Sponsored

Cb antenna location radio interface?

21hydrobluerubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT
So I’m getting ready to install a cb.
I’m going to fab up a mount like this cooltech one. I like the idea of putting the antenna on the passenger side like in the photo.
so my question is, is this a bad location? Will the output from the cb harm the radio being so close to the radio antenna?
Jeep Gladiator Cb antenna location radio interface? 9279173F-DC6F-4F21-938A-953A3632BB9C
Sponsored

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
Jeep Gladiator Cb antenna location radio interface? 20220324_172732

Mine

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
@Radio Guy is the expert, but I had much better luck moving the antenna one bolt forward on the cowl, nearer to the hood. I am using GMRS, but I think the basic idea is the same: get it a little more "open" and with a mildly better ground plane. The cowl is plastic so it does nothing for ground plane. Moving forward allows some of the hood to help out...

Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
@Radio Guy is the expert, but I had much better luck moving the antenna one bolt forward on the cowl, nearer to the hood. I am using GMRS, but I think the basic idea is the same: get it a little more "open" and with a mildly better ground plane. The cowl is plastic so it does nothing for ground plane. Moving forward allows some of the hood to help out...
Mounting location depends on if the antenna will match and how much range you need. If the antenna matches ok and your not trying to talk 30mi down the road then its all good. I have repeaters that can be 75mi or more away and need all the range I can get.

In one of these threads I had pictures of how I coated the underside of the plastic cowl pieces with wide aluminum tape that ground to the mounting bolts. That extends the ground plane around the cowl area and is adequate for UHF or GMRS.

OP
OP
21hydrobluerubi

21hydrobluerubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT
Will having the cb antenna that close, or even moving it a bolt forward cause any interference with the jeep radio when the cb transmits.
it’s just a small cobra unit.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
I decided to mount a ham radio in the truck. I was trying to figure out where the best place to mount it was. I opted for in the back of the truck but wanted to keep it closer to the cab. So, I mounted it on the front of the bed. The Tonneau cover [not pictured] fits over the mounting (with a slight mod to the front of the cover) Here is a picture of the mounting..... Granted, this isn't a CB antenna, but the mounting could be the same (although the antenna does work the CB band of frequencies).

20220120_123638.jpg
Sponsored