway.

RaleighRubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting Grey Gladiator Rubicon
Reviving this thread (that I wish I had found sooner, lol).

I can confirm a slight rub running 37" BFG AT's on AEV Pintlers (5.77" backspacing) with my COR 2.5" Overland plus kit. I assume wheel spacers are the most straightforward solution?
Sponsored