Chip shortage myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I was recently looking at f150’s, 4runners, tundra’s, and the JT’s.

every salesperson has been trained to tell the “chip shortage” story.

be aware, not every vehicle made uses the chips that are in short supply.

see below and tell the sales people to prove it. No gladiator in the top 10 list.
Jeep Gladiator Chip shortage myth? 3BE6B30E-7069-4686-846D-ED34BE1AD4EF
Sponsored

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
FUD.

All new vehicles are impacted. The article you're reading clearly says these are the most impacted. All ECUs use the same microchips - these are modern cars we're talking about.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
If the vehicles affected are in short supply, that will increase demand on other vehicles. Also, that list is just the top 10 most affected. The volume of Gladiators sold would be too low to make the top 10, even if it is impacted.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
"Myth"?? Yeh, right.
I'm sure all these auto manufacturers are shutting down their production lines for their health.🙄...Yep, that makes sense!

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Sure, tell the "car salesman" to "prove it".

I can see this being an extremely effective excercise.

First, find a car salesman who actually understands anything beyond sales quotas and the best local beef joint that delivers.

Secondly, find one that gives one rats a$$ about your request.

Yep, hey salesman, prove it. Sure. Ill tell you what, you do that, record it on your 12 megapixel superphone and post it back here for forum entertainment.

Be sure to include the part where they throw you out.

Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Ford F series. Ford executive meeting: “Hey lets park 110,000 trucks and tell everyone we don’t have chips.
This should be good for business because we can discount them 30% when the new model comes out”.

Meanwhile those of us that wear ball caps see that there are 6 new semi-conductor plants either under construction or planned for on US soil.

Critical thinking, digital, would negate this post. Either that or lay off the weed for awhile. C:

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
One explanation was that most manufacturers use just in time manufacturing whereas Jeep does not. Even with a surplus of chips, they will eventually run short if supply does not pick back up.

tcracing

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JTR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Sales
Well there is a shortage of the chips for the remote- proximity keyless entry. If you try to buy the handles- Mopar says 6 months until receiving

Sponsored

GCoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave ( ̶O̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶)
Well there is a shortage of the chips for the remote- proximity keyless entry. If you try to buy the handles- Mopar says 6 months until receiving
Thankfully those handles made it onto my build this week. Guessing new production units get first dibs. I also had a D1 - D regress that held me up for a few weeks so I wonder if that was why. I also got the advanced safety group as well and some had speculated that option was impacted too.

tcracing

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JTR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Sales
Thankfully those handles made it onto my build this week. Guessing new production units get first dibs. I also had a D1 - D regress that held me up for a few weeks so I wonder if that was why. I also got the advanced safety group as well and some had speculated that option was impacted too.
Maybe... I didn't add that as I was told they had a shortage of the handles. I'm going to add after the fact. We will see how long that takes to get back in stock?

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Meanwhile those of us that wear ball caps see that there are 6 new semi-conductor plants either under construction or planned for on US soil.
And those plants were started pre-pandemic but construction was halted thus delaying the ability to produce the chips in the quantities needed. Sure, they have probably switched some manufacturing capacity at other plants to the new chips, but it is not sufficient. Some of these plants that were delayed are also in Asia. When the pandemic halts construction for 8 months then the new plants are now 8 months behind schedule.

The shortage of capacity is also impacting PC components. Many are in short supply.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was recently looking at f150’s, 4runners, tundra’s, and the JT’s.

every salesperson has been trained to tell the “chip shortage” story.

be aware, not every vehicle made uses the chips that are in short supply.

see below and tell the sales people to prove it. No gladiator in the top 10 list.
3BE6B30E-7069-4686-846D-ED34BE1AD4EF.jpeg
They left off Grand Cherokee. That was one of the vehicles listed when I first read of this.

So apparently Jeep doesn't sell enough to make that list.

Remember, that's the top 10 by volume, not the list of vehicles affected. All are affected.

go0001

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland Sting Gray
Occupation
Technology
"Myth"?? Yeh, right.
I'm sure all these auto manufacturers are shutting down their production lines for their health.🙄...Yep, that makes sense!
It’s the same with ordering say audio equipment - I’m at 3-4 weeks wait time for the amp I’m buying for my gf’s living room. Similar conversations with car audio places for the head unit I’m trying to get into my 14 yr old Bimmer (finally decided I needed CarPlay to replace that 3 lines of orange text in the OEM unit …).
And it’s not just electronics - even my local bicycle shop is supply constrained on a lot of models - some cruiser bikes he was looking up for me were showing May 2022 delivery dates.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.