Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve changed the oil myself once and just took it in for a free Jeep Wave oil change.
Brought in my own oil and filter and they looked at me like I was crazy.
Then the tech and his buddy wanted to argue with me about it taking 6 qts instead of the 5 I brought in.
I told them I would get the manual out of the glove box if they didn’t believe me.
Needless to say,the tech gave me a thumbs up after checking the oil level after changing it.

Anyone who has problems with the dealer on oil capacity - show them this Chrysler communication (full PDF attached with original number for reference)

Jeep Gladiator Dealer oil change oil-capacity
Sponsored

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Complete, total and absolute BS. Requiring dealer brand parts to preserve a warranty is specifically prohibited by law.
As long as it's a quality part meeting OEM specs, it's going to do the same work so why would anyone care.

And like you said - that's the law and it's most typically related to computer upgrades, but applies to vehicles as well.

I'd not go out and use a cheap-ass no-name chinese filter from 5-Finger discount but who here would do that anyway?

I think it's a case of some dealer shops trying to pull something, and in other cases it's that they just plain don't know and were never told any better. It's not always trying to BS you - some simply don't know any better.

Azriel62

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Dodge dually, 05 Toyota Sequoia, 49 power wagon
Occupation
Retired
Complete, total and absolute BS. Requiring dealer brand parts to preserve a warranty is specifically prohibited by law. To void the warranty, the dealer would have to prove the oil filter caused a failure.
I will be doing some more checking on this. This is interesting.

Azriel62

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Dodge dually, 05 Toyota Sequoia, 49 power wagon
Occupation
Retired
Anyone who has problems with the dealer on oil capacity - show them this Chrysler communication (full PDF attached with original number for reference)

Jeep Gladiator Dealer oil change oil-capacity
Is it the same on the JTRD

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
As long as it's a quality part meeting OEM specs, it's going to do the same work so why would anyone care.

And like you said - that's the law and it's most typically related to computer upgrades, but applies to vehicles as well.

I'd not go out and use a cheap-ass no-name chinese filter from 5-Finger discount but who here would do that anyway?

I think it's a case of some dealer shops trying to pull something, and in other cases it's that they just plain don't know and were never told any better. It's not always trying to BS you - some simply don't know any better.
I'm under the impression the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies here, but I could be mistaken.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm under the impression the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies here, but I could be mistaken.
I'm no attorney but I've read the act in detail and looked up opinions on it - doesn't mean I got it all or even what I got is perfect, but still doing your own filter and oil change seems like a pretty basic thing (and thus covered). Even insurance policies are carefully worded in that regard to cover their butts when using non-OEM parts.

I'd still run the best quality filter I could fine or that's made (at least as good as OEM) just to be sure they don't even try to say "that cheap 50 cent filter caused xy and z to fail".
Show 'em the specs, shut 'em up.
Being covered by a law or act doesn't mean there's no hassle, no money or time out of your pocket is all I'm thinking on it - maybe over-thinking it.

Do your own oil change, use a filter that meet their specs, use oil that meets their specs, make records of your own work, that's my take. They can't deny warranty over that.
I'll use the best filter than my research says is available and be pretty confident.

They can't force you to use an OEM filter - I am guessing or suspect that is your point - I hope- but they can cause a hassle if you use a piece of crap filter and later have issues. Who wants that.

cleatus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
computer fixie guy
brought mine in to have them change oil as the antifreeze was a bit low (under min)
They had a deal going for three full syth changes for 100
she came into the waiting room saying they "had to charge me more because its 5.5 quarts--and they charge for 6....lol"
The change, and tire rotate ended up being 100 bucks...and they didn't bother to fill the antifreeze

well jeep-- ill be doing this myself from now on. you just convinced me that you overcharge for oil i didn't get , and didn't really do all the checks you said you do.
very disappointed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
brought mine in to have them change oil as the antifreeze was a bit low (under min)
They had a deal going for three full syth changes for 100
she came into the waiting room saying they "had to charge me more because its 5.5 quarts--and they charge for 6....lol"
The change, and tire rotate ended up being 100 bucks...and they didn't bother to fill the antifreeze

well jeep-- ill be doing this myself from now on. you just convinced me that you overcharge for oil i didn't get , and didn't really do all the checks you said you do.
very disappointed.
That's bunk because right in the BOOK it says FIVE (5) quarts. Show them the capacities in the owner manual. Also - there's a TSB about oil capacity in the 3.6. You'll never guess what it says the dealer should put back in - yeah, FIVE quarts.

I don't get these "Dealers". Do they not read? Can they not read?
It's in this communication to all dealers, it's in the owner manuals, it's in their tech documents.
My dealer refills fluids - a couple of days after my steering gear replacement the thing must have finally burped out all the air and the PS fluid tank was low. I went in and showed them - the service writer went into the parts department, grabbed a bottle of fluid, filled the reservoir, and handed me the rest of the bottle and said thanks for coming in.
First oil change they had mine TOO full - I went back a few days later after checking things over for a trip and finding it high - they asked if I could stay a few minutes. Sure. They took it in and did another full oil change - filter, oil and all - no charge. "if there are ever any other problems, please let us know".
They've even fixed things I knew I should be charged for - and covered it, no charge.
Now that's how dealer shops should operate.
Dewey in Ankeny - anyone close by let them know I mentioned them - the guy with the blue Gladiator.

No wonder so many are upset with dealer shops and "a bit shy about going back in (to put it mildly)". That bit about the oil is pure BS.

Attachments

CWB

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FLHR, Dodge Challenger, high altitude gladiator.
Occupation
Lithography.
A oil off If anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CWB

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lithography.
some other valid points on why high mileage oil changes are too long

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd use oil with a lower ppm of additives if those additives were better. Other testing by an engineer has shown that more additives don't necessarily translate to better protection.

Anyway, in a more comprehensive test of wear protection capability, AMSOIL outdid Penzoil to a larger degree than shown here.

And then - here we go again "what's the best oil" - of course youtube will give us all the info we need ;-)

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
I would not show these videos over on BITOG. They would eat this guys lunch. Much bad information and a complete misunderstanding of motor oil. His tests are about as scientific as using your finger to check for super heated steam. Please don’t make any choice of oil from this ridiculous video.

CWB

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lithography.
I would not show these videos over on BITOG. They would eat this guys lunch. Much bad information and a complete misunderstanding of motor oil. His tests are about as scientific as using your finger to check for super heated steam. Please don’t make any choice of oil from this ridiculous video.
I don't believe I stated or implied that this video was gospel and everyone should abide by it. I just found it interesting and thought others might as well.
I assumed everyone knew to take u-tube videos or others advice with a grain of salt and do their own research on important matters.
That aside if you watched the whole video he did say that this was a highly subjective assessment and had on his oil scorecard the word ( subjective ) in there.
So are you inferring that his ranking is totally off? If so how is it different from others? His Scientific methodology aside of course.
Many enthusiasts swear by Amsoil, I use it in my Harley.
His list
#1. Amsoil
#2. Redline
#3. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
#4. Pennrite

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
I don't believe I stated or implied that this video was gospel and everyone should abide by it. I just found it interesting and thought others might as well.
I assumed everyone knew to take u-tube videos or others advice with a grain of salt and do their own research on important matters.
That aside if you watched the whole video he did say that this was a highly subjective assessment and had on his oil scorecard the word ( subjective ) in there.
So are you inferring that his ranking is totally off? If so how is it different from others? His Scientific methodology aside of course.
Many enthusiasts swear by Amsoil, I use it in my Harley.
His list
#1. Amsoil
#2. Redline
#3. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
#4. Pennrite
I don’t rank oils. They either meet the required spec for the given application or not. People who “rank” oils do not understand the specifications or the oils themselves. Therefore, I would not hesitate to use any oil that meets the applicable specification for the vehicle engine/transmission/transfer case/differential for the recommended interval. It is ok to have your “favorite” brand, that doesn’t make it the “best.”
Sponsored