Sponsored

Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
And did anyone expect different from car & driver? Really. It's not one of their favorites so.
This is their quote: " Once our truck completed Jeep's short 300-mile break-in period, a brutal high-rpm clutch drop in 4HI launched it to 60 mph in a lazy 8.5 seconds—0.2 second slower than the Rubicon." And then they claim they had to replace the transmission because the clutch and flywheel appeared to have been mysteriously damaged. I have been a subscriber for more than 30 years. They love things NOT like this Jeep and their consumers mostly driver regular sedans and SUVS (and lust for BMW etc). I think this article will just help some people figure out that they really want a Silverado or an F150. Not a Gladiator.
Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Remember, those guys drive all sorts of cars, all the time, and are not Jeep guys. What we tolerate, many don't. The gladiator is a horrendous daily driver. It really is. The same can be said for any track-specced sports car with stiff suspension. It's a tradeoff we, and I, gladly make. I enjoy driving it, but then when I step into my wife's Cherokee, goodness it's like driving a cloud. I get 15 mpg with 37s and a lift so their fuel economy is oddly poor. I agree with the engine being gutless, but I don't mind. I've always felt the engine is "adequate", which it is. But it's 2021, and the pentastar's numbers are far from class-leading. In 2012 it was great. Now.... not so much.

If they got into a 2.7T Bronco with IFS, they're gonna be thrilled. It really will raise the bar for what a daily driven off-roader will be. I'm curious to see how Jeep will keep up.
My JTR 6MT with 2 inch Mopar and 35s is my daily driver. I LOVE IT. But thats me. Do I wish it had a bit more power like a Ram TRX? Sure. Do I wish it was more planted like an F450 in cross winds? Sure. Do I wish it had a short notchy throw like my old BWM E46? Sure. But none of those vehicles can do all of what I can do in my JT. The TRX would get me arrested. The F450 would sink. The E46 cost more than the JT. In 2003. And yes - they could have picked the more popular transmission and skipped the diesel and they would LOVE the Mojave.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Whats this ”100% throttle required“ talk? (Asked in supercharged 4.88)

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I treat these kind of articles like I do move reviews (you like what you like and don't like what you don't like). If the individual is not in the market for jeep capability, they will not like the jeep no matter the trim level or accessories added. It's like a Jeep guy reviewing a Hyundai Sante Fe and saying it lacks off road capability on the Rubicon trail, it all comes down to personal preference, and I prefer the jeep capability over the luxury and refinement of a city SUV

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Do I wish it had a short notchy throw like my old BWM E46? Sure.
...The E46 cost more than the JT. In 2003.
(which E46 did you have back in '03? I had a 2001 325xi manual, such a great daily driver)

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
No those times are true.

If you leave the vehicle in 6th gear and slow all the way down to 50 and then try to accelerate, forget it. It basically won't. You must drop down into 3rd or 4th gear to speed back up.

This vehicle has no business in 6th gear at 30MPH. The gearing is way to high. That test is absolutely stupid.

To be honest, if I drop below 65 and have a need to accelerate I have found I need to downshift. Period! Anything below 2100 RPM and you aren't passing anytime soon.
30 MPH in 3rd gear is basically 1K RPM. So yeah, If you are in 6th at this speed, you are 3 gears too high, you stand no chance of accelerating. Any idiot that knows how to drive a stick shift should understand that. Evidently that doesn't include the writers for Car & Driver!

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
(which E46 did you have back in '03? I had a 2001 325xi manual, such a great daily driver)
I had a 2003 325xti - was a total unicorn. Factory sport package, awd, wagon with a manual. I loved it. Great to drive around town and on long trips. I hunted pheasant in South Dakota for 2 years with it - slept in the back and used a Yakima rocket box for extra storage. But VANOS was a problem - I used factory spec oil and changed early and often but still ended up replacing cam shafts twice before getting to 70K miles. The rear diff started to vibrate at 75K so I sold it to buy a 2008 VW GTI (my 3rd GTI lifetime - probably my all time favorite all around vehicle).

Also - I;m out in the western suburbs but I work in St. Paul off Shepard Road - I'll waive if I see you!

Deleted member 39643

Feel like there is some mis-understood hate here for C/D. Going to try to clear stuff up.

A couple of things struck me in this review:

this section: "Once our truck completed Jeep's short 300-mile break-in period, a brutal high-rpm clutch drop in 4HI launched it to 60 mph in a lazy 8.5 seconds"

and this one: "On level ground and with the manual in sixth gear, the Mojave required a staggering 24.3 seconds to complete the 30-to-50-mph and 50-to-70-mph passing tests."

I'm shocked that the transmission even lasted to 7000 miles after that, they should probably only allow those that know how to drive stick shift and understand automobiles drive their test vehicles.

the top gear 30-50mph and 50-70mph passing is also insane, not sure why that would even be a metric when some vehicles (like the jeep) have double overdrives making top gear unusable below 50 or 60mph

1. Clutch Drop start; this is how you get the lowest 0-60 time. C/D validates what Jeep tells them or doesn't tell them to do. They also post a 5-60 mph test for every vehicle that they say is more reasonable, but that time is slower than a burtal clutch drop. Not that they do that every day or anything. Could you imagine if Jeep marketed this truck with a 9.3 second 0-60? ("introducing the gladiator, the worlds slowest midsize truck")

2. Top Gear speed test; this is another standard of C/D. I believe they just do it on any car that seems viable to do it on. I believe it is a test of how usable top gear is. It is pretty bad on lots of vehicles. Turbo mustang or comaro is trash. My 2018 Honda fit with a 6MT at 123hp at the crank does it in 10 seconds or so, that is cause it is geared reasonably. This test shows how bad and unusable our 6th gear is, aka we all need regearing to like 4.88 or 5.13 or something.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Yes, what is the point of a 30-50 test and 50-70 test in top gear? They seem to do that with all the manual vehicles they test, and it makes no sense on modern 6 speeds, with the gear ratios used. Why would I do that in real life without downshifting? Also, why would one be in 6th gear at 30 miles per hour? Or try to pass in 6th at 50? The owner's manual says 6th gear in this truck is for 65mph and above. Even at that speed, If I want to pass, I'm downshifting.
I just picked up a manual Mojave last saturday. Already have 1300 miles on it. Drove all over Colorado and back to Texas flat hwys and its clear to me 5th and 6th overdrive/cruise gears.
Why would C/D try accelerating in 6th overdrive? The only thing it tests is the IQ of C/D.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Really? Besides the well-known manual transmission recall issue all they talked complained about was aerodynamics, wind noise, and fuel economy. All noise.
What a hoot - it's a JEEP - we know about wind noise. If you want a whisper quiet ride on a windy day, go buy a WK2 or an aerodynamic small Ford truck - something that's actually wind tunnel tested.
Fuel economy? Again, buy an arrow or egg-shaped SUV. These actually do quite well for what they are. I'd like mine to be back up in the 20s, but raising it by 1" and putting heavier bumper on it - well - I did some of that to myself, I guess.
If Jeep took care of their complaints about wind, aerodynamics, and economy, it likely couldn't go off-road and you'd not be able to take the top off. Any joint or seam will lead to noise - it's one reason most vehicles don't have drip rails any more. Noise and economy. If I want to not hear wind or road noise and want a total quiet ride and 26 mpg economy, I'd take my wife's WK2 - but then I'd be in big trouble as that's HER vehicle and she like to keep the miles on the odo really low. Drive it ONLY when absolutely necessary and keep it perfect - or else.

Last edited:

Sponsored

twbranch

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Metrologist
They complained about the gas mileage first thing. IT'S A FREAKING JEEP! You don't buy a Jeep for fuel mileage in the first place. You buy it for the capability. Car And Driver have always been critical of Jeep Wranglers and I really don't care about their opinion.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They complained about the gas mileage first thing. IT'S A FREAKING JEEP! You don't buy a Jeep for fuel mileage in the first place. You buy it for the capability. Car And Driver have always been critical of Jeep Wranglers and I really don't care about their opinion.
My Jeep TRUCK gets better MPG than my Chevy truck did, and it does better than my WJ does. That makes me happy. Had it done worse, I might not be as happy, but due to all the other factors, I'd still be happy. It would have to get under about 17 MPG routinely to make me less than happy with it.
Don't judge it against cars or SUVs. It is neither. It's a small truck. And to get xx capability, you have to give up something else. There's no free lunch.

twbranch

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Metrologist
My Jeep TRUCK gets better MPG than my Chevy truck did, and it does better than my WJ does. That makes me happy. Had it done worse, I might not be as happy, but due to all the other factors, I'd still be happy. It would have to get under about 17 MPG routinely to make me less than happy with it.
Don't judge it against cars or SUVs. It is neither. It's a small truck. And to get xx capability, you have to give up something else. There's no free lunch.
I agree. I buy Jeep because it does exactly what I want it to do. Do I wish I got better gas mileage. I can't say. I have never owned anything else. I am fine with what I got. I am glad they are putting bigger tanks on them. Now I can make to Hatteras without filling up half way. haha.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
C&D certainly know how to exploit the clickbait.

Jeeps aren't made for city commuting. They are adequate for that function. But drop a Mojave and an X3 or X5 in the dunes and we'll see which vehicle C&D fawns over (hint: it'll be the German one).

I'll write the article now:

"While the Gladiator Mojave took to the dunes with ease, enjoying the undulations smoothed out with the superior off-road Fox suspension, the BMW X5 was no slouch, either. With the UV-shielded windows, dual-climate controlled A/C, and ventilated seats, we were quite comfortable sitting hub-deep in the flat sand awaiting a tow. Kenny G sounded excellent in the upgraded Bose audio system. In contrast, the open-air and door-less cab of the Mojave was actively giving us skin cancer as we crested dune after dune after dune."

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
This review isn’t a good one. They don’t get Jeeps. Car magazines have ragged on the Wrangler for decades. Why should the Gladiator be different? I agree it wonders too much. My 2005 lifted LJ Rubicon isn’t nearly so flighty. Unfortunately, I think that will have to be lived with. Overall, the Gladiator is the nicest Jeep I’ve ever owned and it is helping me by doing away with the need to have my truck and toy be separate. I couldn’t be happier so far...
Sponsored