John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
While preparing for another order, I often question the need for convenience items vs price. Having started my Gladiator journey with a Sport, I switched to a Rubicon. Over time I’m really considering going back to basic for functionality rather convenience. Coming from history owning a CJ, YJ, TJ and now JT, all which served me well in basic form. I see some comfort items not worth the hassle of what I can do myself. Could you go without some things?
Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I had a Cherokee (XJ) Sport years ago that didn’t have power door locks or power windows. It didn’t bug me that much, as it only cost me $3K.

I wouldn’t spend $30K+ on a vehicle without those features, but that’s just me. I will likely never run without doors. If you’re planning on running door free, it’s probably a non-issue for you.

Something to consider…I can’t imagine it’s going to be quick or easy to sell a JT without those features, if/when the time comes.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
My wife has a JLU Sport model without power door locks or windows. She doesn't mind it too much as it's usually just her in the car with the A/C on, or the doors are off so it doesn't matter anyways. I just purchased my Overland Eco JT with everything on it. I couldn't do without the power options mostly for the fact that when I arrive/leave work my vehicle is searched and it's not very fun trying to roll all 4 windows up and down from the driver's seat. So for me it's worth it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This seems like a good question to make a poll. Otherwise it'll get tough sifting through all the anecdotal responses.
Where’s the fun in that? At least it’s not the last Jeep I’ll ever own!

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Could not stand to have a 4dr without power locks at a minimum. I use my back seat space way too much for storage. Rear door locks used to be forward on the top of the door through the 90s for a reason. Now they're just not in a convenient enough place to deal with manually.

In a 2dr I could take it or leave it.

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Oh how times have changed. Must be a generational thing because growing up most cars didn’t have them in my case. Yes, they are creature comforts but I think I could adapt without them very well. I could easily go back to just a house phone as well and throw my cell into the lake. I hate carrying it around.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
Not a generational thing at all. I remember the 1960's and crank windows, manual locks, no cell phones, computers were figments of imagination.... I'm never going back. Leave me right here with all of the wonderful advances in technology!
Sponsored