Sponsored

Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
The only thing I agree with in the review is the steering issues. It didn’t bother me at first, but after 10K miles it’s starting to wear on my patience. I had a 2-door JK and it didn’t wander or have as much play in the steering as the JT. It was horrific on our last 8hr trip to FL. I could barely keep the MF in my lane when a stout crosswind would blow or another larger vehicle would pass us. I was getting passed all the time too. I don’t get in a hurry and run about 70. There were assholes in pickups and large SUVs running 90 past me that nearly pushed me out of my lane when they would go by. Shit was a nightmare.

Nothing else bothers me about the Gladiator.
That is about the same for me.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
There is an option box you can check that gets you a world class 8-speed automatic that is one of the best transmissions on the planet, and they skipped it? And then write an article complaining about having transmission issues?

There is an option box you can check that gets you 70% more torque and 30% more fuel economy, and they skipped it? Well, I guess it's not their fault that the Mojave is the ONLY trim level that doesn't get that option.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
There is an option box you can check that gets you a world class 8-speed automatic that is one of the best transmissions on the planet, and they skipped it? And then write an article complaining about having transmission issues?
Absolutely one of the big reasons I chose the Gladiator over the Colorado & Ranger. It was soooo smooth on my test drive, I was incredibly impressed.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Do you have a Cliff's Notes version on the problems after the change? I did a quick search and didn't see anything. I've been absent from the forum for about 6mos.
Wait. Wait wait.

A gladiator isn't a chevy traverse?

Manual issue is a big deal. Rest of the article might as well just said. I know not what i drive

Tracking issue is the only odd issue i see. But mojave is a lot different than my sport. I have zero wandering or lane holding issues unless cross winds get over 40 mph.

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
That was a little bit of a consumer reports type evaluation. CR could review the new corvette and while they agree that performance is stellar, they would ding it for trunk space, fuel mileage and ride. Duh. Some vehicles are inherently a trade off and thats the whole point. Not everybody wants a Camry despite its 5 star reviews

Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
“Along with the cacophony of wind and road noise that permeates our Jeep's cabin at speed (with the hardtop installed),”

Anytime I hear this kind of eloquent speech for any automotive review (except Maybe the Jaguar and Bentley) I am tuning out. This is a BS review IMOP.

I will say this and it may upset you manual purchasers... I love rowing gears myself, but will leave that to a sports car or old Jeep. Today’s Automatic is incredible. They are stronger, more efficient and with the 3.6L the new 8 speed auto provides the best power, Tow ratings and mpgs.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I quit reading C&D years ago, in the 70s they did a long term on a CJ7 and had the same complaints. Well no trans recall and they did not trash the clutch. Possibly 40 years ago they had someone on staff who could drive a straight shift.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some of the problem with their reviews is that they are "car guys", and are holding the Gladiator to a higher standard.

Its not fair, but its also somewhat reasonable. First time buyers need to know that the $55k vehicle they are considering has worse road manners than a base $19k Hyundai. Its a compromise for the off road ability. And its important that buyers understand that.

Unacceptable is the issue with the transmission. As someone who keeps his cars for 10+ years and 150k, this is a worry for me as I go round and round with buying a Gladiator.

Re the need to floor the throttle, this is partly a result in their choice of a manual trans. I love sticks. I had one in my VW years ago, then in my Acura, and I had one in my Subaru STI.

But in a daily driven truck, a manual transmission is just a chore. Especially with the Pentastar. It makes reasonable power but needs RPMs to make that power. If you have a stick, that means dropping 2 gears to merge. Something many drivers won't bother with. They'll just stand on it and accept the glacial acceleration. With an automatic, you just put your foot down and away you go.

The manual transmission actually goes better with the turbo 4, since that engine makes decent power at low RPM and wouldn't need to be downshifted as much. But you can't get a MT in the turbo 4

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Remember, those guys drive all sorts of cars, all the time, and are not Jeep guys. What we tolerate, many don't. The gladiator is a horrendous daily driver. It really is. The same can be said for any track-specced sports car with stiff suspension. It's a tradeoff we, and I, gladly make. I enjoy driving it, but then when I step into my wife's Cherokee, goodness it's like driving a cloud. I get 15 mpg with 37s and a lift so their fuel economy is oddly poor. I agree with the engine being gutless, but I don't mind. I've always felt the engine is "adequate", which it is. But it's 2021, and the pentastar's numbers are far from class-leading. In 2012 it was great. Now.... not so much.

If they got into a 2.7T Bronco with IFS, they're gonna be thrilled. It really will raise the bar for what a daily driven off-roader will be. I'm curious to see how Jeep will keep up.

MyGeekDaddy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
The only thing I agree with in the review is the steering issues. It didn’t bother me at first, but after 10K miles it’s starting to wear on my patience. I had a 2-door JK and it didn’t wander or have as much play in the steering as the JT. It was horrific on our last 8hr trip to FL. I could barely keep the MF in my lane when a stout crosswind would blow or another larger vehicle would pass us. I was getting passed all the time too. I don’t get in a hurry and run about 70. There were assholes in pickups and large SUVs running 90 past me that nearly pushed me out of my lane when they would go by. Shit was a nightmare.

Nothing else bothers me about the Gladiator.
I had the same issue, but installed the Teraflex EF 2.2 Steering Stabilzer as part my lift kit and tire upgrade. The stabilizer has 3 settings to adjust the dampening. I keep mine on 'Firm' for daily drive/highway and calmed down the wander significantly.

A little crappy I had to add something to fix an inherent issue, but it made a huge difference in higher speed handling.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-...fast-adjust-steering-stabilizer-stock-tie-rod

Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
So far veryy happy with mine @ 17000 miles. Had the steering box replaced ( Excellent Steering now) , and just had the rear pinion bearing replaced under warranty. I believe it was re-gear related. ( Mopar installed 488 gears, so no warranty issues) Dealer thought the crush sleeve failed and caused it. But who knows. Besides that the JT has been flawless.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Seems kind of odd they would chose a manual transmission mojave to be their choice for their test. Probably the least common trim combo they could come up with for their overal testing.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Do you have a Cliff's Notes version on the problems after the change? I did a quick search and didn't see anything. I've been absent from the forum for about 6mos.
From what I have gathered off of the steering box TSB thread there are a few points of aggravation that have kept me from getting the work done. In no particular order:

1. Dealing with the stealership when they want to blame your lift kit, tires, it’s a Jeep thing, etc. I know that is with any warranty work, but I loathe the idea of having to listen to them trying to weasel their way out of the work. It seems this steering fix has been met with lots of dealer pushback. Although, some members have got theirs fixed without any issues I have read.

2. I’ve read multiple accounts of shitty mechanic work where the steering pump lines aren’t bled properly leading to shitty steering. Multiple trips to the stealership to fix a single problem is not something that excites me.

3. I read one account of the aluminum box being installed to replace an aluminum box where the steel box should have been installed. Again, not a fan of the multiple trips.

I don’t know. It has the potential to be a huge headache and this is why I have avoided it. However, now that the steering is starting to aggravate me it will continue to until it’s fixed. I’m gonna have to take the plunge and hope for the best.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
From what I have gathered off of the steering box TSB thread there are a few points of aggravation that have kept me from getting the work done. In no particular order:

1. Dealing with the stealership when they want to blame your lift kit, tires, it’s a Jeep thing, etc. I know that is with any warranty work, but I loathe the idea of having to listen to them trying to weasel their way out of the work. It seems this steering fix has been met with lots of dealer pushback. Although, some members have got theirs fixed without any issues I have read.

2. I’ve read multiple accounts of shitty mechanic work where the steering pump lines aren’t bled properly leading to shitty steering. Multiple trips to the stealership to fix a single problem is not something that excites me.

3. I read one account of the aluminum box being installed to replace an aluminum box where the steel box should have been installed. Again, not a fan of the multiple trips.

I don’t know. It has the potential to be a huge headache and this is why I have avoided it. However, now that the steering is starting to aggravate me it will continue to until it’s fixed. I’m gonna have to take the plunge and hope for the best.

Ahh...gotcha. Ok - thanks. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything

I gotta tell you - I had absolutely ZERO issues with the whole process. I took mine in for the free Jeep Wave oil change at 5K miles. While I was in there, I told them that this thing wanders all over the place, and if I could get the steering box upgraded. (Full disclosure - mine is completely stock other than upgrading Rubicon take-offs wheels/tires)

They said "sure! we need to get the numbers off the old box in order to order the new one - it might be a couple of weeks"

While the Jeep was being serviced, they called and said "we can have those parts in by tomorrow - do you want to go ahead with the fix?"

I jumped on it. Drove it back home and it was a HUGE difference. My wife could even notice it

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I had the same issue, but installed the Teraflex EF 2.2 Steering Stabilzer as part my lift kit and tire upgrade. The stabilizer has 3 settings to adjust the dampening. I keep mine on 'Firm' for daily drive/highway and calmed down the wander significantly.

A little crappy I had to add something to fix an inherent issue, but it made a huge difference in higher speed handling.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-...fast-adjust-steering-stabilizer-stock-tie-rod
Having to go buy an aftermarket part to calm down the wandering because your begging them to change the box is and the dealership doesn't want to do it is not a good look. Yes the wandering should not be an issue anyone should have to deal with
Sponsored