Sponsored

Corning Gorilla Glass Windshield cracks for no reason.

foolthrottle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Corvette, MG n special, Dodge 4x4, Chry
Occupation
Hippy, Cowboy, Pioneer
In a number of submitted photos the cracking begins in nearly the same location, looking out,the cracking begins at the bottom of the windshield slightly to the right of center. I live in Colorado and travel frequently to the Mojave desert, so there are major temp fluctuations
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Colorado and travel frequently to the Mojave desert, so there are major temp fluctuations
Heck, I can stay on my own property and have major temperature fluctuations in a single day. 75 to 20, for example, in less than 24 hours.

I'd be curious as to if those with non-GG glass see this because it's NOT the Gorilla Glass that's cracking, it's the normal soda-lime glass on the outside that's cracking, if what I'm seeing is correct.
The Gorilla Glass is the layer in the cab. The layer facing the sand and rocks and snow and ice is ordinary windshield glass.

I had the windshield in my 1995 F250 crack one winter day when running defrost while I was scooping snow in front of a store we owned. ( left it running with defrost on to clear the freezing rain and snow and got back in the truck a few minutes later to see a crack across the windshield)

So far mine is fine but there is a tiny chip I'm concerned about so will have repaired before it turns into a crack. GG can't prevent all chips, only reduces the likelihood.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
This issue can also be caused by a nick on the edge of the glass during installation. Several years before I retired glass company came out to the fire station and replaced the windshield on the engine. Next morning during daily checkout when the pump was engaged the windshield cracked from the right bottom corner. Had a small nick at the origin of the crack.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This issue can also be caused by a nick on the edge of the glass during installation. Several years before I retired glass company came out to the fire station and replaced the windshield on the engine. Next morning during daily checkout when the pump was engaged the windshield cracked from the right bottom corner. Had a small nick at the origin of the crack.
And it doesn't take a nick as in "there's a chip out of the edge" either. I broke a nice windshield years ago when the trim removal tool I was using touched the edge of the glass - ting! And the crack slowly crawled up the windshield. (I was not happy but it was my own doing).
When I got the trim off, you could hardly tell where the tool touched the very edge of the glass.
Even standard glass - when I worked at the Ace hardware store and, among other duties, cut glass for customers, there was a barrel by the cutting table that was constantly full - and not always of scraps..........I think I only had one or two boo-boos while there, obviously others didn't have as good a luck LOL.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
I couldn't find any anything that said GG is more resistant to chips or cracks, whether inner or outer layers. I believe it's supposed to be for more clarity. But, the gladiators windshields are so flat, i don't it has the clarity issues like glass with those bend/curve edges.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't find any anything that said GG is more resistant to chips or cracks, whether inner or outer layers. I believe it's supposed to be for more clarity. But, the gladiators windshields are so flat, i don't it has the clarity issues like glass with those bend/curve edges.
It does help clarity in big part because it's thinner, but standard windshield glass meets all of the standards for clarify so that's not a big deal really - not yet. Standards keep changing.
It does heat faster due to being thinner inner layer, and is something like 30% lighter than standard windshields.
It's a lot safer in certain accidents - that's why I got it. It's safer for occupants inside the cab when that windshield takes a major hit and standard glass would send shards into your wife's face.
MOPAR misleads in their marketing materials.

This is the truth -
This chemically strengthened glass isn’t marketed as unbreakable or immune to scratches.
Jeep Gladiator Corning Gorilla Glass Windshield cracks for no reason. 1682896378132

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Just had mine replaced because of a rock strike and the replacement cracked within a week

foolthrottle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Corvette, MG n special, Dodge 4x4, Chry
Occupation
Hippy, Cowboy, Pioneer
Look familiar?

thumbnail (2).jpg
Sponsored