Sponsored

Brake Hissing

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Does anyone's brakes hiss? Mine have an audible hiss (heard when windows are down) with both depression and release of the brake pedal. Lasts for 3 seconds. The brakes seem to work fine. I am easy on baking, slow and controlled, have only had to apply more vigorously once, about a month ago (1st week of driving it). I sent an email to Jeep asking about it, but they may take a few days to get back to me. Dealer's service department didn't know about it being normal or not, said I could drop by and they'd take a look. There was a thread on this topic in the Brakes section a while back but the poster said it was a rental and he never got it resolved.

Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow, 2750mi
Sponsored

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I have noticed mine does the same thing. Have not addressed it with my dealer yet, but plan on it when I go in for my first service. I am curious to hear what you find out.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have noticed mine does the same thing. Have not addressed it with my dealer yet, but plan on it when I go in for my first service. I am curious to hear what you find out.
Heading to a dealer Saturday

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi @PyrPatriot and @DirtyD,

We're sorry to hear that you have this concern with your brakes. Please send our teams a private message if you would like additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Sounds like the brake booster may have a vacuum leak, there should be no hiss when brakes are applied.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the brake booster may have a vacuum leak, there should be no hiss when brakes are applied.
That is what I thought. Hopefully that is all it is and dealership sees it as a warranty fix

WranglerWillys

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 Willy's MB
It's the new designed vacuum pump/booster at front of the engine. It makes noise.

Dealer will probably tell you it's normal.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's the new designed vacuum pump/booster at front of the engine. It makes noise.

Dealer will probably tell you it's normal.
Dealer said it isnt normal as did Jeep Customer Care, and no other JT owner that I have come across has heard it nor could I hear it on theirs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the technicians agreed the brake booster vacuum pump was way too loud when compared to other Jeeps on the lot. Apparently you are only supposed to barely hear it. They said it was working fine, putting out all the right pressures, but they couldnt explain why it was so loud. They also didnt say if it was supposed to be activated both with pedal depress and release or if it should engage when in park. They will replace it regardless under warranty

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Not too add to an old thread, but drove my Gladiator the past few days and it seems it makes the same hissing noise, but once the Jeep is warmed up. If I lower the window and the truck is in an enclosed space you can hear it when you press and release brake pedal. Its pretty loud. Iā€™m going to contact the local dealer here and get it checked out when I have some time.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not too add to an old thread, but drove my Gladiator the past few days and it seems it makes the same hissing noise, but once the Jeep is warmed up. If I lower the window and the truck is in an enclosed space you can hear it when you press and release brake pedal. Its pretty loud. Iā€™m going to contact the local dealer here and get it checked out when I have some time.
Dealer replaced the pump DESPITE saying it was putting out all the right pressures. They admitted it was a bit loud. I cant recall if it was any louder than another JT but recently at an oil change I compared it to another JT and a JLU and they sound about the same.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
After my experiences around where I live and have lived - when I hear a hiss I back up slowly and quietly for a bit, then run like heck.
Usually means a snake - or a pissed-off cat. (the cat I'll deal with, but a hissing snake.........) I used to like snakes until I got my face about 6" from a rattler a few years ago. He was really quiet until I got too close - for his AND MY comfort.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After my experiences around where I live and have lived - when I hear a hiss I back up slowly and quietly for a bit, then run like heck.
Usually means a snake - or a pissed-off cat. (the cat I'll deal with, but a hissing snake.........) I used to like snakes until I got my face about 6" from a rattler a few years ago. He was really quiet until I got too close - for his AND MY comfort.
His is a constant/repeatable 3 seconds with each application and/or release of the brake pedal. Doubt snakes are like that
Sponsored