Sponsored

Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
My Gladiator in 33s with a 3.73 is still faster than my 2018 Outback. That thing was a death trap.

"One-hundred-percent throttle is needed to merge, to climb, to pass, to get anywhere." My JTR will do over 90mph easily without hitting full throttle. I don't know what parachute they are towing around, but mine averages about 20mpg running 75mph according to my 700 mile trip to Death Valley and accelerates effortlessly. Is it fast? hell no, but it's ridiculous to assert it necessitating full throttle to merge, pass, or to generally get around.

My 2nd to last car was a 330whp 350wtq protuned WRX... after my wife got a CX5 with 180? hp I realized I hardly floor her car. So I sold it and bought a Civic Si with 200bhp and hardly ever floored it. So I'm quite happy with the penta-power and it gets better gas mileage than my Tacoma and STi did. While the WRX got 19mpg, it required premium so my 17+ is quite similar in cost.

I'd love to see this idiot drive my old 98 12v Cummins when it was stock with a 215hp pump. That thing was SLOOOOW and iirc the governor springs would defuel it right before 80mph.
Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Perhaps C and D does not really like cars? Hear me out...

WE are enthusiasts on a vehicle specific forum.

WE are the oddballs.

Most want automated coffins. Most want the nanny state and the lack of visceral experience.

WE enjoy driving for the sake of driving. Look at the people on here. Most have a pretty impressive list of "drivers cars." WE give up certain expectations for what we enjoy. Anyone own an Alpha? I got Audis. Pain in the ass to maintain, but oh what a drive. It's literally like the crazy partner you had that you could not ditch because the sex was too good. You knew she was bad news, but so much fun.

I wheeled for 8 hours on Saturday with people I hardly knew. I now call them friends. I watched a new gladiator owner trust a man he never met act as a spotter.

C and D caters to those that just want to go from A to B, but want to pretend they like cars.

Bullycon

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Occupation
K9
C&D love miatas and 3 series bimmers. I’ve owned 11 wranglers 3.8,3.6 engines and all I can say the only issue I ever had was in 2013 I bought a 2012 and the lifters went out early on, replaced by factory.
never again unless going off-road and braking something due to my “own-fault” have had any issues.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Who doesn't love the miata or the 3 series?

Look at the comments. One guy called the Chevy Colorado "more capable" and also compared the Raptor to the Gladiator.

C&D love miatas and 3 series bimmers. I’ve owned 11 wranglers 3.8,3.6 engines and all I can say the only issue I ever had was in 2013 I bought a 2012 and the lifters went out early on, replaced by factory.
never again unless going off-road and braking something due to my “own-fault” have had any issues.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
I don’t understand why anyone would buy a manual transmission Gladiator. It is their weakest link. Until FCA finds a better manual transmission, their bullet proof 8 speed automatic is the only way to go. It is so easy to use it as a manual without the clutch for any off-roading.
When we bought our MT, we didn't know it was a weak spot.

To be honest, I needed 2 things, pickup and Manual Transmission. Without both of those, there would be no Gladiator in my driveway.

Sponsored

Deleted member 39643

Who doesn't love the miata or the 3 series?

Look at the comments. One guy called the Chevy Colorado "more capable" and also compared the Raptor to the Gladiator.
Price wise they are comparable. I got my Gladiator for ~33k, and it was the cheapest truck with a manual for that price, but at 60k.... Raptor looks plenty nice. Also they said it had charm, just the specifics are bad in a lot a ways, but you got to know that going in.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
My Gladiator in 33s with a 3.73 is still faster than my 2018 Outback. That thing was a death trap.
My 3.6L Outback would run circles around these, but then again, they didn't have a double overdrive in that
A couple of things struck me in this review:

this section: "Once our truck completed Jeep's short 300-mile break-in period, a brutal high-rpm clutch drop in 4HI launched it to 60 mph in a lazy 8.5 seconds"

and this one: "On level ground and with the manual in sixth gear, the Mojave required a staggering 24.3 seconds to complete the 30-to-50-mph and 50-to-70-mph passing tests."

I'm shocked that the transmission even lasted to 7000 miles after that, they should probably only allow those that know how to drive stick shift and understand automobiles drive their test vehicles.

the top gear 30-50mph and 50-70mph passing is also insane, not sure why that would even be a metric when some vehicles (like the jeep) have double overdrives making top gear unusable below 50 or 60mph
Ok, the way these are geared what are they doing in 6th gear at 30MPH, that is a 1K RPM, you stand no chance to accelerate.

Hell even at 50MPH you are still at 1K RPM in 6th.

These dumbasses don't even know how to drive a manual. They are just out there destroying the vehicle and because it is C&D Jeep just gave them a new transmission. they abused that far beyond anything that should have been covered under warranty.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I’ve got it... who gives a rats ass about these stupid reviews.

Look, I get rowing the gears with the gladiator in any trim would be sweet. Telling any of you that you should have gone with the automatic is the wrong response and I said that earlier.... but I’ve had time to think about it an I apologize for saying it.

JEEP/Fiat owes y’all a fix for the manual right now! There are so many manual transmissions and clutches that are stronger than whatever they are using. This makes no sense to me for Jeep to offer a manual then screw it up!

I love manuals and it sucks that if you want one in a gladiator you can’t have a decent one. If it’s the clutch they should put the finest aftermarket one in for each of you with no charge! Hell Jeep could probably partner with any aftermarket clutch manufacturer and work a deal with them. Centerforce does manual only Jeep group rides!! Come on Jeep/Fiat!!

I digress

Back to these C&D, Motor-trend poets and the like. I would be willing to bet that even the snottiest of them secretly covet the Gladiator.

Picture this;

Warm perfect Summer night, top down doors off, the perfect music, the perfect lift, the perfect color, the perfect wheel and tire combo, just whatever your dream is for the perfect gladiator... picture it rolling by one of these irrelevant, arrogant ignorant arses.

I bet the stare from them, as that perfect Gladiator cruised by on that beautiful Summer night, would be a longing and lasting memory for them.

Deep down they probably all wish they could own one... but they are probably too afraid the editors or other journalists would give them crap. I personally think it would suck to live like that!

There are no perfect vehicles, not even a Camry. The give and take is what you decide when you purchase a vehicle and there is so much the gladiator gives!

THERE ISN'T ANOTHER MASS PRODUCED VEHICLE ON THE PLANET LIKE THE GLADIATOR! (Thanks again Jeep!)

I’ll throw a picture on here of my perfect Jeep Gladiator. Ok, three pictures!! Yes Rebel and JCR Gladiators are my picture of Gladiator perfection. Oh, and because I’ve been over the Mackinac Bridge many times in my life, I had to add two more from JCR

Jeep Gladiator Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative B602C886-AB09-452C-8894-9FB408C58B65

Jeep Gladiator Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative 39645B28-86FF-4EAB-A717-A9145DBDC0D2

Jeep Gladiator Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative 46589ECC-279E-41A8-93A2-AAF75928C762

Jeep Gladiator Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative CF032D70-BFFA-4435-9AD0-6D435AEDA400

Jeep Gladiator Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative FB2C3C85-4CD5-4928-AB55-C48AF0F62B2D

Last edited:

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I won't shit on a Raptor. They are DOPE. Til we get the Hennessy Mojave.
But apples and oranges. I would love to blast over fire roads in a Raptor or Desert race....
Half the trails I wheel on out here would be a VERY tight squeeze in a Raptor.

Price wise they are comparable. I got my Gladiator for ~33k, and it was the cheapest truck with a manual for that price, but at 60k.... Raptor looks plenty nice. Also they said it had charm, just the specifics are bad in a lot a ways, but you got to know that going in.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Aren’t these the same guys who couldn’t drive a stick off road when the jlur was first debuted? The mag tittle says it all CAR and 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
These guys are biased. They love the bmw. But I didn’t care fit it at all But I bet they would love a ridge line nothing of value in that read. They even admitted they chose the wrong packaging They probably didn’t sell enough add to Jeep.

Sponsored

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired

To be honest, I needed 2 things, pickup and Manual Transmission. Without both of those, there would be no Gladiator in my driveway.

if you purchased very early, I understand. This forum and others have identified this serious flaw to more recent buyers.

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
Time will tell on reliability I only have 2700 miles. BUT I am going to call BS on their acceleration claims. 22 Seconds really? I am pretty sure a stock 1970 VW Beetle would have those times. I don't own a manual transmission, I have the auto and while I wouldn't say the JT is a rocket ship it definitely has no problem accelerating . I don't have time slips but I spent 4 years in the current generation Tacoma and from a dead stop up to about 50 mph I feel like the JT would mop the Tacoma.
Now once the 3.5 Tacoma spools up at about 45-50 mph I think it will walk away from the Jeep but they are off-road trucks meaning I want that down low torque I can care less If it runs like a sports car on top end.
Looking on the net It shows the Jeep Gladiator running a 16.1 second quarter mile. Just a history lesson from an old guy, I don't feel old but guess I am. In high school I had a 67 Camaro with a SBC 292 cam 202 heads, 10.5 compression a 2800 RPM stall and I would run low 13's.
I had a friend with a lifted Chevrolet truck SBC engine one size smaller cam a 280 lifted with 33 in tires and he ran 16.00 flat in quarter which was pretty dam fast for a big lifted half ton and it felt fast riding in it.
We would go to a "Beat the Heat" where local cops would get on track with Crown Vics turn on lights and race the quarter mile their Vics were about same speed as my friends lifted Chevy. Point I am trying to make no the JT isn't fast but with the auto it really isn't lacking for every day driving.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
This is what happens when you give C&D a long term test vehicle and there isnt a difflebag full of cash in the back when they pick it up. If it was quiet theyd complain “jeep has lost their way”. If it had a 5.7, theyd complain it wasnt the 6.4. If it had the 6.4, theyd complain the TC was too intrusive. If the TC was calibrated right, theyd complain the rear end doesnt hook up for a drag launch which affected their acceleration testing.

when someone complains about the power of the gladiator, but doesnt say a word about it on the tacoma, i discredit absolutely everything they have to say.

C&D amounts to nothing more than color print shit paper.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
Time will tell on reliability I only have 2700 miles. BUT I am going to call BS on their acceleration claims. 22 Seconds really? I am pretty sure a stock 1970 VW Beetle would have those times. I don't own a manual transmission, I have the auto and while I wouldn't say the JT is a rocket ship it definitely has no problem accelerating . I don't have time slips but I spent 4 years in the current generation Tacoma and from a dead stop up to about 50 mph I feel like the JT would mop the Tacoma.
Now once the 3.5 Tacoma spools up at about 45-50 mph I think it will walk away from the Jeep but they are off-road trucks meaning I want that down low torque I can care less If it runs like a sports car on top end.
Looking on the net It shows the Jeep Gladiator running a 16.1 second quarter mile. Just a history lesson from an old guy, I don't feel old but guess I am. In high school I had a 67 Camaro with a SBC 292 cam 202 heads, 10.5 compression a 2800 RPM stall and I would run low 13's.
I had a friend with a lifted Chevrolet truck SBC engine one size smaller cam a 280 lifted with 33 in tires and he ran 16.00 flat in quarter which was pretty dam fast for a big lifted half ton and it felt fast riding in it.
We would go to a "Beat the Heat" where local cops would get on track with Crown Vics turn on lights and race the quarter mile their Vics were about same speed as my friends lifted Chevy. Point I am trying to make no the JT isn't fast but with the auto it really isn't lacking for every day driving.
No those times are true.

If you leave the vehicle in 6th gear and slow all the way down to 50 and then try to accelerate, forget it. It basically won't. You must drop down into 3rd or 4th gear to speed back up.

This vehicle has no business in 6th gear at 30MPH. The gearing is way to high. That test is absolutely stupid.

To be honest, if I drop below 65 and have a need to accelerate I have found I need to downshift. Period! Anything below 2100 RPM and you aren't passing anytime soon.
Sponsored