Sponsored

Damaged Front Bumper Upon Arrival...Again...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Completely disagree. Shipping is all about minimizing movement and maintaining rigidity and they're not even giving UPS a chance on this one. Boxes don't magically tear from shipping and it's well known what they go through. It's up to the shipper to ensure their product is packaged well enough to survive shipping and cardboard like that is far too thin to hold back a bumper with no additional internal support to keep the bumper in place.

This is just Fab Fours (like many) cheaping out on shipping products to save a buck.

I worked in a company that shipped huge control systems and monitors in metal housings to eastern Europe, South America and so on. I learned a lot from the guy who was in charge of testing the packaging involved. I don't care what it was - if you lifted it and shook it - you'd better not feel or hear it move (some things one person couldn't easily lift)
And they lifted the packaged items onto a forklift and dropped them 6' onto concrete as part of the test.

I'd also ask - are these bumpers MADE at the place that is shipping them out, or do they arrive, sit on pallet racks to later be boxed and shipped to customers? If the business selling them is shipping them to a final customer in the same box with the same packaging - big mistake!
I've been shipping car parts, even antique engines and parts since I was a teen and I've never had a failure.

Below are examples of things I have bought that were shipped to me. The most expensive were the quarter panels hanging on the wall - RARE, likely one of a kind items. About $120 shipping for one, I seem to recall $100 for the other. Look at the size and shape - not easy.
The chrome bumpers are examples - the one in the rafters is the one off my car - the NEW one that was shipped to me is identical, I use that as an example of a fragile chrome bumper being shipped to me - show chrome on an expensive bumper. They wrapped it in a padded paper, 2 or 3 layers, then into a box that it fit fairly snug in.

I'd wonder again - is the seller the one packing them for shipping to the final customer, or just reshipping them in the same boxes they got them in?

These 2 quarter panels were shipped to me - not a mark on them. They have sharp edges.

Jeep Gladiator Damaged Front Bumper Upon Arrival...Again... 20210115_092838_HDR

These louvers were shipped by an eBay seller to the guy I bought them from. They are restored, I stripped and painted them, but hey, they were shipped without damage by an eBay ordinary joe.
Off the car they are fragile and hard to carry for lack of rigid structure - but shipped successfully.

Jeep Gladiator Damaged Front Bumper Upon Arrival...Again... 20210115_093210

A bumper just like this was shipped to me for something like $50 as I recall. Well wrapped with a heavy padded paper.
So why can't businesses do that?

Jeep Gladiator Damaged Front Bumper Upon Arrival...Again... 20210115_093054

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I worked in a company that shipped huge control systems and monitors in metal housings to eastern Europe, South America and so on. I learned a lot from the guy who was in charge of testing the packaging involved. I don't care what it was - if you lifted it and shook it - you'd better not feel or hear it move (some things one person couldn't easily lift)
And they lifted the packaged items onto a forklift and dropped them 6' onto concrete as part of the test.

I'd also ask - are these bumpers MADE at the place that is shipping them out, or do they arrive, sit on pallet racks to later be boxed and shipped to customers? If the business selling them is shipping them to a final customer in the same box with the same packaging - big mistake!
I've been shipping car parts, even antique engines and parts since I was a teen and I've never had a failure.

Below are examples of things I have bought that were shipped to me. The most expensive were the quarter panels hanging on the wall - RARE, likely one of a kind items. About $120 shipping for one, I seem to recall $100 for the other. Look at the size and shape - not easy.
The chrome bumpers are examples - the one in the rafters is the one off my car - the NEW one that was shipped to me is identical, I use that as an example of a fragile chrome bumper being shipped to me - show chrome on an expensive bumper. They wrapped it in a padded paper, 2 or 3 layers, then into a box that it fit fairly snug in.

I'd wonder again - is the seller the one packing them for shipping to the final customer, or just reshipping them in the same boxes they got them in?

These 2 quarter panels were shipped to me - not a mark on them. They have sharp edges.

These louvers were shipped by an eBay seller to the guy I bought them from. They are restored, I stripped and painted them, but hey, they were shipped without damage by an eBay ordinary joe.
Off the car they are fragile and hard to carry for lack of rigid structure - but shipped successfully.

A bumper just like this was shipped to me for something like $50 as I recall. Well wrapped with a heavy padded paper.
So why can't businesses do that?
Fab Fours are actually US made by the company so OP's issue is 100% on them. It's all cost savings because $40 in packaging is another $40 on the price (minimum) which means fewer customers and no additional profit margin. They can pack well like other businesses but they choose not to.

Anectdotal but aside from the reason @Bonanza pointed out, I'd never buy because of posts like these. Details are what get and keep your business and while one bumper being damaged can be dealt with, you better damn well make sure the next one that goes out can't be damaged no matter how hard the man in brown tries.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fab Fours are actually US made by the company so OP's issue is 100% on them. It's all cost savings because $40 in packaging is another $40 on the price (minimum) which means fewer customers and no additional profit margin. They can pack well like other businesses but they choose not to.

Anectdotal but aside from the reason @Bonanza pointed out, I'd never buy because of posts like these. Details are what get and keep your business and while one bumper being damaged can be dealt with, you better damn well make sure the next one that goes out can't be damaged no matter how hard the man in brown tries.
So they are made and shipped to the final customer (the OP here) from the same facility... ok, that's what I wondered. Some have things made in another location, then shipped from where they are made to the location they are sold out of - meaning shipped from factory to "store", then to customer.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
So they are made and shipped to the final customer (the OP here) from the same facility... ok, that's what I wondered. Some have things made in another location, then shipped from where they are made to the location they are sold out of - meaning shipped from factory to "store", then to customer.
Well it's all direct from Fab Fours to the point of sale but IMO, shipping in the original packaging is the standard in almost every industry for oversized and overweight items. Even if this came through Northridge or Quadratec or someone, FF should realize that their stuff isn't going to be opened and re-packed.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well it's all direct from Fab Fours to the point of sale but IMO, shipping in the original packaging is the standard in almost every industry for oversized and overweight items. Even if this came through Northridge or Quadratec or someone, FF should realize that their stuff isn't going to be opened and re-packed.
True - I've bought things from the online dealerships - one example is a skid plate. Under the label that had my name on it was the label "To" the dealership that sent it to me. On the other side of the box was another label where a different dealership had sent it to them.
So it went from MOPAR depot to dealership 1 then from 1 to dealership 2, then form 2 to me.
Dealership 2 had bought it from another dealership so they could sell it to me.
The box had never been opened (but was fine and the skid plate was packed ok and fine)

Anywho, you sort of made a point for me - the source should realize their packaging will likely be THE final packaging to the consumer.
The way some of this stuff gets packed you sort of wonder if it wasn't already scratched by the time the final point of sale received it.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Ask yourself this, if they offered two pricing levels one that guaranteed delivery unscathed for an additional $40 and one that did not, which one would receive more orders?

Regardless, I am unwilling to accept product damaged in shipping, whether that is the result of poor packaging as seen here, rough handling, or a combination of the two.

You charged me and I expect you to deliver what I bought.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Ask yourself this, if they offered two pricing levels one that guaranteed delivery unscathed for an additional $40 and one that did not, which one would receive more orders?

Regardless, I am unwilling to accept product damaged in shipping, whether that is the result of poor packaging as seen here, rough handling, or a combination of the two.

You charged me and I expect you to deliver what I bought.
I guarantee most would not opt for it and then 90% of those customers would bad-mouth the company when their stuff arrived scratched. I'm 100% with you... unless it's unfinished, I expect things to come as they are ordered. If you need more packaging then work that into the price.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
These days I’d be lucky it arrived at all.

I ordered a tailgate reinforcement; it was supposed to arrive by Dec. 28 but got lost. Amazon refunded my money. I ordered another one from a different supplier; that one arrived as scheduled and in one piece.

The original order finally appeared on my front steps, three weeks late. The carrier left it in the pouring rain. When I got the box inside, water had seeped all the way through. Let it dry in the garage for a few days and sent it back to Amazon since I got refunded for it.

Your shipping can be:
  1. “Free”
  2. Fast
  3. Handled with care
Pick any two.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guarantee most would not opt for it and then 90% of those customers would bad-mouth the company when their stuff arrived scratched. I'm 100% with you... unless it's unfinished, I expect things to come as they are ordered. If you need more packaging then work that into the price.
And my point, having shipped hundreds of things - some huge, some not, some fragile, some not, correctly packing doesn't cost that much - it takes very little time to do it right and adds almost nothing to the weight. If they added $10 to the cost for packaging better I bet they'd be making money on the packaging, too.
Some things I've wrapped in plastic, shot some expanding foam in the box, sealed it up and shipped it. One guy commented it took him 15 minutes to get it out of the box - it took me less than 5 minutes to package it.

Sponsored

Itzzchrisss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Stingray JTR
Same thing happened to me when I ordered the fab fours stubby bumper. I ended up getting the smittybilt stryker and was amazed at how well it was packaged compared to fab fours!

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
So, let me start by saying that I understand that times are tough, that everyone is going through things differently, & that I realize we need to be a little bit more understanding....

Now that that's out of the way & since this is an open forum, I wanted to reach out to the community to address something that I've noticed & see if anyone has any similar experiences. On 12/14/20, I placed my original order for the Fab Fours Stubby Bumper (part #JL18-B4752-1) from Morris4x4 (found their link directly through the Fab Fours website) which was delivered & left at my doorstep on 12/21/20 via FedEx Home Delivery (no signature required). The below pictures are how the original order was delivered:

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

0CDEA858-1345-4C31-B8B5-745109ABD901.jpg
6D8F6FB5-B27E-4481-80B0-C9B12F348062.jpg
52B07F09-343D-4029-8287-1757D4BE99C9.jpg
60D639A9-F67D-4CB2-903A-864AF25C170A.jpg
814DC9B3-1988-4535-8251-73C074A7B8DC.jpg
8090CDD7-3334-4A17-A2DE-E94B6832D598.jpg
839047DA-CB75-4262-BA46-A3DE55E31209.jpg
2035324E-B201-40B7-B72C-DC2CB1A343E6.jpg
AE9026CB-6499-4292-8760-34C25D6EE960.jpg
B2238C66-6181-4A94-96E4-210241F0F7D0.jpg

Obviously, I wasn't pleased & instantly reached out to Morris4x4 to remedy the issue. Apparently, the item should've been sent via LTL Freight, but wasn't. Also, the packaging was apparently "high quality" via Fab Fours Support Team once I reached out to notify them of how their items are being handled by those they trust to market/distribute. I guess a simple black felt fabric and cardboard box are enough to protect a steel bumper. No packing peanuts, no condensed foam, no bubble wrap. Nothing. After going back & forth with Morris4x4 & waiting another month for delivery of the replacement, I finally received the 2nd bumper this afternoon via LTL Freight. The pictures are listed below:

28A9FEF0-06F6-41C1-A9B2-B668D5EAD880.jpeg
1573A2CF-C346-4AA8-BC7F-5214EBDBC662.jpeg
7817BBAA-5F99-448C-AD92-CA52F2651DFC.jpeg
03E92ABE-6F76-48FE-8216-114DAE475B2D.jpeg
F24A57A9-81FC-4CE0-9524-E868C5891467.jpeg
BDE6F700-36D8-4DBA-A597-D734FFD29C53.jpeg
41C6BAED-2490-4B84-A704-6D74D63FDD8A.jpeg

As you can see...better exterior packaging, but the interior had a similar result. Due to bare metal being exposed on the 2nd bumper, I refused the delivery & didn't sign the delivery receipt. If I mount it, it'll rust in no time. Plus, I feel that I shouldn't have to fix anyone else's issues, so I don't want to simply patch it or send it to a shop to powder coat over the exposure. I just simply want the item I ordered...undamaged. Again, reached out to Morris4x4 to remedy the issue. They apologized yet again & asked if I wanted a refund or replacement.

Giving them one last chance, but wondering if this is a lost cause. I fear that the 2nd bumper issue might've been a factory QA mishap by Morris4x4 vs shipping issue, but it's not my call. Like I said above, I know that things happen & I try to be a forgiving guy, but this is insane. Has anyone else had an issue with bumpers or with Morris4x4? This is my first time ordering from them & it's not leaving me with a great impression....
I feel your pain. My wife purchased Molle panels for my JT for a Christmas gift. Arrived in time but was short one upper bracket, so can only install one side.
1. Called JCR Off Road first day they were open after Christmas and was told they were in production and I would receive my bracket within two days or as soon as they were available. Ordered Molle Panel for front of bed
2. Front panel arrived., but no side offset bracket. Called two weeks later and was told the bracket would be sent that afternoon priority mail. No bracket arrived.
3. Called yesterday and was told the bracket was coming out of Powder Coating, and would be sent that afternoon. Yeah, riiiiiiiiight.

I am, as are most people are.... reasonable... but to a point. I get up when someone is pissing on my leg and tells me it's raining. I have Molle panel's in the bed of my JT ratteling around as I drive and cannot install or mount till the freaking bracket arrives. Sick and damn tired of this BS.

You reading this JCR Offroad?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
5 bumpers, 2 sets of rocker protection and 4 winches. All of the stuff I got in years past came in good with out any marks or scuffs. (My over priced and over built rear XJ bumper was packed very dang well I do remember that) Now stuff almost always has a scuff marks or chipped something, the wrinkle finish of now days is no where as good. But I don't remember where the chipped finish was or if. I'm not building a show car now if it looked like it was thrown out of a window I would upset. I have a few friends that would be having a s### fit but to me life is to short for it. "Get them to knock off some bucks, touch it up and move on" would be my move. I'm not showing it in classic car show are you? If so different situation and your not likely to be installing aftermarket parts.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
And my point, having shipped hundreds of things - some huge, some not, some fragile, some not, correctly packing doesn't cost that much - it takes very little time to do it right and adds almost nothing to the weight. If they added $10 to the cost for packaging better I bet they'd be making money on the packaging, too.
Some things I've wrapped in plastic, shot some expanding foam in the box, sealed it up and shipped it. One guy commented it took him 15 minutes to get it out of the box - it took me less than 5 minutes to package it.
I agree. He didn't order a scratched bumper, he ordered a new bumper. And to say it's ok to produce, ship and then DELIVER a scratched bumper is unacceptable. Jeep accoutrements are expensive and we all work hard for our money. The idea that one man's honkytonk bar upright is another man's Steinway holds true. Fab Four needs to deliver the merchandise in a reasonable and workman like manner... and with out damage.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
5 bumpers, 2 sets of rocker protection and 4 winches. All of the stuff I got in years past came in good with out any marks or scuffs. (My over priced and over built rear XJ bumper was packed very dang well I do remember that) Now stuff almost always has a scuff marks or chipped something, the wrinkle finish of now days is no where as good. But I don't remember where the chipped finish was or if. I'm not building a show car now if it looked like it was thrown out of a window I would upset. I have a few friends that would be having a s### fit but to me life is to short for it. "Get them to knock off some bucks, touch it up and move on" would be my move. I'm not showing it in classic car show are you? If so different situation and your not likely to be installing aftermarket parts.
But then again, he wasn't spending your money.. was he.
Sponsored