Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Also to note if using rustys bracket plates, if you have a full belly skid plate like I do (motobilt) you will have to cut a corner off the rustys to fit, the belly plate goes to the end of the frame, my next step is to measure the cut I need to install the rustys
Sponsored

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2003 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
If you place your jack just behind the pinion it will pull the control arm back and if you lift from the pumpkin it will push forward
I saw your post after I had given up yesterday and was going to start fresh and try it today. I hate to be ultra dense but where is the pinion? Is it directly In front of the diff cover (towards the front of the vehicle)?

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If you place your jack just behind the pinion it will pull the control arm back and if you lift from the pumpkin it will push forward
Perhaps the jacking point is further forward up closer towards the drive shaft?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I saw your post after I had given up yesterday and was going to start fresh and try it today. I hate to be ultra dense but where is the pinion? Is it directly In front of the diff cover (towards the front of the vehicle)?
The pinion is "the about the drive shaft attaches to the axle. It will have a circular ring about 6 inches in diameter on it on the left back side of axle (front) or center of rear axle facing forward in middle.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The pinion is "the about the drive shaft attaches to the axle. It will have a circular ring about 6 inches in diameter on it on the left back side of axle (front) or center of rear axle facing forward in middle.
Thanks very much. Just so that I know I am good, I see, going from the axle sIde towards the front a silver ring around a quarter of an inch wide then a black ring about an inch wide then a gap and then a silver sort of housing about 4 to 6 inches wide into which the drive shaft appears to go. Is this last wide silver thing the place I should put my jack? Thanks again.

Sponsored

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I re read the original post. I think I am supposed to put the jack behind (toward the rear of the vehicle) of the pinion (the 4 to 6 inch wide silver part), jack it up a little, and then push up on the pumpkin.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a picture's of the pinion end of axle. The round "thing" is the driveshaft end. Sorry about not being earlier but I was driving home from work and then installing corner guards.

IMG_20210510_120714.jpg

IMG_20210510_120717.jpg

IMG_20210510_120737.jpg

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Got it done!!! I rocked the tires and at the appropriate time my friend tapped the bolt through. We then put it on his lift and were done in about 30 minutes with the second one while the first took hours. MAbe because it was easier on a lift plus I had a second set of hands plus or the control did not move like the first one did. Definitely had to wallow out one hole on each plate and then started the small bolts after taping the nuts in their proper locations. Left the smaller bolts loose while we put the control arm bolt in and then tightened all of the bolts. Once we got the smaller bolts started the nut tightened without a wrench.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Here is a picture's of the pinion end of axle. The round "thing" is the driveshaft end. Sorry about not being earlier but I was driving home from work and then installing corner guards.

Jeep Gladiator Control arm bracket protection IMG_20210510_120737

Thanks very much. I appreciate your help. See my recent post. Success!!!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks very much. I appreciate your help. See my recent post. Success!!!
I know that problem of only two hands to work on something.

Sponsored

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I know that problem of only two hands to work on something.
And my wife, who is great, is virtually no help in a situation like this. By the way, I am impressed with the number of jeeps you have! I have been toying with the idea of buying a JL.

LostAggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Tried the ratchet strap and a friend pushing on the tire. Neither worked. Maybe because I set the emergency brake. I o dear if I should release the brake and or jack up the tire a slight amount. P.S. I got the lca bolt in part way but it goes in crooked and will Not go thru all the way. Or maybe I need a better ratchet strap or a stronger friend???
Depending on the direction needed you push towards the front or rear, like rolling the tire but parked and it should align. And yes, a strong friend helps…. 💪

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Depending on the direction needed you push towards the front or rear, like rolling the tire but parked and it should align. And yes, a strong friend helps…. 💪
Thanks. Got it by rolling the wheel backwards with a lot of grunt. See my earlier post if interested.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
And my wife, who is great, is virtually no help in a situation like this. By the way, I am impressed with the number of jeeps you have! I have been toying with the idea of buying a JL.
Well I guess I'm a hoarder of Jeeps and any thing I bought. Probably due to not having squat growing up, and then living about like a monk in light infantry and then mech infantry of only having what fits in a rucksack and 2 duffle bags. Everything I owned would fit in my MJ and boat. 🤔 Then I added my XJ and later I bought a house... 😣

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I just installed the rusty skids. Mine came bare metal as well. I sprayed on a few coats and called it good.

I parked the jeep in neutral on a relatively flat driveway and set the parking brake. I also chocked the wheels. Didn't do any good. hahaha. LCA still shifted. You know it's going to be off is there's any lateral tension on the bolt as your taking it out.

I went to install the skid and sure enough, the front hole was off a hair. I just enlarged it slapped it on.

My LCA was just back a 1/4 inch. I put a floor jack under the pinion, pumped and checked the hole. Gave another pump and checked the hole until it was lined up. I lifted it just enough where the tires were still on the ground. LCA bolt slid right back through.

The biggest pain was getting that 185 ft pound of torque with only a few inches to work with. Unlike my other jeep, this one doesn't have a 2.5 lift and 35's.
Sponsored