Sponsored

Brake fluid in coolant expansion tank

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I would like to blame my wife, son, or the dog, but I accidentally put about 3 ounces of Dot 3 brake fluid in my coolant expansion tank. I immediately realized it and siphoned the entire tank empty. After reading that brake fluid is glycol based and would be soluble with the coolant I decided to fill the tank with water and siphon twice to attempt to get all the contaminant out. My question is, with the engine being cold and never started could the contaminated coolant have gone beyond the expansion tank into the rest of the cooling system? If I understand the cooling system, the tank collects expansion when the coolant heats up and conversely returns coolant when the engine cools. There is a hose under the expansion tank. Is there some kind of pressure valve that opens and closes at the expansion tank base where it connects that would have prevented anything from reaching the rest of the cooling system? This is why they should have never legalized weed in my state.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
With what you did. I think you will be fine. Since you never started the engine. You're not the first person to do something like this. Neighbor put washer fluid into his coolant reservoir and ran all of last summer like that. Far as I know, it's still like that.

Jeep Gladiator Brake fluid in coolant expansion tank 1678328861935

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I think I would've said it was my neighbor and I was asking for her 😂
The neighbor is a crayon eater (retired marine grunt). Rick is a good guy, but sometimes, things slip passed him. LOL

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Haha. I meant the OP.
I've done stupid stuff before. I'm not going to tell you how I ruined a $120K Iso-Carbon seal on a hydrogen compressor.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
You are most likely fine. Never a bad idea to go ahead and just flush the system and use OEM coolant and distilled water in like a week

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My question is, with the engine being cold and never started could the contaminated coolant have gone beyond the expansion tank into the rest of the cooling system?
No, you are fine. The only time it could be an issue is if the thing was warm and cooling off.
You did the right thing.
Frankly, I'd not sweat it a bit.

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
With what you did. I think you will be fine. Since you never started the engine. You're not the first person to do something like this. Neighbor put washer fluid into his coolant reservoir and ran all of last summer like that. Far as I know, it's still like that.

Neighbor huh? Sticking with that story I see…🧐

OP
OP
Dave from Maine
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

Damn, I remember you neighbor from childhood. We used to take the same bus to school. We always wondered why it was shorter than the one the other kids took.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Damn, I remember you neighbor from childhood. We used to take the same bus to school. We always wondered why it was shorter than the one the other kids took.
Rick was eating crayons back in grade school. Still eats them today. He came out of his mother's womb a jar head. He will die a jar head with crayons stuck to his teeth.

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
At least you didn't do what Sears Automotive did to my sister. She had them change the transmission fluid and the guy refilled it using the oil dipstick. The engine was full, to the valve covers, the intake manifold gasket blew out the back, and the transmission welded itself into one unassembleable hunk of scrap, and Sears would cover the cost. I would imagine it took a long time to pour all those quarts down the little hole. That should have been some indication to a normal person but...
Sponsored