James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom Edition
Occupation
Aviation Technician
Vehicle Showcase
So, I took my 2020 6 speed Sport Gladiator out for its first trail adventure. Nothing difficult, Forestry Trails in a National Forest. About half a mile into one narrow trail I hit a dead end. Had to make a 6 point turn to turn around and during this maneuver I got a Clutch Hot warning. This wasn't difficult terrain. Just a carved trail in a National Forest. Could have done it in 2-wheel drive. I've owned 6 Vehicles with a manual transmission, one a '14 Tacoma that I've taken though much harder terrain, gotten stuck several times, and never had an issue. Had to sit for about 10 min for the warning to go away. For those thinking about it, this manual gearbox is complete crap. I found out it's for the Wrangler, and I don't think it can handle the extra weight or dimensions of the Gladiator. It already has an overheat recall, I wouldn't recommend it. I'll be trading up to an automatic very soon.
Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
That sucks. I had to get used to reverse in mine when I first got it. Reverse is a pita on anything other than a flat surface, I’ve found, especially out on the trails around me, but I haven’t got that overheat message. I’ll keep my eye out for it in the future. Thanks for sharing. Hope you get it resolved one way or another.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
So, I took my 2020 6 speed Sport Gladiator out for its first trail adventure. Nothing difficult, Forestry Trails in a National Forest. About half a mile into one narrow trail I hit a dead end. Had to make a 6 point turn to turn around and during this maneuver I got a Clutch Hot warning. This wasn't difficult terrain. Just a carved trail in a National Forest. Could have done it in 2-wheel drive. I've owned 6 Vehicles with a manual transmission, one a '14 Tacoma that I've taken though much harder terrain, gotten stuck several times, and never had an issue. Had to sit for about 10 min for the warning to go away. For those thinking about it, this manual gearbox is complete crap. I found out it's for the Wrangler, and I don't think it can handle the extra weight or dimensions of the Gladiator. It already has an overheat recall, I wouldn't recommend it. I'll be trading up to an automatic very soon.
Upgrade to the diesel while you are at it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Not sure if you were going uphill or not, but try using 4 low for the low speed stuff. This is especially for reverse, since it's so tall. But even on flat land, for low speed maneuvers, forwards or backwards, off-road, use 4 low. Then it will require no throttle input, and no stress on the clutch. The truck will just move once you release the clutch, without having to slip it, and without the gas pedal.

If you really hate the clutch though, put an order in for the centerforce, and keep the truck. The weak spot is the soft clutch, not the transmission. If/when mine goes, I'll get a centerforce or a south bend. Hopefully that's a long time from now.

I have yet to see the overheat warning. I know it exists, but haven't seen it, on trails or on the road. 4 low is a godsend on the MTs. Use it, and you'll have a different experience. In low you can start in 1st or 2nd, depending on the terrain or slope. Another benefit is that if you do stall in low range, you don't have to press the clutch to restart.

The Wrangler has the same overheat recall though, so it has nothing to do with being a gladiator

@Bbannongmu has rave reviews on the cf clutch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30519

Did you get the latest clutch software update recall done before this problem occured? I'm just cust curious because I've been holding off on getting mine done. Thanks

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get the latest clutch software update recall done before this problem occured? I'm just cust curious because I've been holding off on getting mine done. Thanks
Go ahead and get it done. There is no reason not to. It just adds some safety parameters to keep you from burning things. Parameters which you'll more than likely never even run into. If you do, you'll be glad you did, because the overheat warning is better than actually burning the thing up. Mine came new with the recall already done. It has plenty of on and offroad miles on it at this point. Nary an issue. Never seen the warning before. Getting the overheat warning doesn't seem to be a common occurrence.

Last edited:

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I've researched a bit and found I'm not the only one who thinks the clutch in this truck is absolute crap. I definitely don't have any regrets about getting the manual but I foresee a lot of us will be buying that CF when we inevitably burn up the factory unit. I'm sure the transmission itself is adequate.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
On the trail, if you have to turn around or back up, it is much easier to go to 4WDL, 1st gear, so, you can let out the clutch completely while you execute the 4 point turn. If you are in ruts or boulders and are trying to execute tight maneuvers forward or back, you want your clutch completely out and feathering the gas pedal. It is much easier and much more comfortable doing this in the lowest gear possible - ie. granny gear, and your clutch will thank you for it.

With an automatic, you can get away with using 4WH in those situations because you have the torque converter to slip the tranny and allow the rpms to come up, but, with a stick shift, you have to follow a different strategy. 4WL with the clutch out on the rough terrain is the only way to go. If you watch some videos on you tube with the old TJ and JK sticks vs the newer JL automatics, you can always tell who has the stick. The sticks keep going, rolling up and down the boulders without stopping and rarely using the clutch. The automatics go up the boulders and stop, then, roll back, then roll foward, then roll back, then, forward, etc.... They can do that in 4WDH, but, you cannot with a Stick, you will burn out the clutch... none will survive.
I have had my JTR stick shift for 39K miles and have done many trails including 2 badge of honor trails in Big bear full of boulders. My clutch works perfect and I have never smelled any clutch smell. I used granny gear through all the rock gardens. I even use the "rock crawl" button (power braking) on my steering wheel that the Tazer gives you when I have to stop on a boulder.

In general, No matter what I am doing, I pick the right gear (low), I let the clutch out fast, and use the gas pedal afterwards to modulate my speed. You're clutch will last forever with this strategy.

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've researched a bit and found I'm not the only one who thinks the clutch in this truck is absolute crap. I definitely don't have any regrets about getting the manual but I foresee a lot of us will be buying that CF when we inevitably burn up the factory unit. I'm sure the transmission itself is adequate.
South bend has a few options coming out soon too. I used to use their clutches on my turbocharged/tuned cars. The stock clutch is very soft, but when offroad, 4 low should eliminate the need to slip the clutch. The manual is a mountain goat in 4L. When/if the stock clutch goes, I'll go south bend or centerforce too, though.

Sponsored

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
It only happens to me in reverse backing a trailer up.
South bend has a few options coming out soon too. I used to use their clutches on my turbocharged/tuned cars. The stock clutch is very soft, but when offroad, 4 low should eliminate the need to slip the clutch. The manual is a mountain goat in 4L. When/if the stock clutch goes, I'll go south bend or centerforce too, though.
So crazy. My clutch overheats when I am backing a trailer for any length of time. So yesterday at church, I get introduced to this guy and we start talking Gladiators and he says, "You should let me fix yours." I said, "What are you talking about?" And he proceeds to tell me about the clutch overheating. Turns out he owns South Bend Clutch. He says it is because it has a hollow clutch plate. So he takes my address and says he will send me the replacement kit to repair and after I am done to send him the old parts back.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It only happens to me in reverse backing a trailer up.

So crazy. My clutch overheats when I am backing a trailer for any length of time. So yesterday at church, I get introduced to this guy and we start talking Gladiators and he says, "You should let me fix yours." I said, "What are you talking about?" And he proceeds to tell me about the clutch overheating. Turns out he owns South Bend Clutch. He says it is because it has a hollow clutch plate. So he takes my address and says he will send me the replacement kit to repair and after I am done to send him the old parts back.
So he's giving out free samples? Nice 👍! What a small world!

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Upgrade? Too bad you can’t get the diesel with the manual, then you could have the engine and transmission overheat.
You had the diesel? I didn't know.

I'd argue the gen3 eco has less known cases compared to the clutch issue. The system lowering power output will at least still get you home compared to the clutch self destructing. 😘

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You had the diesel? I didn't know.

I'd argue the gen3 eco has less known cases compared to the clutch issue. The system lowering power output will at least still get you home compared to the clutch self destructing. 😘
The clutch will get you home too. That's what the recall addresses. It reduces torque output until it cools off, as opposed to allowing it to burn itself up. I'm not antidiesel, so please don't take it that way. I'd immediately welcome a diesel manual with a strong clutch into my arsenal. Mac has a max tow (therefore neither diesel nor manual), so he was just making a joke in good fun. No harm, no foul.

OP
OP
Wilkerbeast

Wilkerbeast

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom Edition
Occupation
Aviation Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I did get the update. Dealer did it on one of my services.
Sponsored