First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Is it best to do this with the Jeep off the ground or does that not matter?
The best way to do this is to disconnect the trackbar (either end but axle might be easier).

Set the Jeep on the ground, grab the bumper and shake the bejesus out of the whole front end. This forces the Jeep to settle where it naturally wants to sit. Then adjust the track bar to the right length and reconnect.
Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I don’t have a lift, my thoughts were to set the axle on jack stands to make it easier to move… but I could be wrong lol.
Don’t do it like this. Read my post above.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I always get a big 3in wide ratchet strap. Hook it to the frame on the drivers side. Then hook it around the axle C. Pull it to where you want and make the track bar fit.
I just turn the steering wheel to shift the body where I want it. Slide the bolt in. Straighten wheel. Measure. Repeat if necessary.

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon, 2022 Ram 3500 6.7L
Occupation
Sheet metal
I just turn the steering wheel to shift the body where I want it. Slide the bolt in. Straighten wheel. Measure. Repeat if necessary.
Takes 2 people

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I don’t have a lift, my thoughts were to set the axle on jack stands to make it easier to move… but I could be wrong lol.
Move the body, not the axle, its just easier.

This is the way. Unscrew the trackbar, make the 3/8ish adjustment, then have someone turn the steering wheel to get the body to line up the bolt. You'll be within 1/16th at worst an 1/8th of an inch I bet and it wont take but 30 minutes.

Sponsored

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sheet metal
It will work just fine axles on stands tires of. Just turn the wheels straight, measure with a straight edge off the rotor. Make sure it's the same point off the frame and good to go.

OP
OP
Rvansickle

Rvansickle

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JT
Move the body, not the axle, its just easier.

This is the way. Unscrew the trackbar, make the 3/8ish adjustment, then have someone turn the steering wheel to get the body to line up the bolt. You'll be within 1/16th at worst an 1/8th of an inch I bet and it wont take but 30 minutes.
This is what I’m going to do, thank you for the info!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Finally someone caught that - when you adjust the track bar, it's not sliding the axle across the concrete, it's shifting the body over, and that happens extremely easily. On the ground. And always torque suspension and steering components in their natural positions - truck with all 4 feet planted on the ground (weight of truck on the springs, not hanging in the air)

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Takes 2 people
Ideally yes, but I have done it alone. You just have to guess a little and it can take a few tries going back and forth turning the wheel, adjusting the track bar, and sliding the bolt through the hole.

But might be just as easy to use a strap if you're alone.

This is one of those jobs that is so much easier with a helper. The helper can also just push on the body to help line things up.

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sheet metal
Ideally yes, but I have done it alone. You just have to guess a little and it can take a few tries going back and forth turning the wheel, adjusting the track bar, and sliding the bolt through the hole.

This is one of those jobs that is so much easier with a helper. The helper can also just push on the body to help line things up.

It's easy to just turn the wheel to reconnect and probably faster. Using a strap will hold it in place and let you adjust the end link. You can get it so the bolt lines up perfectly and you don't fight anything.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Not that difficult with one person, doesn't "take two". Heck, I can lay under the Jeep and shove things over where I need them to be using my legs while holding the axle. When I put Synergy springs under mine, I had the track bar and other things disconnected for ease of install and it was no big deal at all to shove things into alignment. (I was doing the opposite to mine - uncentering the axle with the springs)

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Not that difficult with one person, doesn't "take two". Heck, I can lay under the Jeep and shove things over where I need them to be using my legs while holding the axle. When I put Synergy springs under mine, I had the track bar and other things disconnected for ease of install and it was no big deal at all to shove things into alignment. (I was doing the opposite to mine - uncentering the axle with the springs)
Dickster is who said it takes 2 people.

I haven't used a strap to line up a track bar since the first time I did this job 25-30 years ago.

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sheet metal
I do the same if I am just disconnecting and reconnecting. Steering wheel method on my ram 3500 it's a touch heavy. Adjusting using a strap makes it simple.
Sponsored