First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Production Control Clerk
That's getting close to maxing out everything out I would imagine. What is your payload rating?
6000 pounds max is what is rated. I dont plan on going over 5000 pounds. I just saw that the Ember has a super high hitch rating.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jaybre007

Jaybre007

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Production Control Clerk
I’ve read reviews where they towed with a Mojave as part of the testing. They said it was uncontrollable. I don’t remember their specific trailer weight but it was in limits. I consider airbags mandatory for towing anywhere near half your tongue weight… like above… for the sake of headlights if nothing else.
like I said, I think, I pulled a 10 foot enclosed trailer everywhere with my jkur. Empty it was fine. Loaded it got scary a couple times. Tried to push me off a wet off ramp once. And all I had in there were some defender body panels. How I saved it comes down to growing up pullin rv and boat trailers in the Adirondack’s i guess. Going to winter shows.
Like I said. People do it. When I got my last travel trailer… it was a little 4-5000 lb thing. I bought a Cummins 2500 to pull it.
also with the tiny gas tank and average truck mileage at best… towing with the jeep seems like a good way to see every gas station coast to coast :)

don’t know what I’d do if I wanted to rv now. I’m not getting rid of the jeep but it’s all mountains around here. I’m in third going up them empty.
Jeep has no issue with the 3.6l going to 4k + rpm in whatever gear. I find that quite loud and choose to shift and still be in the powerband. As far as fuel I am getting 10-14 mpg depending on hills and such and get around 250 miles per tank. so for our little excursions of 40-100 miles it works well for us, I have a 4 spare 5 gal fuel tanks for our beach excursion we are planning with the generator and plan to fuel up before the beach and dry camp on the beach. Gotta run that a/c on the beach in the Texas heat.

Max-t

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
Occupation
Retired
Yea. I barely get that mpg climbing out of the desert. I live on the side of a hill with sop signs. Driving my daughter to school daily I average under 15 mpg. Averaged the same in my sienna. Streets/cities in California are designed to pollute. I guess that’s why they’re so up on their CARB stuff. If ya can’t hire civil engineers, hire automotive ones.
On excursions out of town I hit 21/22 depending on elevation changes. Sometimes it’s not much more than 15.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
6000 pounds max is what is rated. I dont plan on going over 5000 pounds. I just saw that the Ember has a super high hitch rating.
Right, but that is your max tow rating. I mean to ask about the maximum cargo and occupant weight as put on the door jamb sticker. Every truck is unique because of how it could have been spec’d from the factory

Should look like this:

Jeep Gladiator Can I tow an Ember travel trailer? IMG_0195

You would subtract the tongue weight + the weight of all other cargo and occupants from this figure.

OP
OP
Jaybre007

Jaybre007

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Production Control Clerk
Oh ok. Sorry a little slow here. Mine says 973. So subtract my weight, passenger weight, hitch weight, and the WDH weight, and I get my allowable cargo weight. I got it right? Still looks as if I am in the clear.

Sponsored

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
No real answer here other than I saw an Ember in person this past weekend at Costco ($59K) and I liked it a lot. It's a nice RV! I tow a 3000 lb (dry) trailer with my Mojave (it has a ~1200 lb payload - not a lot of upgrades for a Mojave) and would be very tempted by the Ember. Assuming the numbers work out, I say go for it!

MrClortho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
So been looking at the Ember travel trailers and I am confused about what I can and cannot do with this travel trailer. We are looking at the 170 MRB. The hitch weight is 630 lbs and the dry weight is 4180 pounds with a GVWR of 5460. I know the tongue weight is up there. I can max tow 6000 with the Mohave package and based upon my understanding of the 10% I am 30 pounds over. This is more a suspension issue and not a vehicle issue frame or engine issue of can I do it, I believe I can with airbags as we are talking 30 pounds not 300 or I can shift weight to the rear of the travel trailer and lighten the hitch weight to offset the 30 pounds. I at the most use about 5-10 gallons of fresh water when traveling and always fill up at the site or within 5 miles of the site and | do not plan on towing over 5k and not 5460. So is my thinking screwed up or do I need to look at another rv?
There is a lot of good advice already given. I tow a 4K TT about twice a month with my rig in the sig below. I have an anti-sway and load distribution hitch but don't use it on that trailer after the Clayton lift (rear springs are HD). I also have rear air bags but also don't use them anymore for this trailer.

I also have a 7,500lbs TT but don't use the Gladiator to tow it anymore...nope...no sir...no thank you.

In your case, with a good load distribution hitch setup and brake controller, you will be fine. I installed the Mopar unit, it was plug and play, and works great. Don't plan on getting anywhere quickly but, you'll get there eventually, lol.

OP
OP
Jaybre007

Jaybre007

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Production Control Clerk
There is a lot of good advice already given. I tow a 4K TT about twice a month with my rig in the sig below. I have an anti-sway and load distribution hitch but don't use it on that trailer after the Clayton lift (rear springs are HD). I also have rear air bags but also don't use them anymore for this trailer.

I also have a 7,500lbs TT but don't use the Gladiator to tow it anymore...nope...no sir...no thank you.

In your case, with a good load distribution hitch setup and brake controller, you will be fine. I installed the Mopar unit, it was plug and play, and works great. Don't plan on getting anywhere quickly but, you'll get there eventually, lol.
Thanks and yep I agree on the speed of the journey, sometimes it is the journey and not how quickly you get there. I learned a long time ago taking my time is time well spent and less costly in the long run. Besides the journey is 1/2 the fun!
Sponsored