m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The CF clutch is sooooo much better and worth the upgrade (bonus the factory warranty only covers the clutch for 12 months and 12k miles so no worries about missing out on a warranty fix)

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a look at the stock clutch

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
So I sent my clutch away to South Bend Clutch. They rebuilt it. Got it back and it works great. No problems backing a yard trailer in the grass though some turns, which would have overheated my old clutch. $600. The first pic is my old clutch. The next 2 is the rebuilt one.
Jeep Gladiator Clutch Overheat!! 66612572187__F3D9EB48-1116-499D-9EDA-FB1FAA6D8134
Jeep Gladiator Clutch Overheat!! 66613482082__D86FDC0E-5BDE-46D6-A11F-43CAD3FF3974
Jeep Gladiator Clutch Overheat!! 66613488725__AD731F7A-936B-43BA-97A3-DB771294221D

MacJTCanada

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Go ahead and get it done. There is no reason not to. It just adds some safety parameters to keep you from burning things. Parameters which you'll more than likely never even run into. If you do, you'll be glad you did, because the overheat warning is better than actually burning the thing up. Mine came new with the recall already done. It has plenty of on and offroad miles on it at this point. Nary an issue. Never seen the warning before. Getting the overheat warning doesn't seem to be a common occurrence.
I mean I've had the recall... And you've seen what happened inside mine! So Idk about that. Didn't even know there was a warning till just now!

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Go ahead and get it done. There is no reason not to. It just adds some safety parameters to keep you from burning things. Parameters which you'll more than likely never even run into. If you do, you'll be glad you did, because the overheat warning is better than actually burning the thing up. Mine came new with the recall already done. It has plenty of on and offroad miles on it at this point. Nary an issue. Never seen the warning before. Getting the overheat warning doesn't seem to be a common occurrence.
So I assume my 2022 JTR will have that recall change already.

Sponsored

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
So, I took my 2020 6 speed Sport Gladiator out for its first trail adventure. Nothing difficult, Forestry Trails in a National Forest. About half a mile into one narrow trail I hit a dead end. Had to make a 6 point turn to turn around and during this maneuver I got a Clutch Hot warning. This wasn't difficult terrain. Just a carved trail in a National Forest. Could have done it in 2-wheel drive. I've owned 6 Vehicles with a manual transmission, one a '14 Tacoma that I've taken though much harder terrain, gotten stuck several times, and never had an issue. Had to sit for about 10 min for the warning to go away. For those thinking about it, this manual gearbox is complete crap. I found out it's for the Wrangler
Putting it in 4Lo is great advice from the above posts. I have a Mojave so I got 4:10 gears. OP has a Sport and that comes with (I don't know for sure) something like 3:73. Jeep should have bundled the manual with 4:10 gears across the entire line. If you get a manual you get 4:10's. It sure seems like a better match up.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
How hard is the clutch to replace for a homegamer? I love my MT, but hate the R gear ratio. I was backing up my utility trailer the other day; nothing too extreme. With minimal slipping of the clutch, when I got out, I noted the distinct, but faint smell of burning clutch. Absolutely ridiculous.

So, along with gears, I think I'll also be installing an aftermarket clutch at the same time. After that, I'm convinced it will be perfect.

Side note, though I have zero use for it, I would love to have a 4sp (or even 2sp) Atlas T-case where I could easily slip it into 2wd Low for reversing. It would make it a dream since it wants to back itself up at 20mph in 2wd High.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How hard is the clutch to replace for a homegamer? I love my MT, but hate the R gear ratio. I was backing up my utility trailer the other day; nothing too extreme. With minimal slipping of the clutch, when I got out, I noted the distinct, but faint smell of burning clutch. Absolutely ridiculous.

So, along with gears, I think I'll also be installing an aftermarket clutch at the same time. After that, I'm convinced it will be perfect.

Side note, though I have zero use for it, I would love to have a 4sp (or even 2sp) Atlas T-case where I could easily slip it into 2wd Low for reversing. It would make it a dream since it wants to back itself up at 20mph in 2wd High.
I have the Centerforce dual friction clutch and heavier flywheel. It’s definitely better when backing a trailer (and going toward and everything else too). I had an installer, Keystone 4x4 put my clutch in. My garage is not big enough to fit my JT in. I’ve replaced a TJ, YJ, Chevy Truck and a Ford Bronco transmission before but I’m getting too old to be rolling around on the ground. I peeked in on the install and talked to my installer. Pretty straightforward. The only “special” tool he used was a vacuum bleeder for the master cylinder. He did the tear down in 1 day and the install in 1 day while dealing with calls, customers, etc. good luck

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
It's a shame Jeep turns people off by screwing up something so simple. Almost like they want everyone to just get an auto...

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Upgrade? Too bad you can’t get the diesel with the manual, then you could have the engine and transmission overheat.
I’ll take an engine that overheats if you pull a trailer up a pass at 80mph over an engine that grinds off its camshaft in the driveway and can’t pull an empty truck up a pass above 60mph.
The power difference with the diesel is staggering over the 3.6l crapastar. I’m very happy to be rid of that engine.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I have the Centerforce dual friction clutch and heavier flywheel. It’s definitely better when backing a trailer (and going toward and everything else too). I had an installer, Keystone 4x4 put my clutch in. My garage is not big enough to fit my JT in. I’ve replaced a TJ, YJ, Chevy Truck and a Ford Bronco transmission before but I’m getting too old to be rolling around on the ground. I peeked in on the install and talked to my installer. Pretty straightforward. The only “special” tool he used was a vacuum bleeder for the master cylinder. He did the tear down in 1 day and the install in 1 day while dealing with calls, customers, etc. good luck
Is the heavier flywheel noticeable on flat ground or stoplights?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is the heavier flywheel noticeable on flat ground or stoplights?
It is. You can basically let it out with no gas and it won’t stall. It’s really noticeable when backing

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
It is. You can basically let it out with no gas and it won’t stall. It’s really noticeable when backing
What are the cons, if any, in daily driving?
Is it slower in acceleration? More load on the engine or transmission?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What are the cons, if any, in daily driving?
Is it slower in acceleration? More load on the engine or transmission?
The only con Ive noticed is increased pedal effort. I forgot how soft the old clutch pedal was until I recently drove a manual JL Wrangler.
In theory I guess there is a minor gas mileage hit (more spinning mass in the flywheel) but I haven’t noticed.
I guess there is a bit more load on the engine with an heavier flywheel - zero issues with it. Acceleration feels better by seat if the pants -it hooks up and goes but I have no data and acceleration is not a strong suit of a JT with 37s and 600lbs of armor, bumpers and winch.
I drove this thing 5,600 across the US from PA to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and back with a ton of gear - a mix of highway, 2 lane, back roads Forest roads and a little bit of rocks. Over mountains, in bumper to bumper city traffic with no issues.
Sponsored