Check engine light

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Posting here as I am not really sure what or why I am having the check engine light. I have the tazer mini and have had it for a couple months. First setting done was for larger tires, no problems. 2nd was for 4.88 gears, again no problems.
I had in the meantime installed a Curt Spectrum brake controller and yesterday I finally hooked up the trailer to see how it all looked and if the brake controller worked, which it all did.
Now after I unhooked the trailer, the truck was sitting on an incline when I started it and shifted out of park it made a pretty good pop and a little growl. As it does when shifting out of park on an incline and everything under a load. Just seemed a bit more violent.
Check engine light came on steady not flashing. Used the tazer to read dtc's and there are zero. I went ahead and used the clear dtc's and it went off. Drove and acted fine rest of the day. Parked it overnight and went to start it this morning and check engine light on again. This time when I tried to shift into reverse it flashed something about unable to engage drive go back to "P" and try again. Did that a couple of times. Finally pulled it all the way to drive and then back to park and then it worked, still check engine light.
I messed with the tazer after work. Unmarried it remarried it and nothing gets rid of the engine light. I finally cleared it again and now it is off.
Is this one that needs to go into the shop and if so do I need to unplug the tazer and plug the leads back into the security box they were removed from so they can hook up to it if the light comes back on?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Posting here as I am not really sure what or why I am having the check engine light. I have the tazer mini and have had it for a couple months. First setting done was for larger tires, no problems. 2nd was for 4.88 gears, again no problems.
I had in the meantime installed a Curt Spectrum brake controller and yesterday I finally hooked up the trailer to see how it all looked and if the brake controller worked, which it all did.
Now after I unhooked the trailer, the truck was sitting on an incline when I started it and shifted out of park it made a pretty good pop and a little growl. As it does when shifting out of park on an incline and everything under a load. Just seemed a bit more violent.
Check engine light came on steady not flashing. Used the tazer to read dtc's and there are zero. I went ahead and used the clear dtc's and it went off. Drove and acted fine rest of the day. Parked it overnight and went to start it this morning and check engine light on again. This time when I tried to shift into reverse it flashed something about unable to engage drive go back to "P" and try again. Did that a couple of times. Finally pulled it all the way to drive and then back to park and then it worked, still check engine light.
I messed with the tazer after work. Unmarried it remarried it and nothing gets rid of the engine light. I finally cleared it again and now it is off.
Is this one that needs to go into the shop and if so do I need to unplug the tazer and plug the leads back into the security box they were removed from so they can hook up to it if the light comes back on?
Did you use the Gladiator specific harness from Curt to connect the brake controller to the factory wiring?

It varies with each dealer. I would unmarry the Tazer and remove it before taking it in for a troubleshooting session.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Yes, wire harness was for the Gladiator.
But do the plugs need to be put back into the original controller they came out of? They are such a pain to get out from there original location.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, wire harness was for the Gladiator.
But do the plugs need to be put back into the original controller they came out of? They are such a pain to get out from there original location.
If you remove it, the cables need to be connected back to their original locations.

Try disconnecting the brake controller harness from the factory plug and see if the problem goes away. It may need a firmware update from Curt, or to be replaced.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I did not disconnect the brake controller yet. I did get the check engine light and took it into the dealer of course it popped with the obvious speed sensors and tpms and all because of no gear or tire correction and they said I need to get it reflashed to correct those issues and there was some kind of charge for service contract of warranty because of the add ons.
They gave me the print out and I noticed when I got home that it had a P0746 which is a pressure control solenoid "A" performance stuck off. Looked it up and it is for the transmission and can be caused by obstruction, loose wire or bad unit.
Of course I know they will not even look at that until the rest is corrected by them, so I am kind of in a spot. I have the tazer which corrects all the other issues but can not have that in to have them look at the P code and use warranty. So guess I will need to get it flashed then proceed from there.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I did not disconnect the brake controller yet. I did get the check engine light and took it into the dealer of course it popped with the obvious speed sensors and tpms and all because of no gear or tire correction and they said I need to get it reflashed to correct those issues and there was some kind of charge for service contract of warranty because of the add ons.
They gave me the print out and I noticed when I got home that it had a P0746 which is a pressure control solenoid "A" performance stuck off. Looked it up and it is for the transmission and can be caused by obstruction, loose wire or bad unit.
Of course I know they will not even look at that until the rest is corrected by them, so I am kind of in a spot. I have the tazer which corrects all the other issues but can not have that in to have them look at the P code and use warranty. So guess I will need to get it flashed then proceed from there.
Hi there, we regret to hear this. Please send our team a private message for additional support while working with your dealer.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored