Check Your Insurance Coverage

Jesnamy01

First Name
Jesse and Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2022 Gladiator Sport S
Old but very interesting thread. Lots of good advice here but no companies mentioned for who to go with. We don’t qualify for USAA.
Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of good info in this thread. I will add that I personally don’t care for the companies that want you to use the “safe driver discount “ tracker modules. The “try it for a while and we will tell you how much money we might save you” scheme really bugs me. They collect your driving data and who’s to say it won’t be used against you later, even if you never sign with that company. You may be the other guy involved in a future incident with one of their customers.

Sad to know the insurance game is adding data privacy concerns to its complexities that already are too much for the average consumer to grasp.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Be careful with USAA. With them for 30 years of banking and insurance. They recently f’ed up my banking. Totally their fault. Would not correct and literally did nothing.

USAA has become a huge money making company and they could care less about military folks. A very large portion of their clients were never military, just related family or govt workers.

Moved my banking locally and went to Farm Bureau for cheaper and better vehicle insurance. Never would consider going back to USAA. They did not care about my membership length and did NOTHING to help.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Completely agree on USAA. Been a member since 1988. Had investments, mortgage banking and car insurance with them. They were my primary bank. Too many mess ups over the years. Their investments dept was sold off last year. Been done with them after that complete mess transferred a 7 figure balance to another company and took 4 months to figure out where my money was. since 2010 it really went down hill. Still a member but zero business with them

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Completely agree on USAA. Been a member since 1988. Had investments, mortgage banking and car insurance with them. They were my primary bank. Too many mess ups over the years. Their investments dept was sold off last year. Been done with them after that complete mess transferred a 7 figure balance to another company and took 4 months to figure out where my money was. since 2010 it really went down hill. Still a member but zero business with them
I think it went south when it opened up to enlisted. Just became too big too fast

Sponsored

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
Sounds like your Javelin policy is actually "Agreed Value" and not "Stated Value". With Stated value, the insurance company gives you whatever they like should the car get totaled. My 1970 Mach 1 is insured with Hagerty and it most definitely an Agreed Value policy.
This is a great point that one should be careful about when insuring a classic or valuable automobile. There are no guarantees that the insurance company will pay the stated value in the insurance policy. Agreed or guaranteed value is definitely the way to go if you don't mind paying
the increased cost of the premium. My Sunbeam Tiger has an agreed value policy through Hagerty also. That being said I've never had a claim with Hagerty so I can't speak for how this would all pan out in the end.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
This is a great point that one should be careful about when insuring a classic or valuable automobile. There are no guarantees that the insurance company will pay the stated value in the insurance policy. Agreed or guaranteed value is definitely the way to go if you don't mind paying
the increased cost of the premium. My Sunbeam Tiger has an agreed value policy through Hagerty also. That being said I've never had a claim with Hagerty so I can't speak for how this would all pan out in the end.
35 years driving the only claim i ever made was windshields. Fl I-4 is responsible for 11 windshield claims in 35 years. Only trouble i had was a TR-6. USAA fought me on a good replacement. First 3 were so wavey they would make me sick if i let them pass. Took 6 months finally got a shield shipped from the UK. (On my dime) that ended USAA insurance for me

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
The part I love is where you have to accept after-market replacements these days - instead of genuine replacement parts - fenders, hoods, grills and other stuff that is often thinner gauge, cheaper made, not the same quality.
I hope it never comes, but if someone smacks my Javelin or Eagle - LOL - good luck with that! NO SUCH THING as after-market parts and a new fender may cost 'em 2 grand IF they can even find one. Quarter panel for a Javelin - doesn't exist. For an SX4 - I have a pair but they aren't getting those to use - they'll have to go find new ones if they can and buy 'em for me. There are zero rust-free Eagle parts out there. And it's about the same for the Javelin now - good luck with that.

Ticks me off that someone can trash your vehicle and their company will only make it look ok - they won't pay to make it like it used to be with the correct genuine replacement parts. Our legal system used to be founded on the principal that you put back all that you took or damaged to the point that it was like before you became involved. That's how it was founded 200+ years ago here. You cost someone a $500 watch - you get things back to where they were - you don't replace their watch with a $400 watch that looks the same.
Actually LKQ ( like kind quality ) has been going on for over 20 years that I have been aware of. And like in another thread on extended warranties it is written in those also for bone yard parts, used parts and of course after market parts. Unfortunately this is nothing new. And I agree with you it is wrong.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Actually LKQ ( like kind quality ) has been going on for over 20 years that I have been aware of. And like in another thread on extended warranties it is written in those also for bone yard parts, used parts and of course after market parts. Unfortunately this is nothing new. And I agree with you it is wrong.
It's been going on for at least since the 90s, but back then many policies had it written where it wasn't "take it or leave it". I worked with my company way back and compared prices and agreed to pay a slight difference to get the OEM fender.
As a person who still repairs and restores, there can be huge differences in quality, the gauge of the metal and more. Usually they will fit - but not always without some extra work.
My neighbor keeps his trucks forever - well, for many years, and I've worked with him many times try to get replacement parts to fit, differences in hole locations, missing holes, slots not large enough and more. Ironically, in one case the replacement was actually a better fit and allowed better clearance for his hood hinge compared to the OEM part.
And then there's the thing that not all OEM body parts are "first line" parts. We've proven over the years that in many cases, that quarter panel or fender you buy as a replacement came off the line as there was some difficulty getting it to fit in 30 seconds, so it was pulled off, tagged and sold as a replacement or collision part. I still have light housings, grills and other parts that are going to be tricky to use. In one case, a grill will have to be repainted to make it right. Their masking was off quite a bit and the colors shifted.