Dealer Damaged Body Bolts

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
This will be a long story but looking for some advice. After reading so many posts of body bolt issues I decided to have my rock hard sliders installed by a professional. Called my dealer and clearly explained the task (aftermarket part, need to remove the 6 body bolts as part of install). They said they could do it, quoted me a price, and set an appt. Went to dealer yesterday to get it done. I stayed at the dealer while work was being done and so glad I did. The dealer put my vehicle in the bay right in front of the window by the waiting room so I could see everything they were going to do. After 2 hours of watching my vehicle sit there with no one working on it they finally started. I should have known when they started to match the sliders to the vehicle and were holding them upside down that I was in trouble. I got with the SA and let him know the boxes were marked and they were currently holding them upside down. They got them lined up and started removing the body bolts. first 2 came off with no problems and then he moved to the rear passenger mount. It was not breaking free. He got another tech and he finally got it loose. They moved to the drivers side and I stopped watching for a few moments and when I looked back out there I saw 3 techs now all under my vehicle...uh oh was my first thought. After about 30 minutes of no work going on the tech started putting the body bolts he removed back on the vehicle without installing the sliders. The SA came over and said they were having problems with the bolts and did not want to damage the vehicle and would not be installing them. He recommended a body shop. They brought my vehicle around and before I got in I asked the SA and the tech if any of the bolts had been damaged and is everything tightened down. They said yes. I bent down and reached under the vehicle and grabbed the rear body bolt on the drivers side. I wiggled it and I was able to feel some play in it. I commented that this bolt should not have any play in it. The SA said body bolts are designed to flex. I wanted to call BS but didn't. I drove home and once I got up to speed on the highway I could feel vibration in the wheel and through the seat. I know this was not right as the truck has been a tank up to this point. I pulled into my driveway and reached back under the vehicle and the rear bolt after getting vibrated from the drive home was now loose and turning in my bare hand. I immediately called the SA. I let him know the bolt was damaged and there was no way the tech did not know this and I was allowed to leave in a vehicle that was damaged and possibly unsafe. I was asked to return to the dealership and informed they would take care of it and repair any damage. He also had the audacity to ask if I would like them to install the sliders. I am now waiting on their call as to what happened and what the fix will be. At this point I have doubts as to whether the other bolts have been compromised. Is it too much to ask that all 6 bolts get pulled, the body and frame gets properly inspected, sliders installed and all 6 bolts get replaced with new hardware to ensure everything is back to new. The vehicle is only 2 months old. Bottom line is they damaged my Gladiator, lied about it, and allowed me to drive it in an unsafe condition. I am sooooo mad and disappointed.
Sponsored

mtgustin

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Past: 76' CJ-7, 2013 GC Altitude 5.7, 87 Wrangler
Occupation
Horribly underpaid government worker
This will be a long story but looking for some advice. After reading so many posts of body bolt issues I decided to have my rock hard sliders installed by a professional. Called my dealer and clearly explained the task (aftermarket part, need to remove the 6 body bolts as part of install). They said they could do it, quoted me a price, and set an appt. Went to dealer yesterday to get it done. I stayed at the dealer while work was being done and so glad I did. The dealer put my vehicle in the bay right in front of the window by the waiting room so I could see everything they were going to do. After 2 hours of watching my vehicle sit there with no one working on it they finally started. I should have known when they started to match the sliders to the vehicle and were holding them upside down that I was in trouble. I got with the SA and let him know the boxes were marked and they were currently holding them upside down. They got them lined up and started removing the body bolts. first 2 came off with no problems and then he moved to the rear passenger mount. It was not breaking free. He got another tech and he finally got it loose. They moved to the drivers side and I stopped watching for a few moments and when I looked back out there I saw 3 techs now all under my vehicle...uh oh was my first thought. After about 30 minutes of no work going on the tech started putting the body bolts he removed back on the vehicle without installing the sliders. The SA came over and said they were having problems with the bolts and did not want to damage the vehicle and would not be installing them. He recommended a body shop. They brought my vehicle around and before I got in I asked the SA and the tech if any of the bolts had been damaged and is everything tightened down. They said yes. I bent down and reached under the vehicle and grabbed the rear body bolt on the drivers side. I wiggled it and I was able to feel some play in it. I commented that this bolt should not have any play in it. The SA said body bolts are designed to flex. I wanted to call BS but didn't. I drove home and once I got up to speed on the highway I could feel vibration in the wheel and through the seat. I know this was not right as the truck has been a tank up to this point. I pulled into my driveway and reached back under the vehicle and the rear bolt after getting vibrated from the drive home was now loose and turning in my bare hand. I immediately called the SA. I let him know the bolt was damaged and there was no way the tech did not know this and I was allowed to leave in a vehicle that was damaged and possibly unsafe. I was asked to return to the dealership and informed they would take care of it and repair any damage. He also had the audacity to ask if I would like them to install the sliders. I am now waiting on their call as to what happened and what the fix will be. At this point I have doubts as to whether the other bolts have been compromised. Is it too much to ask that all 6 bolts get pulled, the body and frame gets properly inspected, sliders installed and all 6 bolts get replaced with new hardware to ensure everything is back to new. The vehicle is only 2 months old. Bottom line is they damaged my Gladiator, lied about it, and allowed me to drive it in an unsafe condition. I am sooooo mad and disappointed.

Take it back, make sure they do it right and go to another shop next time. If they are offering to fix at this point, it is better than having to wait, worry, try to find another place to fix, etc. Just my two cents.

CTFriel

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Did you document the fact it was loose with the dealer?

If so, stick a socket on it and see if it will tighten down.

I installed my ACE sliders by myself in less than an hour. It was an ultra simple job with hand tools no impacts. I’m guessing they got scared when the bolt was almost out but kept spinning. It’s in a retainer and you need to apply downward pressure (eg pull it down while loosening) to remove it. That’s not intuitive and could scare someone thinking they “stripped” it.

Call them, tell them its loose and you’re going to attempt to tighten it... then do the job yourself if you’re able.

Last edited:

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant

Is it too much to ask ? Are you kidding ?

Make it perfect ... As it was when you brought it to them ...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It sounds as if the captive nut may have become dislodged from the retainer inside the body. That is a pain, but there was someone on the forum who completed this repair himself, but had to cut a small window in the floorboard for access.

6274A14A-38E4-4682-A1C7-6A34F2B8F60B.jpeg

Sponsored

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I’m guessing they got scared when the bolt was almost out but kept spinning. It’s in a retainer and you sometime need to apply downward pressure (eg pull it down while loosening) to remove it. That’s not intuitive and could scare someone thinking they “stripped” it.
When I removed my body bolts to put on my Ace sliders, one of those bolts took a lot of down force before the retainer allowed it to turn out.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I think your fine. It would be impossible for the frame to be damaged. Worse case scenario me of the bolts is destroyed. Not a huge deal but they should make it right.

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just an update. Spoke to my SA and he let me know that the dealership opened a STARS ticket with FCA on how to proceed....Not sure if this is good or not. No ETA or specifics on the issue have been given to me so still not feeling good. Not sure how the STARS process works and why the dealer needed to go this route. Any insights???

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi MCATDT,

We hear your concerns about a recent visit to one of our dealerships and would certainly be more than happy to work with your dealer on getting this resolved. If you would like additional assistance, please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and name of your current dealer.

Kathryn
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So the dealer has still not come up with a solution on body bolt damage. They damaged the vehicle almost a week ago and the only action they appear to have taken is to create a STAR with FCA. They could have built me a new Gladiator at this point?!?! They are being very obtuse as to what the issue is and just seem to think FCA will save the day for them. I'm wondering if they have even taken accountability for the issue in the STAR request. Jeep Cares has reached out so I'm hoping they will be able to help expedite. Am I missing something...this just does not appear to be this difficult to me to resolve. Body bolt issues on JL/JT are well documented on line and this was the prime reason that I went to the dealer and did even attempt to do the slider install myself.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Do you still have the Jeep or are they holding it hostage? Take note of how the captive nuts engage in the slots in the body. Do you think you could apply downward pressure while trying to tighten or the bolt? This might allow the tabs on the nut to re engage. I wish you luck.

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Do you still have the Jeep or are they holding it hostage? Take note of how the captive nuts engage in the slots in the body. Do you think you could apply downward pressure while trying to tighten or the bolt? This might allow the tabs on the nut to re engage. I wish you luck.
They have it hostage. They just called and told me its going to the body shop because their techs don't know what to do. That was a decision they should have made last week. I guess this is some sort of progress..not sure why it took 6 days to get to this point.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
They have it hostage. They just called and told me its going to the body shop because their techs don't know what to do. That was a decision they should have made last week. I guess this is some sort of progress..not sure why it took 6 days to get to this point.
They probably don't even know how those body bolts/nuts engage...

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Get with @JeepCares

They handled my TSB in a super efficient and professional manner. I'm getting my repair and just waiting on parts. They will fight for you.

Hi MCATDT,

We hear your concerns about a recent visit to one of our dealerships and would certainly be more than happy to work with your dealer on getting this resolved. If you would like additional assistance, please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and name of your current dealer.

Kathryn
Jeep Cares
Sponsored