Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Architect
Well, I was hoping my next post would be about how awesome my mods were going, but not the case.

I had some mods done to my JT about a month ago. Evo 2.5, Nitto 38s, Black Rhino 20's, BAK Tonneau and CBI Rock Rails. Had everything installed by a great local shop here in Denver. Drove home and a day later the rails (I think) started making a bending metal crunching noise. This noise, primarily happens when accelerating and the when the Jeep racks (at least that's waht it feels like). Now, another three weeks since that noise and the passenger side is starting to make the same noise.

Shop has looked at it and re-torqued everything. Called CBI, sent pictures, they said it was ok too... So, now I'm dealing with it. Will likely have the shop pull them off and re-install to see if anythign sticks out. If not, I guess I fight with the company to see if they will return.

Sucks, because I really like the way they look. Clean line, really tucks up under for extra ground clearance.
Anyone else had any experience with these?
Jeep Gladiator CBI Rock Rails (Issue) 20220414_110658
Sponsored

OffroadAlliance.com

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
I've never heard of this issue happening before. There shouldn't be any bending or moving happening from your sliders since they're bolted into the frame unless your frame is moving somehow. Could you possibly take a video somehow of the issue happening? That might help better determine what could be the problem.

OP
OP
rdubb1031

rdubb1031

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Architect
The funny thing about the noise, you can only really hear it inside the Jeep. outside it is non-existent (very faint). I had a lift installed with the rails, but I still feel it's the rails. It could be the control arms, maybe some bushings.. but I'd think I'd hear that outside too..
Let me find the video and I'll post it..

OP
OP
rdubb1031

rdubb1031

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Architect

OP
OP
rdubb1031

rdubb1031

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Architect
Here are the videos.. Both of these are from a complete stop. As I accelerate you can hear, what sounds like metal popping. I'm now also starting to get it on my passenger side, but more so when I slow down..

Sponsored

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Thats what I sound like when I get out of bed in the morning. You saying that there is sometnhing wrong with me?

OP
OP
rdubb1031

rdubb1031

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Architect
Thats what I sound like when I get out of bed in the morning. You saying that there is sometnhing wrong with me?
Depends where the noise is coming from....

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Because you're getting it from both sides, I'm more inclined to believe it is where your upper control arms mount to the frame. I have a similar popping noise and I don't have CBI rails.

I'd take the rails off, drive it for a few days and see if the noise persists.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The funny thing about the noise, you can only really hear it inside the Jeep. outside it is non-existent (very faint). I had a lift installed with the rails, but I still feel it's the rails. It could be the control arms, maybe some bushings.. but I'd think I'd hear that outside too..
Let me find the video and I'll post it..
You "feel" its the rails. You need to confirm so you KNOW its the rails before you go any further. Either take the rails off or have the shop do it.

Rails are stupid simple devices. If something was going to make noise, I would bet on the lift or even toneau before the rails.

OP
OP
rdubb1031

rdubb1031

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Architect
Update.. took the Glad back to the shop. They tinkered with the rails, still had noise so they finally just pulled them off...noise is gone. Called CBI and they've never ran into this so they are "talking with their engineers". Little frustrated right now but really the next steps will tell how it goes with CBI. WISH ME LUCK.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Maybe look into Metalcloak sliders. I absolutely love them. Steps can come on/off/be straight or angled down.

No noise at all for me. But if you like the CBI's too much then all good. Wondering if there is something internally in the sliders that is wiggling around, almost like a loose socket rolling around in it.

OP
OP
rdubb1031

rdubb1031

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Architect
Maybe look into Metalcloak sliders. I absolutely love them. Steps can come on/off/be straight or angled down.

No noise at all for me. But if you like the CBI's too much then all good. Wondering if there is something internally in the sliders that is wiggling around, almost like a loose socket rolling around in it.
It's sounds more like the steel is bending/ warping when the vehicle accelerates. It honestly should just be an adjustment but neither side can figure out what exactly.

I'll look at the steps. I honestly really liked the lines and how high the CBI tuck up. I also liked the way they covered the bottom of the fenders. It helped keep Mudd and debris from shooting up the side of the Jeep.

OP
OP
rdubb1031

rdubb1031

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Architect
Sounds like spring noise to me. Can't possibly see how it would be the rails.
Nope. It's the rails. Pulled them off and the noise is gone. Just seeing if there is a defect, fix or something else now. If not will likely return and find something else.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Nope. It's the rails. Pulled them off and the noise is gone. Just seeing if there is a defect, fix or something else now. If not will likely return and find something else.
Are there any obvious scraping points anywhere?
Sponsored