Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Also @ShadowsPapa what do you guys think of this diff fluid? I used it on my JK"s and wondering if it is compatible with our JT's
IMG_20200110_190610378.jpg
It should be. I think I posted the Valvoline product I use because it's for limited slip differentials but if you don't run limited slip, it won't really matter. It says differential - as long as it states that or "hypoid" it's for the extreme pressures of the hypoid differential gears. They run under pretty heavy stress and actually slide over each other.
Sponsored

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr ,2020 jt gladiator
I like Bosch or Mobil 1 filters. Mobil 1 uses a synthetic filter material, not typical paper pleats.
I've talked to the Mobile 1 support.
I've also had good luck with NAPA Gold filters - made by Wix - I've used those in my Javelins for several years.

I like Mobile 1 oil (have used in my Eagle for years), or these -

3. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic

4. 5W30 Renewable Lubricants Super High Performance Passenger Vehicle Bio-SynXtra motor oil

Both are highly rated on https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking
Everyone has their preference, I just feel I have had very good performance on what I have used for years, not to mention, most of my vehicles have been resold between 150 & 200k miles, never any oil related issues!

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It should be. I think I posted the Valvoline product I use because it's for limited slip differentials but if you don't run limited slip, it won't really matter. It says differential - as long as it states that or "hypoid" it's for the extreme pressures of the hypoid differential gears. They run under pretty heavy stress and actually slide over each other.
Did you add the limited slip modifier, I know I had to in my older Jeepā€™s with the clutch type LS diff

Sponsored

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does Sport Max have LSD?
I donā€™t know if these new axles require the modifier, if they are a clutch type like the older ones they do, I would check in the owners manual, or with the dealer to make sure

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
I had my first free oil change done at the dealer. When they gave me the receipt it said 6 qts. I said it only takes 5 qts. All three service guys said na na 3.6 takes six. The parts guy was like let me check. Boom 5 qts. Service guy called the tech and asked him he lied and said he only put 5 in. A hour later I was in my driveway taking a quart out. Also I just brought it in for hissing noise in door seal and popping noise when turning. They said they couldnt replicate hissing noise and loosened and re torqued all the front end parts. I noticed it was turning a little funny after I picked it up. I'm now bringing it back because my right wheel is facing to the right when the others straight.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
So the dealer put in too much oil and *AND* they messed up something with the front suspension?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I figure letting the dealer do an oil change or two or three is a good way to gauge if you want them to perform other work or not . . .

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
So the dealer put in too much oil and *AND* they messed up something with the front suspension?

I had a clicking noise when turning so I guess when the retotqued the bolts after loosening them something moved the tire off by about a half inch.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I had my first free oil change done at the dealer. When they gave me the receipt it said 6 qts. I said it only takes 5 qts. All three service guys said na na 3.6 takes six. The parts guy was like let me check. Boom 5 qts. Service guy called the tech and asked him he lied and said he only put 5 in. A hour later I was in my driveway taking a quart out. Also I just brought it in for hissing noise in door seal and popping noise when turning. They said they couldnt replicate hissing noise and loosened and re torqued all the front end parts. I noticed it was turning a little funny after I picked it up. I'm now bringing it back because my right wheel is facing to the right when the others straight.
Hi Beowulf85,
I certainly understand why this is concerning. Please send me a PM with you VIN for our additional support during your next dealer visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares

turd fergusen

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 granite chrystal Gladiator rubicon 6spd
I take a picture of the receipt by the odometer, print it out and keep it in my folder of documentation. I also have an aircraft logbook that I put notes in every time I do anything, including adding air to the tires. In the Porsche community documentation means thousands of dollars on resale value.

Azriel62

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Dodge dually, 05 Toyota Sequoia, 49 power wagon
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™ve changed the oil myself once and just took it in for a free Jeep Wave oil change.
Brought in my own oil and filter and they looked at me like I was crazy.
Then the tech and his buddy wanted to argue with me about it taking 6 qts instead of the 5 I brought in.
I told them I would get the manual out of the glove box if they didnā€™t believe me.
Needless to say,the tech gave me a thumbs up after checking the oil level after changing it.
Was told by my dealership that I could use whatever oil I wanted but needed to use their filter for the warranty not to be voided.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Was told by my dealership that I could use whatever oil I wanted but needed to use their filter for the warranty not to be voided.
Complete, total and absolute BS. Requiring dealer brand parts to preserve a warranty is specifically prohibited by law. To void the warranty, the dealer would have to prove the oil filter caused a failure.
Sponsored