Sponsored

Can this stock piece between the fender and bumper be removed?

TexasCajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
I discovered the one thing I want to change on my gladiator is how the side view looks around the tire.

Right now it is stock on a sport s. Is this piece that hangs below the fender and above the bumper part of the fender or the bumper? Can I remove the piece with no issues?

Sponsored

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
It can be removed, but exposes the wiring on the fog lights. Most will cut out the area between with a dremel tool.

Bruce

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Until I joined this forum, I didn’t realize they had that piece on the Sports, I have seen guys remove it. I think Jeep shouldn’t have it on there in the first place.

No offense to the dudes who love that piece, I’d fully support an aftermarket install if you had to have it.

OP
OP

TexasCajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
On my JL I removed the steel bumper wings and it exposed the fog light wiring so I took some ABS plastic and cut then molded it to fit a cover.

Jeep Gladiator Can this stock piece between the fender and bumper be removed? IMG_20200716_161241

Jeep Gladiator Can this stock piece between the fender and bumper be removed? IMG_20200716_161241
That's pretty cool. Well done. Above my skill set for sure.

It sounds like i can't really replace the fender if I wanted something new. Seems like I would need to replace the bumper and the fender. Bummer, not in my budget for now.

Sponsored

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My Overland version of the JT does not have this, but my Wife's Sport JT does, I have mixed feelings on this....Once you go to an aftermarket bumper there is no need to worry about it, lol

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
My Sport S didn't come with them. I don't recall seeing them on JLs or JTs in SoCal; I'm wondering if its a cold-weather thing. No offense to anyone, but those things are hideous.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
I recall reading an article that stated those fender fill pieces are mandatory in Europe (EU) not sure where else.
Part safety and I believe part EPA for mpg. Apparently helps cheat the wind a small %. Enough so that CAFE standards were met. Im not a fan of the look.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
On my JL I removed the steel bumper wings and it exposed the fog light wiring so I took some ABS plastic and cut then molded it to fit a cover.

That’s an awesome idea. I recently put a Mopar steel bumper on my Sport S and have been thinking of ways to get that area covered up on the cheap.

Sponsored

JDB81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2020 JT Gladiator Gator Rubicon
In the Australian and probably thee EURO spec all models have these, they even have plastic on the tow hooks and another hideous plastic plate to mount the front number plate

Rubi.jpg

thecalebclark

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I know a ton of people that have cut it to were the plastic still covers the fog lights but I just completely removed mine and haven’t looked back. Sure the fog lights are exposed but as soon as I removed it and saw how much mud and dust was in there even with the cover on I figured it wouldn’t really matter. 6,000+ miles later through heavy rain, mud, water crossings, car washes, etc. they are still working.

All that being said, I just have the stock halogens. If I where to upgrade to some aftermarket ones I might be a little more cautious due to the investment.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Occupation
Retired
That’s an awesome idea. I recently put a Mopar steel bumper on my Sport S and have been thinking of ways to get that area covered up on the cheap.
$8 ABS plastic sheet enough for both sides, make pattern of the area, cut with tin snips, drill holes, bolt on with stock bolts, use heat gun to mold around obstacles and fit into openings. Even if first try is a little wonky then order more and second time will be better.

Here's what it looked like before mounting and final forming.

Jeep Gladiator Can this stock piece between the fender and bumper be removed? IMG_20200621_131628
Jeep Gladiator Can this stock piece between the fender and bumper be removed? IMG_20200621_131628
Jeep Gladiator Can this stock piece between the fender and bumper be removed? IMG_20200621_130414

Last edited:

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Yeah. Mine never had one. I also don't see evidence that it existed.

My Sport S didn't come with them. I don't recall seeing them on JLs or JTs in SoCal; I'm wondering if its a cold-weather thing. No offense to anyone, but those things are hideous.
AC741BE4-15EF-44A1-AA76-AD28E03FFE83.jpeg

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
With mad respect to my Aussie friends...Massive rugby player here...have yet to try Aussie Rules Footie...

I'm shocked there is not a Mad Max Edition. This thing feels made for dystopian adventures in the Outback.

In the Australian and probably thee EURO spec all models have these, they even have plastic on the tow hooks and another hideous plastic plate to mount the front number plate

Jeep Gladiator Can this stock piece between the fender and bumper be removed? AC741BE4-15EF-44A1-AA76-AD28E03FFE83
Sponsored