Damaged gutter rail on Freedom Top

Dakarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee (getting Gladiator soon)
Occupation
Network Engineer
I damaged my rear end of gutter rail on top my JT. Was on a narrow gravel road and pulled to right and tried to backup a bit to allow a camper trailer to go by and my wheel slipped off the road right where a metal road sign was that cut my top there. Just fiberglass it appears, any ideas on how to fix something liek that? I'm sure I can't make it look like new but should be able to do something I hope.
Jeep Gladiator Damaged gutter rail on Freedom Top IMG_3429
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

Zswickliffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon
If it were mine, I'd probably cut the broken section off as cleanly as possible (wear PPE) and then just paint over it to make sure it's sealed.

You could probably try to rebuild it by laying more fiberglass and epoxy over it but I'm not skilled enough for that.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Epoxy it back as best as possible, shave off or carefully sand down any excess epoxy or high spots and then paint. Its on the passenger side so you won't notice. Everyone else will think you scraped it off road leaning hard into a rock or something. You sexy beast... : ) [hope you laugh and don't take offense]

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Take the piece off, clean it up mix up some epoxy with a little thickener and reattach the piece, sand it smooth and rattle can it.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Insurance claim?
I agree. Iā€™m not sure what the OPā€™s deductible is, but for me itā€™s $50. Assuming you rarely, if ever, have insurance claims, Iā€™d file that in a heart beat.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sarge Mojave, ā€˜21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
I doubt it would be cheap, but a place that does fiberglass work on boats could probably fix that pretty easily.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
OP - the more I look at the damage it looks like you had something on the rain gutter like a roof rack (think Yakima rain gutter mount) that was too heavy and broke the raingutter. You said you hit a metal sign and I believe you. My point is that I worry about breaking a rain gutter with weight from a roof rack. If you don't need to put weight on it then your repair options are much more varied than if you need to have weight on it...
Sponsored