Sponsored

Bugs hitting me in the head off the mirror when windows down. Bad Jeep.

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
i live and die by the 3" convex mirrors i stick on every single vehicle i ever own, so no it's not really an option, this is more of an awareness thing. I may have to come up with a fix, little piece of L-bracket screwed to the side of mirror to ensure all bugs become one with the jeep instead of my face...
...you use them when you're driving 30mph with your window down?
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Would folding the mirror help?
You don't need it driving forward. Shoulder check and rearview mirror will get the job done without having a usable driver door mirror.
That's a great way to get a ticket. In a lot of states it's illegal not to have at LEAST a driver's side mirror in working order. Not to mention license restrictions that make it mandatory as well. Here in my state pretty much any license restriction requires both outside mirrors be installed and in working order (not folded either). Even back in the 60s and 70s you may have noticed cars that only had 1 mirror on the driver's side but not passenger side.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You DON'T use your mirrors below 30mph with your windows down? I personally use my mirrors quite a bit, anywhere between stopped, reversing, and going forward at any speed... You may be doing it wrong lol.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
yup, they are used constantly, they are peripheral and subconsciously used by me for so long. i'm always monitoring where everyone is on the road, if any bacon is sneakin up on me, to any errant prius drivers...who knows but i'm like the oracle when i'm driving...all knowing, all seeing ;)

feel naked without them, shoulder checking is just not a part of my life unless i have to drive someone else's car

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
any way the point of this is the inside angle of the stock mirrors when the window is down is such that it banks bugs directly into your face at certain speeds where the bug doesn't liquify on the mirror but stays intact and is a redirected bullet, i was looking ahead when hit in side of head by these bugs btw, not staring at my mirrors or i'd get them in the eyes or mouth likely

Sponsored

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
You DON'T use your mirrors below 30mph with your windows down? I personally use my mirrors quite a bit, anywhere between stopped, reversing, and going forward at any speed... You may be doing it wrong lol.
I don't need an outer mirror to drive forward. Sure it's nice to have but not needed. I can see what's coming up behind me with the rearview mirror and I always look left/right, as needed, to check any blind spots - with or without door mirrors.
Driving in reverse, I turn my torso right, place my right hand behind the passenger seat and look through the rear window to look in the direction I am driving. That's how I was taught.
I think that after 55 years I'm "doing it" just fine, lol.

That's a great way to get a ticket. In a lot of states it's illegal not to have at LEAST a driver's side mirror in working order. Not to mention license restrictions that make it mandatory as well. Here in my state pretty much any license restriction requires both outside mirrors be installed and in working order (not folded either).
Obviously if functioning/usable outer mirrors are required, by law, then being aware and follow that law is necessary. I would never recommend otherwise.
Here, for better or worse, as long as the vehicle has at least one mirror we are OK.
The Ontario Highway Traffic Act reads....
... a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).

Even back in the 60s and 70s you may have noticed cars that only had 1 mirror on the driver's side but not passenger side.
The first car I ever bought was a 76 Pinto (V6 no rear bumper Kaboom! :)) and that only had a driver's door mirror. So yes, I noticed. :)

Anyway, I was simply offering, what I see to be a harmless part-time solution. Could just keep the windows up too.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't need an outer mirror to drive forward. Sure it's nice to have but not needed. I can see what's coming up behind me with the rearview mirror and I always look left/right, as needed, to check any blind spots - with or without door mirrors.
Driving in reverse, I turn my torso right, place my right hand behind the passenger seat and look through the rear window to look in the direction I am driving. That's how I was taught.
I think that after 55 years I'm "doing it" just fine, lol.

Obviously if functioning/usable outer mirrors are required, by law, then being aware and follow that law is necessary. I would never recommend otherwise.
Here, for better or worse, as long as the vehicle has at least one mirror we are OK.
The Ontario Highway Traffic Act reads....
... a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).

The first car I ever bought was a 76 Pinto (V6 no rear bumper Kaboom! :)) and that only had a driver's door mirror. So yes, I noticed. :)

Anyway, I was simply offering, what I see to be a harmless part-time solution. Could just keep the windows up too.
Lol, you're all good man, I wasn't upset, just found it funny, though I did want to make sure someone who read that may want to look at their local laws. I've seen several threads in here where people got a ticket for driving illegally and didn't realize it so I wanted to point it out.

I say he gets something akin to a phantom of the opera mask, the 1 that partially covers 1 side of his face, that should protect him and keep the air flowing :)

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this. I've had something fly in and end up between my seatbelt and my neck, it ended up stinging my neck. I'm not sure what it was but I had to pop a few Benadryl in case it was a bee since I've had some reactions to bee stings. Most of the time the bugs get stunned or killed instantly.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
i knew i wouldn't be alone on this, to have been hit enough times in one short season i knew there was a problem with the angle of that mirror, all JL's and Gladiator owners beware, if you're allergic to bees and wasps keep an epi pen handy in the jeep itself perhaps

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for your experience, but I am pretty sure this can happen with many vehicles. You just don’t enjoy the open air experience nearly as much or as often with other vehicles. So, the opportunity exists more IMO. I will take my chances and continue to enjoy the shit out my JT.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I won’t change a thing in my driving much like I usually had a couple rodeos a year riding a motorbike. I sold the bike to pay for the stereo I put in the Jeep as I was getting all my jollies except the wonderful noise of a v-twin so the stereo was my solution... and I guess I get to keep the bug rodeos also. ;)

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
most people are looking at their cell phones way more than their mirrors..... sad but true ! I am constantly scanning ALL of my mirrors, moving, stopped doesn't matter, mirrors are your friends !
Sponsored